Speciality Priests for Swords and Wizardry

Sitara

Explorer
AD&D2e had spheres to differentiate priests, while 3e/Pathfinder have domains. 5e has subclasses. My problem is there is no way to differentiate clerics in swords and wizardry. I don't need anything as detailed as specific spell lists, as the spells available are already so few. But special abilities for a priest of a specific deity would be cool. For instance, a deity of war like tempus or muir would grant bonus to hit and damage with a a favored weapon, while a deity of animals might grant speak with animals as a power usable a couple of times per day. And so on. Paladins could also be granted such abilities, especially considering how pathetic paladins are in most OSR games.

Any resources for handling this?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I can think of any resources as such, but it would be very easy to make up a list of abilities yourself. On the other hand, if you do that, do you then need to add an ability to the other classes, for balance reasons?

Bera

Explorer
There's a lot of variant classes out there, but something simple is often good: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/zerobarrier/magical-theorems-dark-pacts/

If one or two variant cleric classes doesn't do float your boat, why not bring back domains? It would be pretty simple to concoct a few domains based on third or 5th edition ones, just add one spell per spell level to the cleric (or other "clericy" classes) and you've got a unique order with a specialized kind of magic. No need for a granted power, flame clerics being able to cast burning hands would pretty much do the trick. You might consider taking away 1 or two spells from each level of the cleric list to keep the core cleric list generic and re-add miracles appropriate to any domain, that way spiritual hammer or blade barrier might be restricted to a war domain.

Remove ads