Space Opera authors modern military RPG "Road to Armageddon" goes LIVE!!!

aspqrz

First Post
RPGNow Soldier Banner #3a.jpg

The Road to Armageddon Kickstarter has just gone live!

The first in a series of related releases, the current campaign covers a WW3 in the near future and will consist of at least seven books ... D10 System Core Rules (~171 pages, character creation and game system, based on a D10 pool mechanic), Gear Book (~171 pages. Guns, Gear and Vehicles), Modern Encounters (~210 pages. Encounter Tables. Encounter Descriptions. Special Encounters etc. Detailed enough to allow for the creation of a complete post-nuclear exchange campaign pretty much anywhere), Getting Involved (~48-64 pages. Introductory adventure to get the PCs connected, set in the USA somewhat before WW3), Jungle Traveller (~180 pages. Campaign Book #1 - slightly pre-WW3 mercenary campaign in West Africa ... Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, Nigeria-Biafra), Short Days Ago (~180 pages. Campaign Book #2. West Africa - Nigerian Civil War. Federal Nigeria vs Islamic Republic of Nigeria (Boko Haram) vs Biafran Republic), Let them Laugh at Fate (~180 pages. West and West Central Africa. The war expands - into Cameroon and Chad).

Depending on how successful the KS is, there may be other books as well and a second KS (in 2016) will cover (tentatively) post nuclear exchange operations, possibly in Cuba, the US and (certainly) Europe leading, eventually, to the PCs being 'transferred' into the far future, but certainly usable as a standalone modern military campaign up to that point!

This is the first KickStarter that I have ever done, but I do have something of a track record in the gaming industry, a pretty good one (at least I think so) ... co-author, Space Opera, author of supplements for SO and Chivalry & Sorcery as well as two well received Campaign Books for Aftermath (FGU); author Rigger Black Book (1st Edition. FASA); author Road to Armageddon: EABA, Farm, Forge and Steam (Ideas on how to design a coherent and believable campaign world), Displaced (Generic sideways/dimensional and one way time travel campaign guidelines), Orbis Mundi (real medieval society and economics ca. late 13th-14th centuries) and Audace ad Gloriam (Survival and Exploration equipment for a well known SF game with Black Covers) (Phalanx Games Design. Me.)

The writing for all except the third Campaign Book are complete as I write this and work on the latter continues. Cover artwork has been commissioned and finished for the first three books and two of the Campaign books and more is being commissioned for the remaining books as I type this ... and the completed books are all laid out and ready to go in PDF format as soon as the KS is finished ... though if additional Art stretch goals are achieved this will not be the final version, as that would have to wait for the additional work to be done!

Anyway, head over to ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1009649146/road-to-armageddon-a-modern-military-role-playing

... and have a look!!!

Phil McGregor

Last edited:

aspqrz

First Post
I've added two new Backer/Reward levels to the campaign, Onlooker @ $1 and Observer @ $5, which offer Postcard sized versions of the rulebook Covers ... one in PDF for the Onlooker or six (one of each of the Core Rulebooks, one of each of the Campaign Books) in PDF and Print (postage and handling extra) posted anywhere in the world for the latter.

aspqrz

First Post
The first two days have been quite successful ... 55% funded as of Monday morning, Sydney time!!! Thanks to all who have backed the project ... and the more, the merrier.

As my very first Kickstarter I had no idea what to expect, since most seem to fail, but it looks like this one may well succeed ... fingers crossed ... and maybe even reach some of the stretch goals.

I'd like to think its a mix of the topic, the amount of product actually complete (except for art stretch goals) and, probably, my track record with Space Opera, Aftermath, Rigger Black Book and my PGD products ... but whatever the reason, thanks for all the support!

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon;
Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

aspqrz

First Post
For anyone interested, I have posted a link to a PDF copy of the first 8 pages of the Introductory Adventure in the Updates section of the KS campaign page ... mostly the setup, a small town in western Montana and a corporate retreat in the mountains to its west where ... unexpected things happen ...

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon;
Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

aspqrz

First Post
One important aspect of any post apocalyptic game is the idea of wear ... and it is often not handled well, if it is handled at all. The link here goes to the text of the relevant section from the Gear Book, covering Wear and how to deal with it ... which shows, amongst other things, how much in the way of spares you can strip (hopefully!) from a destroyed, or simply clapped out ... well, anything, really ...

You might like to check it out in the Updates section to see the level of attention to detail involved in the design/writing of Road to Armageddon.

Phil

aspqrz

First Post
Proof copies of the Core Rules and Gear Book Softcovers have arrived and I have posted a photo and some commentary on the Kickstarter website ... and am wrestling with the idiotic 'review' software and clewless script kiddies who constitute CreateSpace's 'technical support' staff and hope to have the Core rules B&W and Colour proof ready by early next week (however, it then takes about two weeks from actual print date, or close to three weeks overall, for those to arrive in Oz, whereas the Lulu ones come from Melbourne, usually overnight, after 2-3 days for printing).

Head over and have a look!

Phil

aspqrz

First Post
Some sample pages of the first of the three linked Biafra campaign adventure books are now up over at the Kickstarter site in the latest (open to all) Update ... head over and have a look!

Phil McGregor

aspqrz

First Post
There are new Backer Levels available, at A$10 and A$15, for the abbreviated Player Handbook in PDF for the first and in Print on Demand for the second (which also includes the Introductory Adventure) ... so, if you've been thinking of backing Road to Armageddon, but wanted a cheaper option, this is your chance!

Phil McGregor

aspqrz

First Post
Lulu Proof Copies smaller.jpg

The above photo is of the D10 Core Rules and D10 Gear Book proofs from Lulu Australia, the one below is of the Modern Encounters Book ...

Modern Encounters 15 pc.jpg

I am still waiting for the two Createspace proof copies (one B&W one colour) from the US - they should arrive here late next week or early the following, and they should give me an idea if the dark cover that the first Lulu proof of Book #1 had, which had to be lightened through two more go-arounds, is merely an artifact of their printer or not.

I've also changed the Stretch Goals slightly - since I am now offering the cut down Player's Handbook as a basic reward level, everything else has been moved down one level (roughly $1250 less each) ...

And we're now at 88% funding with 14 days to go! Looking good!

Thanks for all your support and here's hoping that the remaining half of the campaign period is as successful as the first half!

Phil McGregor

aspqrz

First Post
RtA is Funded! 103% as of a little while ago! :) :) :)

Yay!

Thanks for all who've had a look ... and special thanks to the 31 Backers!!!

Phil McGregor

Remove ads