D&D 5E Speculation Thread: the "Wonderful, Scary, Terrifying" book being announced this month

Given folks have used up all the silly guesses I'm going to give some serious ones.

1. Darksun, it's super dangerous so scary, dystopian even, and I think it's likely it will come with a Psion & races UA.

2. Planescape is my back up, it has Fiendish afterlives of all sorts so lots of room for scariness.

3. My back up to my back is Innistrad. Yes it's steps on some toes, but never been to Innistrad in an official hard back book. It's number 3 because it steps on Ravenlofts toes alot.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't know what the heck you're talking about. I ran a mini adventure using Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft for my group, and it was plenty scary, especially using the Survivor mechanics (which you ignored my mention of). The tools to have a great horror adventure are in the book. Just because you don't think 5e is good for horror doesn't negate that or my personal experiences with using the book's tools at my table.
It's strange that you would complain that I "ignored" your mentioning of survivors given how you literally quoted me mentioning survivors, there was no reason to repeat myself. The rest/recovery mechanics & extremely powerful PCs who don't need magic items are still an issue that thwarts horror & fear. Survivors help with some aspects yes, but level zero start mechanics have been around for quite some time & eventually the players will need to step up to being multiclassed into or full level 1 PCs with some extra toys from their survivor time. Once that happens the campaign is right back where it started before briefly patching things with the survivors.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's strange that you would complain that I "ignored" your mentioning of survivors given how you literally quoted me mentioning survivors, there was no reason to repeat myself.
. . . What part of that post of yours is mentioning "Survivors"? Because unless I'm blind, you didn't explicitly mention them there. I've reread that post 5 times now, and I can't see it.
The rest/recovery mechanics & extremely powerful PCs who don't need magic items are still an issue that thwarts horror & fear.
So you can regain HP on a short or long rest. So? The DMG already has rules for a Gritty Realism variant of the Rest System. If you want PCs to regain HP less often than in the base game, you already have the tools for that. Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is intended to be used with the core rulebooks, so it doesn't need reprinting.
Survivors help with some aspects yes, but level zero start mechanics have been around for quite some time & eventually the players will need to step up to being multiclassed into or full level 1 PCs with some extra toys from their survivor time. Once that happens the campaign is right back where it started before briefly patching things with the survivors.
. . . Survivors cannot multiclass. They can't even progress beyond level 3. They're not simply a "Level 0 mechanic", they're more than that, because, RAW, they don't actually ever gain real class levels. They're a completely different system.

You can absolutely run a horror game in Ravenloft using the rules presented in the Three Core Rulebooks and VRGtR. I have. Just because you don't think that they'd work doesn't mean that they wouldn't.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Maybe we're heading to the Upside Down?
Nah, they said that they hadn't been there before. They went there in the Stranger Things Starter Set. Also, the Upside Down is basically just the Shadowfell (I think they even mention this in the second season, but as the "Plane of Shadow", because the "Shadowfell" was (re-)invented in 4e).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
is it? DMd the set and don't remember going there. i know the show does, but that adventure seemed more classical.
I know it at least mentions it and says that it's how the Demogorgon travels. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought that there was at least a doorway/portal to the Upside Down included in the adventure.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases