D&D General Spell Compendium Apps/Software

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Does any one know of any apps or software that you can use to catalog spells or similar Homebrew?

Currently I use OneNote to document my Homebrew, but I would like a better offline system for spells. Preferably one that i can search for spells by class, level, school, and more (Similar to DNDBeyond, just offline). Bonus if it supports adding custom class/subclass spell lists and epic/above 9th level spells

Stormonu

Legend
There’s a thread on here that is an excel document that tracks all the official and some 3rd party material. You could use that as a template, or add your homebrew to it.

Here’s the thread: https://www.enworld.org/threads/5e-lists-of-monsters-spells-races-feats-etc.491069/

I used to use MS Access to store a database of my D&D stuff and put a nice-looking front end onto it, but that’s become expensive. Google Docs & OpenOffice might have a similar application as part of their office suite.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
There’s a thread on here that is an excel document that tracks all the official and some 3rd party material. You could use that as a template, or add your homebrew to it.

Here’s the thread: https://www.enworld.org/threads/5e-lists-of-monsters-spells-races-feats-etc.491069/

I used to use MS Access to store a database of my D&D stuff and put a nice-looking front end onto it, but that’s become expensive. Google Docs & OpenOffice might have a similar application as part of their office suite.
Thanks! I’m aware of that thread, really appreciate @MechaTarrasque putting it together.

Access looks similar to what I’m looking for. I’ll see if there are any alternatives i can use.

R_J_K75

Legend
Does any one know of any apps or software that you can use to catalog spells or similar Homebrew?
I have a vague recollection of using an app on a tablet or phone I no longer have in the earlier days of 5E and I think this may be it. I can't attest to how good it is as I used it infrequently and quite awhile ago. Give it a try though

jgsugden

Legend
I have been slowly moving my inventory of homebrew from the editions into Excel. I have two tabs - One lists all the spell 'fields' as separate columns, and the other is a one page viewed that allows me to type in the name of a spell and then it looks up the text of the spell and runs a macro to format it well. I can filter on the giant list, or just look up a spell on the viewer tab to get a pretty view of it. The solution works well for me.

Most (?) of the VTTs have the capability to do this, including homebrew spells. But you either have to enter the spells or get the products/books int he VTT format (for those that have them. But it's overkill for what you want. For instance, Fantasy Grounds does all of that, but so much more. For something as simple as you are looking for, just use an excel spreadsheet and put in hyper links to the documents or sources for each spell.

Remove ads