D&D 5E Spell Cards for D&D 5E using Magic Set Editor (MSE)

pdzoch

Explorer
Thanks a lot!! Before next week I will try to make a few more cards with Strange Eons, before switching to MSE. I need to assess better how much time-consuming Strange Eons is, because to my understanding it doesn't use templates, so for new cards I will have to copy-paste previous ones and replace text and picture. If it proves to be messy and time-wasting (e.g. if it forces me to manually resize/position each image at pixel-perfect level) then I'll switch to MSE. I will certainly appreciate any help or guidance :)

Draft template is done. I've PM'd you for additional design questions. Once we've settled on a design, I'll start a new thread with the design for others to see.

pdzoch

Explorer
Thanks a lot!! Before next week I will try to make a few more cards with Strange Eons, before switching to MSE. I need to assess better how much time-consuming Strange Eons is, because to my understanding it doesn't use templates, so for new cards I will have to copy-paste previous ones and replace text and picture. If it proves to be messy and time-wasting (e.g. if it forces me to manually resize/position each image at pixel-perfect level) then I'll switch to MSE. I will certainly appreciate any help or guidance :)

Moved to new thread.

Kitasi

Explorer
Spell text area background

I love this template!

Some of my players however, are a bit older and have asked if there was a way to have the spell text part of the card have a blank white background instead of parchment? Is that something that is easy for you to do?

thanks,

Kitasi

pdzoch

Explorer
I've designed a style set the is easier to read as requested. White text field and non-textured color field so the print is easier to read. I've included the additional style file on the download page.

Magic Missile.png
[edited to include Sample Card]

Last edited:

Orukal

First Post
Color me confused...

I've used MSE for 4e spell/class/powers/etc cards but for the life of me I'm coming up short how to add these to MSE. I've downloaded all of the files here but the "Create a new set" and "Open and existing set" doesn't show your cards at all. Any help as to what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

pdzoch

Explorer
I've used MSE for 4e spell/class/powers/etc cards but for the life of me I'm coming up short how to add these to MSE. I've downloaded all of the files here but the "Create a new set" and "Open and existing set" doesn't show your cards at all. Any help as to what I'm doing wrong?

o.k. We'll try a little troubleshooting here. All files will have to be unzipped. All files will have to be placed in the Data Folder under the MSE Folder. If you have MSE open already, you will have to close it and reopen it. If you still have an error, PM me.

I went ahead and updated the game file just in case it was out of date from the style files. Download the latest game file again and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:

Orukal

First Post
Here's where I feel foolish. What I wasn't doing was putting the downloaded files into the /data folder.

What was mixing me up was that the 4e set that I had been using had data files just like the ones you provided, but they also had files that provided specifc power, class abilities, etc information that you don't have.

Years ago, I put those data files into the /data folder like you mentioned and then put the .mse-set files (The files with saved data that was actually the information put on the cards) in my D&D folder. The problem is, I forgot that I had done that and I thought that I just needed to put your files into the same D&D folder and I could open them right up.

I don't know if that made any sense at all, but I see what I blatantly did wrong. Once I create a few cards, I'll save then and then a new .mse-set file will be created with that information. Anyway, the blanks look great and I'm off to the races. Thank you very much.

pdzoch

Explorer
I'm developing a few additional styles for my D&D Spell Card template. The downloads appear to be popular enough to warrant some additional styles. I've already added two, one by request from the community. As I begin work on some additional styles, now is the time to request themes or style features.

In the queue are the following:

Scroll Theme -- Scroll theme with expanded text fields, top and bottom borders are unique scroll cases to signify different spell classes, wax seals (with unique spell school symbols) and ribbons to signify spell school, rituals, concentration, and domains. [in development now]
Elven theme -- simple design with elegant accents, probably more silver and gold line art, and tengwar font for Elven Language scripts decoration. (ideas welcomed)
Dwarven/Norse theme -- Rune font accent, theme to reflect harsh wilderness/mountain environment, probably a carved in stone look somewhere. (ideas welcomed)
The elf and dwarf theme are counter/complementing themes, whereas the elf theme will be air/forest, the dwarf theme will reflect sea(norse)/mountains(dwarf).

Good part about the style is that you will be able to intermix the styles, selecting them to be specific to a card in your set. And they use the same parameters, so there is no data loss as the themes/styles are changed.

Does anyone have a theme request? Style request? Cool idea they would like to see on the spell cards?

pdzoch

Explorer
Attached are some samples of the latest style for the Spell Card template. I intend to finish up the style this weekend and post it to the download site, but I wanted to give users an opportunity to provide feedback before I go final with the design. I wanted to avoid a simple re-skinning of the old card design, but I also wanted to use the same data entries so that the styles were easily swapped. The Scroll Cases are different for each class. I've also provided an option to use either scroll ribbons or scroll watermarks to indicate spell domains (oaths, circles, etc.) {see example Detect Magic card for the two versions]. The wax seal at the bottom is color coded and icon coded by spell school, while the blue and white ribbons indicate concentration and ritual spells (a consistent design from the previous styles and follows the similar color scheme). The spell level is indicated by the gold disk on the bottom scroll case. Because the graphic elements represent many of the text fields (class, spell domains, spell school, concentration, ritual, and spell level) I was able to expand the text field to accommodate larger font size and more text in the spell description. What are your thoughts on this design?

Magic Missile Scroll Style.jpgCompelled Duel.jpgDetect Magic.jpgDetect Magic2.jpg

Orukal

First Post
Most definitely liking the design so far. One thing that I'm looking for, and it appears that have this, is a card that maximizes the available space. With 5th edition, I like having cards for racial and class abilities. Since most of these don't have casting time, components, etcetera, that's just wasted space on generic spell cards. I like a card that I can give the title to and then just write down the information that I want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases