Special Conversion Thread: Unicorns

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I know the regular unicorn doesn't have treasure in 3e (it had type X in previous editions), but the bay unicorn has treasure type U, and they're evil ,so they would probably be more greedy than a standard unicorn, so for treasure, we could do no coins, standard goods and items?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, good idea on the treasure.

Added to Homebrews.

Replace magic circle against evil with magic circle against good, or just drop it?

Keep or drop wild empathy?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm ambivalent about the magic circle, but I guess I lean toward keeping it (against good). Drop wild empathy.

Cleon

Legend
I'm ambivalent about the magic circle, but I guess I lean toward keeping it (against good). Drop wild empathy.

There's nothing in the original description to support either magic circle versus good or wild empathy, so I'd drop them.

That said, I don't mind keeping magic circle - but wild empathy should certainly go!

The treasure is a good idea.

I guess the SLAs are next.

The original
has burning hands, heat metal, produce flame, pyrotechnics and fireball
at caster level 11, 1/day each.

All those spells are in the SRD. Do we want to keep the frequency and CL?

I'd like to drop the CL to 8th or so and make the burning hands 3/day.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
No magic circle, and I agree to Cleon's suggestions about caster level and x/day.

Do we want to give them a smoke-sight quality? The original says that they're immune to smoke in addition to fire effects.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nice idea on the smoke-sight!

Updated.

We need to figure out limits on the greater teleport SLA. The standard unicorn has the boundaries of "its forest". Since these are subterranean, that's a bit more difficult. Just saying "its cavern" might not be as easy to adjudicate. Perhaps we should clarify that its territory is a cavern network of 1-mile in diameter or somesuch?

Skills: 9

Feats: 3

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Su seems right for smoke-sight.

1 mile diameter cavern network works for me.

These have fewer ranks than unicorns, but I think that similar skills fit. I'd just replace Jump with Climb to fit the underground environments perhaps better. Ranks-wise, maybe Climb 3, Listen 3, Spot 3 and use the racial bonuses for Move Silently and Survival?

Following the unicorn, Alertness, Skill Focus (Survival). and maybe Ability Focus (pyrotechnics) or (fireball)? The last feat would be good to emphasize their connection to fire.

Remove ads