D&D 5E Spear houserule

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Here's my take on it. Ready for playtesting.

SPEAR
Simple Melee Weapon
Cost: 2gp
Damage: 1d6 piercing
Weight: 3 lbs.
Properties: Reach, Thrown (range 20/60), Versatile (1d8), Special
Special: the spear has the Thrown property when it is wielded with one hand, and the Reach property when it is wielded with two hands. While armed with a spear, you may use the Ready action to brace the spear against a charging opponent. If an opponent moves more than 20 feet toward you and enters your threatened area on its turn, your readied melee attack deals double damage (or triple damage on a critical hit).

I realize, and accept, that this house-ruled version of the Spear will make it the most optimal choice of simple, melee weapon in my game. And I'm fine with that, because it fits the culture and technology level of certain regions of my game world. I'd rather invent better spears than invent reasons for everyone to have swords.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
This seems like it should not be the problem but the goal of spears. Letting big lines of untrained people double-up.

However, my personal fix is just upping spears to d8/d10 if the user has Martial weapon proficiency. No problem with it as of yet. Originally we considered a possible issue of it being the only d8 thrown weapon but DEX already had the rapier as their sole d8 finesse weapon and STR can really use any boost it can get.

Huh, I had just made the "battle spear" as a martial weapon, but I think this is a neat idea

Yaarel

Mind Mage
A cool thing about weapons is how modular they are. A DM can easily supply a list of different weapons available for each regional setting. And a DM can easily swap weapons in or out of a list.

How about?

Martial Melee Weapons
Longspear 1d8 piercing (4 lb) Reach, thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d10), special

Special. A longspear can be thrown when one-handed, and has reach when two-handed.

Yaarel

Mind Mage
If adding a separate weapon, like a "longspear", are there any significant problems with regard to proficiency, feat qualifications, fighting styles, or so on? The special description could be modified to make the intended ease of use clearer.

By the way, a typical spear is about 7 feet (6 to 8), and the longspear is about 9 feet (8 to 10).

Quartz

Hero
Yeah, I think errata’ing Polearm Master to only work when using the weapon 2-handed rather than giving up on spears with reach is the way to go.

Watch the duel between Achilles and Hector in Troy: both start with spears and shields and both clearly have the PAM feat, striking with their spear butts.

After following along with the discussion and put a lot of thought in it, I think I'm going to revise my house rule.

I discovered that there were phalanxes with ranks of one-handed spear and shield wielders, and they did have enough reach to attack from behind the rank in front of them.

That being said, I've decided that the easiest way to deal with that in game is just to say it's a special property of phalanx formation--for mass combat rules. On the standard D&D level it doesn't need to be represented.

That leaves me with just my other issue--wanting the spear to be better--and the way I'm planning on doing that is creating a martial spear with the same stats as a war pick (d8, versatile d10, piercing). I'll treat the simple spear as the basic weapon that's ubiquitous and easy to make, while the martial version ("warspear" for lack of a better term) is the kind that is balanced to be used in a phalanx situation, and just in general balanced better for a weapon that you aren't intending to throw. Tribal warriors and other statblocks with limited military technology will keep the simple spear, while guards and other statblocks demonstrating higher military tech-levels will get upgraded to the warspear.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4