D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Fenris

Adventurer
"You.... still.... need to cook.... bread" says Zef back in the same slow staccato. "And I want beer. Beer . No bread. Yes, solid beer. Bread. And coffee. Even that sludge you make will do." says Zef

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Spell & Crossbones

"Okay, okay, no knivesh, promesa ," the pirate laughed heartily with a large grin. "But you have to admit, I AM pretty good at it." She laughed at herself, smacking the table with her hand in the process. "Van Dijk, si, si, you are quite clever shenora!"

She laughed at Zef's antics too. "How ish it you are worse off than I, you old lump? You making no senshe!!"

Her laugher quickly died down and the smile slid off her face. "Hugo, really? The othersh... Kid goes where the wind blowsh, si. The other two, I did not have good feelingsh about them, so no lossh. But our old friend, shipmate, comrade, Hugo? That concernsh me." Kat's eyebrows knit together as she tried to puzzle it out.

Her eyes again glanced around the room, suddenly a little more suspicious. "The Spanish Navymen, I have no s'more for them. That ish how my father became a Pirate to begin with, their very poor treatments of their own men." She squeezed the proprietress' arm. "Do you know what those chargesh are, againsht them?"

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Sucking in her cheek at the drunken Old Zef's comments, Ulsta chirps at him, "Easy, you old goat. I'll bring some bread soon as it leaves the oven." Then whispering under her breath, louder than she thinks, "And castor oil and a lemon to treat your hangover!"

Ulsta deliberates for a moment, knowing the bond between Hugo and Katerina's deceased father. "I probably shouldn't say anything...but I think Hugo went to...well, there's no polite way to say it...to spy on Captain Wallace. From what I've heard Wallace took a liking to Meneer (Mister) Van Haan. Turned on the charm, he did. I think Hugo could be brought before the King of Spain on charges of treason and end the day playing chess and eating Spanish cheese with His Majesty."

Though Ulsta is hesitant, she leans in, her face illuminated by the oil lamp flickering on your table, "Well, the official reason is for seditious acts while surrendered, but I happen to know it's cause of Blackbeard. Now, he doesn't strike me as the most hateful of men, but I saw him exchanging heated words with the Spaniards when they were brought into Nassau; I don't speak much Spanish, but it seemed...personal...I don't know." Tapping her nose, she reminds Katerina, "But you didn't hear it from me, got it?"[/SECTION]

peterka99

First Post
The big voyageur sees the odd drunk couple enter the tavern. He tracks them to the table, and overhear a little their conversation with the dwarf girl.

Well, seems like the Dwarf and the Spaniard will get food and he cannot join them…

Etienne looks at his purse, finding it desperately flat. He hopes to be able to trade his wares for solid silver, electrum and gold soon or he will have to forage in the wilderness, with all bad encounters that can dwell there.

"Well", muttering to himself " Captain' said I must prove myself worthy to be quartermaster; I'll prove her I can recruit better recruits that this damn Wallace guy!"

He looks around, judging among the patrons which one can match Katarina’s expectations the most.

“The Caribbean people is a real culture mixing. I can see Whites and Maroons, fortune soldiers from countries that are on War back in Europe. “

The town recovered well from being sacked back in 1703. He saw ruins in the outskirts…. Then he got a flashback from his own past- the sack of Dover in New Hampshire in 1689. The first white man he killed. Not the last. He shivers remembering the terrible nightmares he experiences since he got that dreamcatcher. Guilt, for sure. His hands are so bloody...

“Maybe It stores illnesses, but also despair. It is a cursed item. Hope I can get rid of it! Otherwise I’ll have to forget about anything exciting for my own soul’s sake!”

He then comes back to Blaise and Nia's conversation.

OOC: Assuming we stay behind... Maybe Etienne may spot one of two new recruits like a certain North African cook ...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Kat nodded solemnly at her friend Ulsta, she'd not betray her. She hang first. There was a story behind the Blackbeard and the Spanish, yet he'd dealt with her with no issues. Perhaps she would ask him about it... Hugo was another matter. Katerina hoped he had not gotten himself over his head, after all, she knew Wallace was a blackguard.

"Gracias my friend, graciash. You are, ash alwaysh a lifeline for us." She pressed a few coins into the proprietor's hand then kissed her cheek. "Keep the drinksh coming senora!!"

Before Ulsta could walk away she stopped her, locking her teal eyes upon the dwarf. "Have you sheen my other amigo this evening, by chance?" Ulsta knew Kat was referring to the prefered pirate she spent many a night with drinking, carousing, arguing, fighting... then making up with.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Spotting Etienne wandering around the tavern, Kat called to him. "Hey you! Come and have drinks with us! You had a busy day and could ushe some refreshment."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Even as you follow Ulsta's head nod toward a raucous table, Fulke 'Mad Eyes' Smyth is already rising and headed over your way, bottle in hand. "Ye black-haired hamstringer," he snarls for a moment, hand on his pistol grip, looking like he might attack Katerina, before grinning wildly and clapping her on the shoulder. "What's this? You lot got started before sunset without old Smyth? Zef! Oooo... you look drunker than a palm rat in an Irish whiskey cheese cellar."

Gesturing behind his back to a band of squint-eyed pirates, he sways drunkenly against Katerina, stabilizing himself on Blaise's shoulder, "Now, if you want in on a little wager, I wouldn't mind including for the price of...say...two pints. That lot over there thinks I can't get the Singing Pirates to shut up. Says they were cursed by a siren. But if there's one thing I know..." he holds up a finger, steadying himself and momentarily going cross-eyed looking at his finger before shaking his head, "...if there's one thing it's that I know how to leave a man speechless. A-and a woman too." He chuckles in a randy voice, setting his bottle onto your table with a loud 'clunk.' "Blackbeard said to me, bless his departed soul...he says to me: Smyth, you're sh-- for lookout and sh-- on the guns, but you've a gift for words, so perhaps you can talk them out of their money." His affected authoritative voice fades away and he takes a long swig of the bottle.[/SECTION]

Fenris

Adventurer
"Aye, but ne'er a dwarf Smythie. And I ain't a fer of. No. I ain't drunk. I am drinking! Tenses or looses or something. Whatcha doin' here here Smyuthie. You never sailed with Blackbeard. You scallywag." says Zef staggering up to Smyth.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]"S'truth," agrees Smythe readily, nodding his head and leaning his bottle in Old Zef's direction. "I didn't sail with Blackbeard, but I did row with 'im. Aye, we rowed. Night black with pitch were the dinghies. There was a man who knew how to stage an ambush..." Rubbing the right side of his head along a faint scar that cost him a swath of hair, Smythe grins again, "So, what do ye say? Take this wager with me that we can make the Singing Pirates stop singing? Or would you rather we play a hand of Marias? Ave Maria..." He references the trick-taking card game originating in Hungary yet having gained popularity among pirates across the globe. Fortunately, Smythe's horrible singing voice is drowned out by him humming as he quaffs from his bottle.[/SECTION]

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise took the hand that Smyth had placed on his shoulder to steady himself and gently maneuvered the drunk sailor into the seat beside the captain while Blaise stood from it. "You'll need to gather your strength if you intend to silence those fellows. Take a seat. Catch up." Blaise patted him on the back and took a step away. A drink or two to warm up or raise spirits was a fine thing, but the folks at this table were well on their way to losing whatever sense of self-control they had. That was a luxury that Blaise could not afford. If he wasn't in control of himself, something else very well could be.

Blaise took a few steps towards Nia, "I never thanked you for saving my life earlier today. There aren't many people who would dive after a water spirit that had dragged their mate down let alone risk their life for someone they just met. I hope that your life is never in such need that I may repay the favor, but, if so, I hope that I show your same courage."

Remove ads