D&D 5E Speculation thread! Vecna? Giants UA?

I'm wondering if it's for a giants-style Fizbans myself. On the plus side, it would definitely an interestimg subject that could be expanded more than Volo's did. It would be a great follow up to Fizban's. On the minus side, I'm not sure there's enough material for a full 5e book with just giants on their own, or if they are going to start replacing Volo's wholesale this soon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm wondering if it's for a giants-style Fizbans myself. On the plus side, it would definitely an interestimg subject that could be expanded more than Volo's did. It would be a great follow up to Fizban's. On the minus side, I'm not sure there's enough material for a full 5e book with just giants on their own, or if they are going to start replacing Volo's wholesale this soon.
I mean, they already pulled Volo's from digital circulation and reprinted most of it. Giants adjacent creatures, such as Ogres, Trolls, Orcs, etc. plus the Primordial linked Dinosaurs seem more than adequate to flesh out a Fizban's style book. Particularly if they plumb the weird oddball Giants from throughout D&D.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There have been several other types of giants than just the usual suspects in the MM. They could do a whole book on giants and other giantish races like ogres and trolls.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Labeled as Legacy, specifically, as well, and almost all the material reprinted in a new book. They aren't pulling the book actively, but I doubt they will be reprinting it again.

I think thst being in Volo's makes it more likely to be a replacement book, not less.
As long as "almost all" you mean "leaving out a hundred+ pages from each book".

There were large and detailed lore sections delving into a number of player and monstrous races that were not included. Full of detailed information, adventure hooks, ideas, culture and useful things for running the game and for exploring your PC's ancestry.

MP:MM is literally not a replacement for either of the two "legacy" books. It is a replacement for some sections in each. The bestiary chapter in each books, and some character racial ability lists. This is a fact that can be easily verified.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As long as "almost all" you mean "leaving out a hundred+ pages from each book".

There were large and detailed lore sections delving into a number of player and monstrous races that were not included. Full of detailed information, adventure hooks, ideas, culture and useful things for running the game and for exploring your PC's ancestry.

MP:MM is literally not a replacement for either of the two "legacy" books. It is a replacement for some sections in each. The bestiary chapter in each books, and some character racial ability lists. This is a fact that can be easily verified.
Yes, and that lore was getting WotC in hot water, hence the aggressive errata to the last printing and their scrubbing as much of it as they could from Multiverse. The lore is specifically something they want to replace, for the brand.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes, and that lore was getting WotC in hot water, hence the aggressive errata to the last printing and their scrubbing as much of it as they could from Multiverse. The lore is specifically something they want to replace, for the brand.
Here's the errata page: Book Updates | Sage Advice | Dungeons & Dragons

If you notice, there isn't ANY errata for Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes at all. Saying that the lore has been highly errata'd and scrubbed just isn't true.

As for Volo's Tome of Foe's, there's one half page of errata to ~100 pages of lore, so about 0.5%. And then the standard changes that they did to each PC race stat block removing alignment and set ability modifiers, but not lore.

I would have to say this is incorrect. Touching none of the lore in one book, and half a percent of the lore from the other does not count as "aggressive errata" nor "scrubbing as much of it as they could from the Multiverse". Again, this is a verifiable fact and I've provided the links you can check yourself.

Remove ads