• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Fenris

Adventurer
"Aye" replies Zef. "My vader was there from the beginning, helped them become the force they were. And they stood good by him at the time. I left a long time ago as well." Zef takes another drink. He listens to Kat and Blaise ask their polite questions. Zef chuckles to himself. he knew that after a few drinks, a direct questions from a fellow aanarden would get the information easily.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]While Piet Hein Van Djik clings to life by the skin of his teeth, he still proves a true host as is the custom of dwarvenkind. The potent jenever flows quickly and generously for whosoever wishes to drink, but especially for Old Zef and Katerina. There must be some secret Dutch club where they tell stories of how drunk they were able to get non-dwarves, for there is a mischievous glint in Van Djik’s eye whenever he refills Katerina’s shot glass. “We’re well enough away from customs of the Old Country, jonge dame,” he toasts with a shaky hand.

Furrowing his brows, the ancient dwarf sinks into his chair, his milky yellow eyes wincing as he recalls some memory of his time as a privateer. ”I wasn’t a dwarf given to the taking of slaves…” he begins with a distant look on his face, as if in the telling of the story he inches one step closer to Death’s embrace. As Van Djik begins, his tattooed manservant quietly closes the drawing rooms’ doors behind you to give the ancient dwarf privacy as he relates his ghost story…[/SECTION]

GM: This begins a Ghost Story… Anyone who correctly guesses the type of ghost (see below) or derives a primary moral from the tale gains Inspiration! So at maximum 2 PCs could get Inspiration. However, guess wrong and the next time you encounter that type of ghost you start the encounter frightened!

“Types of ghost” might include…
  • Haunts – not harmful just scary, only move a little, anchored to one place typically where they died, can’t speak but may gesture
  • Poltergeists – invisible specters that can throw things, typically confused and angry
  • Tragic Ghosts – bound to their state of undeath by some tragic error or unresolved regret
  • Manifestations – residual spiritual energy manifesting only on certain times/dates/events, cursed to repeat the same action over and over, more of an illusion than an entity
  • Deathly Apparitions – ghosts that appear to someone when they are near death, typically loved ones or ancestors, usually beneficent
  • Possessing Ghost – an undead spirit possessing a creature, typically a child, a madman, a descendant, or an animal
  • Haunted Objects – an object being moved by a willfull undead spirit from the Ethereal Plane or serving as the spirit’s fetter to the Material Plane
  • or any of the undead listed in the Monster Manual, usually but not always incorporeal

[SECTION]”I was but a young dwarf with no more than 21 winters when I was captured by the Spanish and made a galley slave. For four years I toiled at the great oars,” he looks down at a shaky palm marred by rowing calluses. ”It was a half-elf that governed the galley, as liberal with his cruel words as with his whip. El Sacapuntas (The Sharpener) they called him. At last I was traded during a prisoner exchange…only to be taken captive soon thereafter near the shores of Cuba. Another fours years I toiled aboard a Spanish warship. I can still hear the grind of the oar-shaft against the channel-locks, the groaning of men sweating hell for leather. But again fortune smiled upon me; the captain’s concubine read my palm and told me I would betray everything I held most precious and I would die in misery and infirmity. Thinking this meant my betrayal by rowing for the Spanish who would work me to death, I begged her for the key to my salvation. Were it not for her seeing something in me, for some shred of compassion in her, I would never have made it home.”

Rolling his empty shot glass over in his hand, Van Djik squints his eyes as he studies the lone oil lamp on his desk. ”Spanish ships. Portugese ships. I took them all. The fleet under my command grew. And in 1628, I took four Spanish treasure galleons in the Bay of Matanzas, the very same Cuban bay where the Spaniards once took me captive. Eighty Years of War.” His victory in taking a treasure fleet from the Spanish Main went down in the annals of Dutch history, never again accomplished by any pirate or privateer since then. ”I thought to myself: I am rich, I have a wife and children, my name will be remembered forever. Piet Hein! Piet Hein! They would cheer. That palm-reading concubine must have been wrong after all. A dwarf can make his own fate. Ack, ack ack…”

Ruefully heaving a rattling sigh as he recovers from his coughing fit, Van Djik continues his story, ”It was my own pride as much as the Dunkirer cannonball that turned my fortunes. The Spanish Armada de Flandes (Flemish Fleet) supported a band of mercenaries, privateers, and blockade runners. Dunkirers we called them for they operated from Dunkirk bay. I should have been killed, but the artificers of my motherland are skilled.” Pulling back his lapel enough to reveal scar tissue intermingled with a sophisticated wooden prosthetic left shoulder and arm. ”My ships were destroyed or routed. In shame, I sulked away to the Caribbean. Perhaps I never truly left here, some part of my soul tied to these hot humid islands…the place of my greatest victory…I thought, maybe, I could reclaim that…”

"Because I'd been whipped in the galley, I wasn't a dwarf given to the taking of slaves..." He repeats in an raspy quiet voice. Van Djik pauses for a moment in his story, as if locked in a trance, his breath coming in ragged shallow inhalations as if he’d seen Death itself waiting for him by the windowsill.
[/SECTION]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: OK [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], you can make a DC 16 Wisdom (Insight) check now to determine Van Djik's motives in wanting to postpone his death. Or you can wait for the next part of his story and let the DC drop to 14. Up to you.

On a success, you determine his motives in wanting to postpone his death.

On a success by 5+, you determine his motives & can choose one of the following:
  • See a brief haunting image in your mind's eye (or even projected onto a reflective surface in the room with a cantrip like minor illusion or something) of one part of Van Djik's story, such as seeing a mentioned NPC's face.
  • Deduce the general nature of his life-preserving charms as well as their origin/who made them.
  • Something else? Work it out with me. :)

On a failure, you can't decipher his motives because he's such a conflicted old dwarf.

On a failure by 5+, you must choose one of the following:
  • You become so sucked into his ghost story that you can't speak and begin hallucinating with effects similar to the phantasmal killer spell.
  • You completely misread his motives, perhaps clouded by anger at hearing/imagining his involvement in slavery.
  • Withering under your steely gaze, Van Djik suffers a coughing fit and cannot continue the story until he receives magical healing or bed rest (i.e. a long rest).
  • The djab Yellow Jack (aka Xekik) subtly influences the ghost story, scrying upon the drawing room, gaining information on you and your party members, and causing the oil lamp to go out.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Night winds rattle the window panes and the shutters as the oil lamp flickers. Returning to the present moment, Van Djik blinks back tears and quietly refills the shot glasses, the smell of juniper alcohol as potent as the smell of Death stalking the ancient dwarf. ”It was a dark time for me. I could not look myself in the eye, all my prayers felt like ash in my mouth, my correspondence with my family diminished. You could have lit me aflame with a match I was so soaked in jenever. Then the Englishman they call Blackbeard came to me. He had a ship, a schooner called The Coral Curse, and he wanted me to strike against the Spanish, to teach a crew of pirates all that I’d learned commanding a fleet of privateers. And seeing my chance at redemption, I set to the task. At first, we had many good years…” A fleeting smile passes over his cragged face as Van Djik recalls bygone times. ”My old 2nd Mate Beck, he’s still alive. Dr. Flichard, that cheeky bastard, even served aboard for a time before settling as Nassau’s physician. Ghede, my aide, began as my lookout,” he gestures towards the closed drawing room doors after his manservant. ”Others too…but they keep me at arm’s distance after what I wrought…”

Bitterly finishing his shot glass, Van Djik suppresses a cough with his kerchief, fingers of his gloved prosthetic hand clenching the arm of his chair. ”It was off the coast of Hispaniola that we came across a sinking slave ship. All my years in the Spanish galley returned to me. Those poor Spanish navymen who weren’t taken by the sea died at the end of our rifles and bayonets. We brought many surviving slaves aboard, and I offered them a chance to join us, but their leader Sambo refused.” Van Djik’s brow twitches, his face beginning to contort into a hateful expression before he heaves a sigh, ”Said I was cursed. The Black Spot. Not one among them would serve under me. I tell you, it gnawed at some dark doubt in my mind, but in my hubris I buried that doubt. We were preparing to liberate more slaves trapped in the galley when the Achéron, captained by Jacques Cassard, came to respond to a call for help from the sinking ship. I knew this French privateer well, for he’d destroyed the Dutch vessel Leeuwin earlier that year. A real fight it were. Smoke and blood, all cannons a pounding, screams, death…”

His voice diminishing to a raspy strangled hush, Van Djik gazes across the table to Katerina and Old Zef, ”Sambo demanded we rescue the galley slaves, but we had to sail or be blown to smithereens. A lucky shot killed half the men in my own galley, and so I demanded Sambo’s people get on the oars. The black bokor (warlock) refused, his pride even greater than my own, demanding we first rescue the others.” Looking down shamefully, Van Djik’s lower lip pulses as his yellowed eyes search for some meaning. ”I had Beck and the others make them go below at gunpoint, and I chained them to the galley myself. If the chain was all they understood, I told myself, if that was what it took for them to save themselves and to save us, then it was the chain they’d get. And that man, that serpent-tongued leader of the slaves, he leveled a dead-eyed stare on me and tells me that I’ll live to regret my choice for the rest of my days.”

”We drove off the Achéron, but the sounds of those drowning slaves crying for mercy from their gods… I can still hear them, just there, as if they were right outside the window, waiting, calling for me…” Again, Van Djik’s breathing slows, his milky jaundiced eyes growing distant. Even the temperature of the drawing room has dropped several degrees, surely from the dropping evening temperature. Though his eyes water, Van Djik is drained of tears. He continues in a haunted monotone, ”That’s when the sickness struck. Limping back to Nassau, half dead, the mast damaged, and then yellow fever overcame us. We’d be given no safe harbor in any port. We’d become that most dreaded of fates awaiting a sailor: Trapped on a hospital ship. Each night, the slaves would be praying, and that bokor of theirs, that Sambo, just watching me with all the wickedness of Cain in his eyes. Nightmares and madness began to overtake my crew. There were shadows, things in the corner of the eye. It was a djab (dark spirit), my man Ghede told me, summoned by the bokor. And so one night, in a drunken fit, I grabbed my axe and I went down to the galley to demand the bokor break the spell or take his life… And he was nowhere. Vanished into thin air.”

Clenching his fist, the ancient dwarf fights back a tick from curling his face into a snarl. ”How could that palm-reader all those years ago have known? It's a miracle any of us survived. The disease ran its course, and eventually we were allowed to make berth in Nassau, but the men under me – those who survived – never looked at me the same. And the surviving slaves whispered I was the Devil behind my back. Blackbeard’s hopes for me were dashed, as was his ship upon the beach. I was finished, done for. But somewhere in the Caribbean that bokor roams free, somewhere, maybe even on this island, Sambo works his dark magic, beguiling his people toward meaningless sacrifice, taking lives with his silver-tongued words…” Eyes squinting, Van Djik’s voice drops to a whisper, ”And I will find him. I will show them I did what I did to save us. I haven’t betrayed myself…” And yet his words ring hollow, for Van Djik knows that the palm-reader was right all along. He’d betrayed everything he held most precious, languishing in misery and infirmity.[/SECTION]

GM: So [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] you can tell that Van Djik's need to stave off his death is torn between two motives. He is haunted by things left undone; one seems to be atoning for his misdeeds with the slaves, while the other seems to be taking revenge on the bokor that summoned the djab.

Moreover, the charms festooning the drawing room predominantly seem to come from the Dagara peoples of French West Africa (including present-day Ghana, Burkina Faso, and Cote d'Ivoire). Many Dagaran color wheels of blue, white, red, and green framing a golden circle are incorporated into the charms, signifying water, mineral, fire, nature, and earth – the five types of people and constituents of human beings in that tradition. Unlike the traditional Dagaran color wheel, however, some of these contain a pinpoint of blackness at the center of the earth, as if some dark energy is being bound by the forces of life. Mambo Asizwe on New Providence Island hails from the Dagara tradition, so many of these could have been fashioned by her.

Shayuri

First Post
Nia remains silent as the dwarf relates his tale, frowning slightly here and there as she fits pieces of the puzzle together. She goes to one of the strange charms, like colored rings, set around the room and takes a closer look though makes no move to touch or disturb it.

With a nod, she goes back to where Kat and Zef are foolishly drinking their fill.

Her silver-clouded eyes meet Van Djik's, and there is a glimmer of recognition there. One who has ventured to the twilight shores and has returned knows another, even if the means by which they gained their passage was different.

"De spirit he called haunts the ship still," she says. "It may be bound to you, unable to leave while you linger."

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: OK [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw to avoid becoming intoxicated from all the jenever. Dwarven advantage applies.

If you become intoxicated, it lasts for a couple hours:
  • Have fun role-playing it!
  • You have disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls.
  • You must make a DC 10 Constitution concentration check to cast a spell successfully (the spell just fails, isn't wasted, or optionally is mis-cast).
  • Damage against you is reduced by 5.

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise felt his soul burn as he listened. Libète was listening as well. They both felt a kinship with the dwarf as he began his tale. He saw much of himself in the disease-ridden wreck in front of him. The loss of freedom. The debasement. It was a cancer within the soul that never healed. It was a source of rage that never diminished. Van Djik was just like him. Only Blaise had his freedom while the dwarf was apparently still shackled by this spirit in the boat. That could not stand.

Then, the story turned. Van Djik did not just betray those men. He betrayed himself. He forfeited his soul. The bokor was right. Blaise felt his patron burn hot for a moment. His lips drew back from clenched teeth as his hand shattered the small glass of jenever he was holding. A large shard of glass pierced his palm drawing blood that burned as it mingled with the alcohol that freshly coated his hand. Libète shifted suddenly. Blaise felt his soul grow cold as his mind became calculating.

Blaise noticed the eyes of the others looking at him and his display. His eyes looked down as he offered in a kind tone, “My apologies, sir. You have been a gracious host, but I was not prepared for your story. We are much alike, you and I. We have both felt shackles. We have both fought for our freedom and justice for those who harmed us. We have both faced horrible choices. I am afraid that I was overcome by the injustices of your tale. Fate dealt you a poor hand, friend, but that does not have to be the end of your story.”

He holds up his bleeding hand and grabs the one large piece of glass that remained stuck in the wound. “A witch once told you that your fate was written in the lines of your hand. I tell you that it is time to rewrite those lines.” He began to drag the glass along the palm of his hand creating an image of a shattered chain drawn in blood. “You are not a slave to this fate. We can help you get the fate you deserve. The one you earned.” Blaise palmed the bloody piece of glass with his good hand as he reached out and grabbed the dwarf with his bloody hand. “You have to trust us though. You have to believe.” As he says the words, he feels the cool rush of power pouring from Libète through his hand into the dwarf.

He locked eyes with the dwarf, “Help us destroy this djab and free you. Blackbeard won’t allow us to fight it until he hears the secret that you haven’t shared. Seize this moment. Show the world and that bokor that this is not how Piet Hein Van Djik dies. Tell us what we need to help you be truly free and live again.”

[sblock=Actions]Spend 5 HP of Lay on Hands on Van Djik to temporarily relieve his disease and hopefully convince him that Blaise can do what he says.[/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
[SBLOCK=Blaise]Your Lay on Hands has no effect on Van Djik![/SBLOCK]

[SECTION]"Believe..." mumurs Van Djik, listening entranced to Blaise's words. It seems for a moment like he might rise to his feet, clutch one of the dozens of old gilded sabers mounted on his wall and join you, but then he slumps back in his chair. "It is the yellow fever. Ack...ack...ack... It will not let me. I can barely make it to the kitchen without being ravaged by this cough. My hand can scarcely grasp a hilt. Secret?" he meets Blaise's intense gaze, confounded and on edge. The truth of Libète burns there, and it is a hard thing for Van Djik to be in the presence of, after the vile crime he's committed. "What more can I... Ah, Blackbeard is looking for L'Ollonais' treasure, that must be it. That's the secret you mean."

With a groan of effort, Van Djik reaches under his lapel and cotton shirt, fishing about for a necklace among several protective talismans, at last drawing out a blocky hardwood key attached to a leather cord. "I've kept this for a long time. Thought that maybe L'Ollonais treasure could save me, spare me from the djab's curse. What a fool I was." As the sick dwarf presses the blocky hardwood key into Blaise's bloody palm, he intones a raspy bit of poetry, something he has committed to memory for a long time. “Not her brow, nor bosom, but her lips. No ship has a kiss that compares with The Coral Curse.” His fingers linger over Blaise's for a moment, before he exhales with a look of exhaustion falling over his pale face.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Nia purses her lips, but nods. It will have to do.

"Come," she murmurs to Blaise. "His fate has played out already. Now it is our turn to find ours."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
GM: OK [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw to avoid becoming intoxicated from all the jenever. Dwarven advantage applies.

If you become intoxicated, it lasts for a couple hours:
  • Have fun role-playing it!
  • You have disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls.
  • You must make a DC 10 Constitution concentration check to cast a spell successfully (the spell just fails, isn't wasted, or optionally is mis-cast).
  • Damage against you is reduced by 5.
OOC: Katerina is the worst Pirate Captain ever. Sorry guys. "That's got to be the worst pirate I've ever seen." "But at least you've heard of me!" :lol:

Constitution Saving Throw: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Goodbye, tact.

Katerina quietly listened to the sickly dwarf tell his story. She took the offered drink, and took it again, as it seemed the drink helped the words pour from him and she did not want the story to end until they heard it all.

Whether it was the fact she'd had very little sleep or very little food over the past few days, this dwarven delicacy was already beginning to make her lightheaded. Normally she would finish her night like this, every night, to block out the pain and desperation of her situation. But after all this time, all the plans, everything was finally coming together and she had been able to keep that pain blocked out without the drink, with just the determination and focus of the goal.

Now that strength failed her.

She took another drink while Blaise tried to do something... heal him? Was he a priest? She tried to process that but it was difficult to work through the facts and listen to the story at the same time. Her eyes had trouble focusing for a moment as she unwrapped the red handkerchief that she kept wound on her forearm, revealing a large branded P there.

She handed the cloth to Blaise for his bloodied hand before speaking very directly to Van Dijk.

"That's quite a story Captain," she said a bit loudly, "But I wonder. Do you know where this treasure is? Why did you not try to retrieve it and try to use it?"

She rolled the empty glass between her hands, "Also, this... yellow fever... either you die or you get better so I am to understand. How is it you are still sitting here? Do you know?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads