D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[sblock=ooc]Int check for outfitting a check yields no further information: 1d20-1=9.[/sblock]

Barrington accepts the offer to go with Katerina to negotiate. "This sounds like a reasonable venture. I see some of you have served together before, and I believe that I could help in that, beginning with these negotiations. I suggest we accept this offer, and take his money. I believe I could be put to good use as one of the ship's officers. I have some experience in these waters." His crisp accent comes from clean white teeth in a broad smile. The Captain's force of personality seems unstoppable, but he knows he can help.

He turns to the group: "In my estimation, eight shares is greedy but reasonable given that without his funds we do not have a ship. I am concerned about the presence of his accountant, but believe that as long as he was not given any great responsibilities, his presence will not interfere with the running of a ship. I would require any salary he was paid to come out of the du Tourbillon's eight shares, and the officers would need to decide whether the agent should be permitted arms. I would vote against it, but it means he then becomes our responsibility."

"Before we speak with him we should consult with each other about the nature of the finances."


[sblock=shares discussion]My understanding is that on non-navy ships, every crewman was entitled to a share and certain officers could shave up to two. It was a much more equitable distribution of wealth than has existed at almost any other time. I'm not sure that this is accounted for in du Tourbillon's offer, which may be eight shares as measured against those that we (the party) draw. If we imagine a crew of 40 (?) plus 8 shares here plus 9 shares between the six of us (1.5 each?) that's 57 shares in the venture, of which du Tourbillon gets 8.

I don't think that's what is meant, though. Perhaps 30% of all cash from the ship (assuming it's found) goes to him. What happens to the 5000? If we own anything in the ship, it would be his; we could have the option to buy it out, but perhaps it would at tat point be possible to buy (or capture!) our own, and that would not be necessary. The remainder would be decided between shares for the crew and us. I suggest 1.5 shares each for items of cash value, recognizing that we could also skim special items off the top for ourselves. All booty would be divided among the shares, and would not go to du Tourbillon (his agent would perhaps be eligible for a share or 1.5 with this scheme).

Obviously this needs negotiation with the dm -- I don't know what assumptions du Tourbillon is working with. And I'm trying to balance what I low of pirate finances with typical D&D PC greediness. [/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Gentleman Jim - Intelligence (arming ship & crew estimating): Mostly Gunner Teague has this covered. However, Jim has heard of several English sailors fresh off their meager commissions who were negotiating with Captain Read Wallace for a place on his crew of privateers. They might be swayed if you get to them first or present a better offer.


[SBLOCK=shares discussion]Yeah, I literally meant 8 shares as you described. So, equal treasure to what 8 able seamen would get (assuming each got 1 share). Which is greedy but not entirely unreasonable considering the financial risk and unusual costs associated with finding/extracting sunken treasure. So with a crew of 40 (for example), giving each of yourselves 1.5 shares, and du Tourbillon 8, there would be 57 shares; if under such an arrangement you found, for example, 500,000 gp (a huge score from a Spanish treasure galeone), splitting treasure would go like this...

One share would equal 8,771 gp 9 sp, enough to retire in the lap of luxury to enjoy 12 years of comfortable living, or 24 years of modest living.

Each officer PC would get 13,157 gp 9 sp (total party treasure would be about 78,947 gp), about enough to each buy your own ship, villa, trading company, or maybe bribe a King's Pardon / Letter of Marque. Or enough to enjoy 18 years of comfortable living and plentiful booze, or 36 years of modest living.

du Tourbillon would get 70,175 gp, enough to do a great many things with! Or live out his next 48 years in wealth and opulence.

Negotiating his accountant Badouin's share (if any) and the distribution of "special treasures" are definitely worth bringing up. Also worth discussing are the ship's "slush funds" which typically cover repairs/supply/rum/shot and powder expenses & disability insurance for crew members. Believe it or not, pirates had one of the first formal disability insurance programs![/SBLOCK]
 
Last edited:

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hugo Van Haan

"Most negotiations begin with a clear advantage to the silent party, which we are to this point. He's undercutting, giving a price he can get away with for a charter and a crew of slaves or prison escapees," said Hugo, wiping the inside of the clay cup with a handkerchief and replacing it to the spot he took it from, all with an eye over his shoulder.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington humphs agreement. "On the other hand, given that he is the only investor, his request for payment in shares (and not only shares on top of his capital) seems very reasonable. Perhaps we could convince him to invest more for more shares. Really, I feel the request is comparatively moderate. If we can get more cash by doubling his shares, I would support that."
 

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hugo Van Haan

"It would seem you have the floor, Missen du Corazon," said Hugo with a shrug and a smile toward the woman he presumed would fashion herself his new Captain. "Careful not to make servants out of us."
 

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Senor," she nods towards Barrington, "I do not believe getting ship's passage should earn this French fluff any more treasure. As you mentioned, some of us have served together before and we all have our ways, including possible to likely passage on a ship if need be. So I am thinking he needs to round down, and be put in his place. It's not easy to get an able crew together and there is a reason he came to each of us. I am certain he started his bidding high assuming we would start low."

Katerina takes another long drag of rum. "That is just my opinion and I do not pretend to know all. I am of course willing to listen to your or anyone else's theory why it should not be so."
 

fireinthedust

Explorer
Doctor Varlock's silence was measured, and he didn't move during the discussion... until now.

Let us not count our coins before they are minted. Half-shares breed mistrust and obfuscate the costs of a venture. Best say fifteen shares than share-and-a-half. Crew get one share a piece, officers three, our benefactor may have his third, after costs, provisions, and the like. Else he'd best prepare to fund our voyage through several ventures, to make up the cost of the ship and crew; unless he thinks the men will buy their own gruel, salted pork, and rum, or pay for each bullet out of their own pocket.

The doctor speaks without looking up, but his voice has the sound of authority, confidence, and the arrogance of one with knowledge of medical science. He swirls his drink in his glass, takes a sip, and grimaces at the poor taste, and spits. He still does not look up.

And one more thing. The tale of the missing ship speaks of sea folk and curses. Not a one of you 'ppear to mine eyes to be bokors or beloved of the loa. For this venture to succeed, you'll need to bring me along on this journey, else the entire ship risks being dragged below the waves by creatures of the deep. To keep my interest, I insist... upon a Captain's share.

He leaves this last to hang in the air, but sits calmly, waiting for the rest to react.
 

Fenris

Adventurer
And one more thing. The tale of the missing ship speaks of sea folk and curses. Not a one of you 'ppear to mine eyes to be bokors or beloved of the loa. For this venture to succeed, you'll need to bring me along on this journey, else the entire ship risks being dragged below the waves by creatures of the deep. To keep my interest, I insist... upon a Captain's share.

He leaves this last to hang in the air, but sits calmly, waiting for the rest to react.

Old Zef barks out a short, harsh laugh. "Swabby, I will give you marks for confidence, but you are speaking out the wrong end out your head. Ain't nobody getting more than their fair share. And until you prove otherwise you get a share based on your position on the ship. That is the Code of the Sea. As fer your Loa and Bokor, I seen 'em, I dealt wit' 'em. Ain't nobody here a'scarid of them things. So shut yer mouth and do your work and take your fair share, or take a hike off a short pier. We don't need no selfish bilge rat on this voyage."
 

fireinthedust

Explorer
Doctor Varlock chooses this moment to look up at the Old Salt, with a pair of strange, demonic eyes where human eyes should be: black orbs with bright blue rings, staring into the sailor with a look that says this man has seen the depths of hell itself. His mouth cracks into a damned grin, half-mad, as if Old Zef's laughter amuses him.

Perhaps you're right. Surviving the loa is one thing, and no small feat; but the cost of understanding them another. I have business with this venture, or I'd leave it to you for less than my usual fee. I'll take an equal share, for now. I'll let the Fates change your mind when the time comes.

He looks to the Captain. I am called Doctor Varlock by those with whom I sail. I recommend we find the ship and leave immediately. The... others in this tavern have heard too much as it is, and talk of gold as openly as we have done is dangerous talk. The sooner we get a head start, the greater the chance we'll outrun competition, and live to find this woman and her gold.
 

Unsung

First Post
The lamps suddenly guttered on their hooks, as if a breeze swept the room. A window slammed shut, alarming a tavern wench who had the arm of one of the Courlandians. [Cantrips cast: Thaumaturgy]

The gunner sloshed the contents of his tankard down his gullet, and got to his feet, his stubbled chin flecked with grog. "Speak not to me of who be beloved of your flitting hoo-doo spirits, Doctor Varlock!" The old man had not raised his voice, yet it filled the room like the dull roar of the crashing surf. "An accursed wretch be ye in mine eye, houngan, Mer-man, gone a-courting mere handmaids to the Great Mother Ocean, Queen Calypso! If the voyage do prosper or founder, it will be Her will, and no man's presence shall deter Her, not even Old Jones himself!"

The thunder of some distant storm rattled the wharves, and when Teague spoke again, his voice was soft and hoarse. "Make ye a wager with this tired old salt, Varlock. If yer presence be worthy of the boon you see fit to ask, I'll wager ye half of my share against the same of yours. If ye turn aside but one leviathan of the deeps, the bet's yours. But should some swimming beastie make a meal of the crew, then your half's to me. What say ye?"
 
Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
The tall woman stands, and tries not to snicker as the dwarf puts the doctor in his place. “We can talk our shares later. I venture a guess that a lot of us would do without treasure and gain but still work this trip for their own reasons. There is no need to be greedy here, if we work together we will all benefit and be successful.”

Katerina stands and nods her head, which causes her monkey to finish her peanut search and climb back into place on her shoulder. “But you are correct about one thing, we should stop sitting around yapping. I’ll go out now and see what I can do. Barrington?” she nods at young man who offered to accompany her.

She deliberately leaves her jacket behind on the back of the chair and she waits for Barrington to stand and join her. “Wish us luck, gentlemen,” she says to the remaining rabble. She takes a deep breath in, the only moment they’ve seen any bit of her poise falter, but when she exhales she is standing tall and confident. She adjusts her bosom just right and a bright smile appears on her face.

She strolls through the crowded tavern and outside to the verandah where she finds du Tourbillon smoking with his guards. “Señors,” she purrs before plucking du Tourbillon’s cigar from his hand. She stares him down while taking a long puff from it, then she offers it back to him, her red lipstick leaving a rosy ring. She purses her lips and blows out the smoke, just short of reaching the Frenchman’s face.

She smiles amusingly. “Ready to finish discussing terms Señor du Tourbillon? I believe we can come to an accord.”
 
Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
ooc: Um, *pirate*! Also, Varlock is being mysterious and aloof, and hopefully leaving room for foreshadowing of dark things yet to come... But clearly no one believes him now, despite freaky eyes. (Which is totally cool, because plots thicken slowly over time :D Anyway, I speak Aquan and Telepathy, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point. :D )
 

Unsung

First Post
[OOC: I got that vibe from the good doctor, yeah. ;) I kind of got the feeling you were trying to stir the pot, right? Which is totally cool on a ship of, y'know, pirates. Also: not sure if anyone saw my edited post, last one on the previous page-- juuust finished it.]
 

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[OOC: I got that vibe from the good doctor, yeah. ;) I kind of got the feeling you were trying to stir the pot, right? Which is totally cool on a ship of, y'know, pirates. Also: not sure if anyone saw my edited post, last one on the previous page-- juuust finished it.]

OOC: We don't have any pot stirrers, do we? Lol But no, somehow I did miss your post Unsung so thank you for bringing it up. Great post! Everyone is doing an impressive job with posting in character. Well, just my humble opinion of course. ;)
 
Last edited:


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington stands and accompanies the woman who presumes to be captain. He nods at her request, but says nothing. He takes a measure of those that have been summoned on this venture, judging the doctor's self-important bravado at the responses he received. They will clearly need a clear contract, side bets be damned.

Barrington stands, but suddenly seems distracted by a barmaid in the corner, at whom he waves with a wink. But then it's back to business. He picks up his hat, and follows Katerina to the negotiations. He's ready to interject if he feels he needs to, but he's had his stay. He's there to ensure a clear deal is struck.
 

Quickleaf

Legend
At the sudden swaying of the lanterns and crack of the shutters, several men and women release shocked sounds. None of them are strangers to storms, but with clear evening skies, the eerie booming storm is clearly unnatural. Gunner Teague recognizes is as a storm sent as an omen by Calypso...but what omen?

One of the Latvian mercenaries grumbles loudly, yelling back at the storm, to which the bar wench with her hand on his shoulder laughs heartily. "And here I thought the great Gvido Berzins was afraid of nothing, dearie?"

Laughing, the Latvian mercenary sparks a chorus of harsh laughter from his men, "Courlandians fear neither man, nor monster, nor storm. One Courlandian is worth twice any man on this gods-forsaken island! Only thing we fear is a pair of saggy breasts. Isn't that right zēni?" At this the rest of the Latvians raise their cups and give the hurrah. Shaking her head, the bar wench walks to pour some more drinks, catching the eye of Barrington as he walks across the tavern, giving him a demure smile before whispering with one of her fellow wenches.

*      *      *​

Outside the evening air is crisp and the clear sky is steadily darkening with a looming storm out at sea. The storm is still several hours offshore by the looks of it. du Tourbillon sits on a stool beside a small wooden table with two free stools. His bodyguards sit on the railing chatting in some eastern language - Hindi perhaps? - with a swarthy scrawny man. du Tourbillon is caught off guard by Katarina's boldness as she takes the cigar from his lips to take a long drag on it, blowing smoke over his face before returning it to the Frenchman with added lipstick. Arching his brow, Claude du Tourbillon glances at Barrington then back to Katarina as he takes the cigar. "But of course, Mademoiselle." He gestures to take a seat if they are so inclined. The only other person on the veranda is an ancient sailor with knobby elbows smoking in a rickety rocking chair muttering quietly to himself as if half asleep as he gazes out across the port of Nassau.

"Your manner tells me you have a counteroffer in mind? As I said. Eight shares and hastened news of my son Wynn should you learn what has befallen him. In exchange, five thousand louis d'or once you have secured a ship, more once we have found Lè Gloriosa to fund the diving expedition, and further financing pending...negotiation." He says with a sly smile, gesturing with cigar to what they are doing right now. As he fishes out two cigars for his new associates from his breast coat pocket, he beckons the man of Mughal appearance. "This is Badouin, my purser and a most agreeable fellow if ever there was one. Perhaps I should send him inside to get acquainted with the rest of your officers so they may gauge the man's worth? While we come to terms?"

Bowing from below the veranda deck, Baoduin gives a broad smile. He is a swarthy man with bright eyes dressed as a sailor with touches of Mughal influence in his garment and a dark crimson scarf wrapped about his neck. He speaks in a thick Tamil accent. "A pleasure, nanpari. Bharanishri Wappara - Badouin for the less linguistically inclined. Six years as a student of the wise Indian Sidhis, eight years in the Great Mughal's Navy, and four years now as pursur for Messieur du Tourbillon, at your service."

OOC: Gunner Teague - thaumaturgy: 1d100=1 As a cleric of the Sea Goddess, when Teague emulates a storm with thaumaturgy there is a risk of a real storm happening! ;) I'll say it's a 10% cumulative chance. Aaand...rolled a 1...there really *is* a storm brewing out at sea!
 
Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Greetings Señor Badouin. A pleasure I am sure. Yes, why don't you go inside and find our associates. They are a friendly bunch," she tries not to laugh at that, "And will determine your seaworthiness."

She turns back to du Tourbillon with a half grin and chuckles. "If your man can survive that bunch without starting a fight, he will surely do well on our ship."

She takes the stool closer to the Frenchman. She hikes up her skirt and crosses her legs then half leans on the table, closer to the man. Her monkey hops off her shoulder, lands on the table and scampers over to the man's outstretched hand. The monkey grabs a cigar then darts back to Katerina. “Thank you, Senorita Bella,” she says taking the cigar with one hand and scratching the monkey’s head with the other. “She is so useful; you really ought to get yourself one,” she coos at the monkey before it hops back up on her shoulder and snuggles.

“So first, tell me Tourbillon, how do you see your man getting paid? If he passes muster that is?” Kat puts the cigar up to her nose and sniffs deeply but keeps her eyes on du Tourbillon.
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Badouin bows again to Katarina and Barrington, and makes sure his boots are clean before coming onto the veranda deck and entering the tavern. His eyes pick out the men readily enough - doctor, scarred sailor, and two dwarves as different as night and day. Old Zef catches the swarthy bright-eyed man who has entered the tavern circle for a moment, appraising the old dwarf and the others at his table, before making his approach.

"Gentlemen. Heren. I am Badouin, Messiuer du Tourbillon's man, at your service." He bows in a manner revealing former military service, though his demeanor is rather cheerful and wholly non-military. The man speaks in a thick Tamil accent, "I understand you are to determine whether I pass muster for this expedition. I have ten languages at my command, am well read in texts on natural sciences and philosophy, served as a gunner for the Great Mughal Navy eight years, and naturally I am experienced in maintaining ship's accounts. May I?" He gestures to an empty chair.

*         *         *​

du Tourbillon chuckles at Katarina's half-jest. He cannot help but study the little monkey in fascination taking the cigar from him as he hands the other to Barrington, offering his own cigar so they might light theirs from it. "Most impressive. It seems these other men regard you as captain, Madame du Corazon. I hope you train men as well as you do monkeys." He notices Katarina's seductive pose, but his eyes only linger for a fleeting moment. He is a tough man to decipher, this Claude du Tourbillon, and appears not so easily swayed by the fairer sex as other men, thou certainly he has never met one like Katarina del Corazon.

"Badouin? An equal share to any other able sea hand, I should think. It is the tradition of the sea, no?" He leans back, taking a long drag on his cigar while crossing his legs and blowing the smoke over his shoulder. du Tourbillon is no fool however, taking the implied meaning perfectly well. "You think his pay should come from my own shares, n'est-ce pas? I could be persuaded if you were to give me first pick of any books or ledgers you find in the wreck..."

OOC: Heren is Dutch for "gentlemen."

n'est-ce pas is French for "isn't that so?"

Barrington or Katarina can attempt Wisdom (insight) to get a read on du Tourbillon's negotiating strategy.
 

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: Both Persuasion and Intimidation are being used overall in the negotiations.
Persuasion (1d20+8=19)

Intimidation (1d20+6=17)

This is to try to figure du Tourbillon's negotiating strategy:
Wisdom (Insight) (1d20-1=14)


She takes her time lighting and enjoying a deep puff of cigar. “Very nice…”

“First pick of books… what need have you of wet papers that have been lying on the bottom of the briny deep? No no… that is not my business. Usually those of us that ride the waves don’t have much need for ruined books.”

She looks at the cigar in her long fingers, watching the smoke curl off the glowing end. “I can’t exactly figure you out Señor. Surely you are a man of means, and seem like an intelligent fellow.”

Her look changes slightly, though she is still smiling her bright green eyes seem slightly more menacing. “It’s your wisdom that is perhaps in question…Obviously you have a huge set of cajoñes to come here, gather this group of rugged sailors, rogues and killers to do your dirty work, and insist on what amounts to an unheard of 10 shares of treasure PLUS knowledge PLUS you want us to guarantee the safety of your man while you sit safe and pampered at home. Surely you would imagine that you would say 8 and we would say 3, then you would offer 7 and we would counter with 4, before you came back with 6 and we would eventually settle on 6. Six shares for you, a fair share for your man to be determined on par with the officers, his safety, as much as safety as can be given for those at sea and you get first pick of whatever non magical books we find. Plus, you shall have the information you greatly desire.

You see, I did not declare myself captain, but most of these men know who my father was and some even served under him. I assume you also know who my father was and that is why you called me here. Therefore you know I have grown up on the sea and know my way around and my reputation precedes me. You would also know that I ALWAYS get what I want. I may have to work hard for it but eventually it always comes my way. None of the men I work with are afraid of hard work. You chose us because of you knew we would get this job done.”
She pauses and takes another drag on the cigar. “Training men IS a lot like training monkeys,” she laughs while rubbing the monkey's belly, “Though you reward the monkeys with bananas and the men with rum.”

“Five thousand louis d'or might sound like a lot of dinero however, when you are trying to care for the men you need to run the vessel, feed those 50 men and keep them well or care for their illnesses, stock the boat with all the equipment we need… well, you see it can get used up quickly if you do not have someone who knows what they are doing. We will endeavor to find the wreck in a month’s time – if we are frugal with our funds we should be able to support our crew and ship that long.

You probably also know that you are not alone in wanting to hire us on for work. So we must come to the proper accord quickly before someone else tempts us with more money and better terms.”


She grins broadly, “What say you Señor du Tourbillon?”
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top