D&D 5E Speculation thread: Wonders of the Multiverse

darjr

I crit!
From this thread.

So Planescape then? OK. But what about the Giants stuff? And the Deck of Many Things? Anything else in there?

Could the Deck be a Gardmore Alley thing? I’ve heard it did well for 4e and I like it enough. But could it be a full 5e adventure path?

Does the Deck tie to anything else? Greyhawk maybe?

I wanna read speculation!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
An Adventure would make sense for the Deck of Many Things material, but as a twist maybe it's for an Adventure in a Planescape Boxed Set similar to Spelljammer. It would make sense: a plane hopping series of episodes, paired with a weird Planar Besitary book and an Adventurers Guide with various options.

The Giant stuff feels like a different product, which Crawford seems to hint at in the accompanying video. The Giant material seems to be partly a second draft for some of what they did last go around with Giants, Rules, and Primordial stuff. Still feeling a Fiznfor Giants.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
From this thread.

So Planescape then? OK. But what about the Giants stuff? And the Deck of Many Things? Anything else in there?

Could the Deck be a Gardmore Alley thing? I’ve heard it did well for 4e and I like it enough. But could it be a full 5e adventure path?

Does the Deck tie to anything else? Greyhawk maybe?

I wanna read speculation!
It could be Planescape coming before the edition update and Greyhawk as the classic setting coming with it. There was a metric ton of planar stuff in it, so Planescape seems like a pretty obvious choice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What’s a Fizfnor Giant?
An autocorrect Frankenstein's monster version of "Fizban's for Giants."

Basically, I forsee a book similar to Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, but focused on Giants and other Primordial Lore and Crunch. So a combo of what we saw in the last UA with the Giant and Runic stuff here, amd a bunch of RP material for Giants, Adventure building stuff and lair maps, bestiary, etc.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It could be Planescape coming before the edition update and Greyhawk as the classic setting coming with it. There was a metric ton of planar stuff in it, so Planescape seems like a pretty obvious choice.
we know that 2023 is slated to see an old Setting revisited similar to DragonLance and Spelljammer this year. The real options seemed to be Planescape and Dark Sun, and Planescape seems the smart bet at the moment.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If they do Planescape and Darksun in 2023, they will then have done all (ish) the big settings in time for the 50th Anniversary Core. To me, this seems like more evidence that 50e is going to be only slightly iterative - it might be a bit of a departure from 2014 5e, but it won't be much of a jump from what we've seen lately.

There's just no way (IMO) that they'll put out Planescape, and then make it obsolete a year later. Anything that's in there will have to jive with 50e. So... that said, that means this UA is the kind of stuff we're likely to see going forward.

darjr

I crit!
If they do Planescape and Darksun in 2023, they will then have done all (ish) the big settings in time for the 50th Anniversary Core. To me, this seems like more evidence that 50e is going to be only slightly iterative - it might be a bit of a departure from 2014 5e, but it won't be much of a jump from what we've seen lately.

There's just no way (IMO) that they'll put out Planescape, and then make it obsolete a year later. Anything that's in there will have to jive with 50e. So... that said, that means this UA is the kind of stuff we're likely to see going forward.
Yea, it’s a different world for them. Older books still do well. Even some of the highly criticized ones sell, I think.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases