Spell Compendium - Spell Name Changes

So I'm looking at the Spell Compendium excerpt on WotC's site and I come across a list of spells with changed names.

The thing that I immediately notice is that they removed all traces to famous NPCs from the spell names. I get why this is done in the SRD (to protect their IP), but in one of their own products this strikes me as strange.

I suppose this is for those who don't like references to a world they don't use, but I personally like the sound of Aganazzar's Scorcher better than just scorch. It just gives the spell more style.

Thoughts?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I agree--names add color to spells. The book has little enough color as it is, does there really need to be less?

Maybe they save money on ink? :uhoh:

talmar

First Post
I believe the point was to make those names spells setting generic. To allow all the spells to be seemlessly integrated into any world.

I agree though, don't like it. I much prefered the named spells for that exact reason. Bigby's Slapping Hand is much cooler sounding than Slapping Hand but yeah, Aganazzar's scorcher being renamed to Scorch simply sucks. That's by far the worst of the renamed.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I agree about the name changes. I think it's silly to change Bigby's slapping hand to slapping hand when there are about a half-dozen Bigby's spells in the Player Handbook.

Unless...

Maybe, just maybe, they plan to add the whole kit-n-kaboodle to the SRD, and this was just a means of making that easier? :D

(Okay, I know, not likely. But a guy can hope...)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Unless...

Maybe, just maybe, they plan to add the whole kit-n-kaboodle to the SRD, and this was just a means of making that easier? :D

(Okay, I know, not likely. But a guy can hope...)
So, I take it someone sold you tickets for a ski weekend in hell and you're hoping for appropriate weather... ;)

Remathilis

Legend
Good. Wish I could remove Bigby, Tenser, Mordekainenr, Otiluke, Melf, Rary, and Tasha from my PHB as well.

They SO ruin the flavor of my Eberron game... :D

VirgilCaine

First Post
Remathilis said:
Good. Wish I could remove Bigby, Tenser, Mordekainenr, Otiluke, Melf, Rary, and Tasha from my PHB as well.

They SO ruin the flavor of my Eberron game... :D

Another reason not to play Eberron!

I also think it sucks beyond belief.

Remove ads