D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
Blaise waved his hand at Etienne, "No, my friend, if we are to put our lives on the line, then it doesn't seem right that we would not get to hear the news." He turned his attention back towards the captivating woman, "Whatever information you require, Sophie, we can work to obtain it for you. We do not need to complicate matters with a nun and the officer idea could be useful for a backup. A holy woman would not go into a prison to administer last rites. After all, only a priest can perform the sacraments. The jail should be expecting a priest to make the rounds tonight for final confession and last rites. There won't be any reason to suspect us."

"Sophie, if all you require is this information, Etienne and I can go and get it for you.
We have our own questions to ask after all. However, surely you would agree that adding your concerns to ours complicates our task and adds risk to our endeavor. It seems only right that if we are to take on that risk for you that there should be some compensation for our efforts on your behalf. If you desire more than just the information and want to see these men free, then the risk only grows and the need for compensation with it. Of course, we also understand that you may not wish us to share the information you seek. Luckily, my friend and I are able to easily forget things with the proper arrangements."

"Sorry for the bad idea. For the jail traditions, I really have no clue. Last time a parson tried to lure me to his church, I preferred to flee to the nearest Huron village..."

OOC: Consider the rest is posted after Mrs Tremere response, whether she share some secrets or not.

Etienne rather prefer echange of service to mere money. He's not a typical Mercanti. He then remembers the post at the Seahorse....

"Do you know a sailor called Arnaud ? Maybe we can speak to the Spaniards on your behalf if you help us recruit him to join our crew ?"

OOC: I know we have the best cook ever as Jacques... but Etienne doesn't yet.

[section]
"Arnaud...Arnaud...is he a buccaneer perhaps? I admit to having little dealing with men of that sort."

Arching her brow as she watches Blaise and Etienne double check the frocks are their sizes, Sophie seems tempted by the offer to let them assume all the risk. Or perhaps she is bemused by the two strapping men figuring out how to open a priest's collar and whether to lower the frock on from above or try to step into it. "You're right, two brothers in the faith would arouse far less suspicion. And though we share France as our lieu de naissance (nativity place), what would my superiors think of entrusting state secrets to two...entrepreneurs? No, I shall have to accompany you and speak to these men myself...unless..."

For a moment she seems about to dismiss the idea, but then a savvy smile falls over her features. "Unless you were to get the information I seek in writing? I could draft a letter, seal it in wax, for the most senior of these navy men. I believe his name is Nicolás de Atrejo," she says, pronouncing the Spanish flawlessly. "You could deliver it to him, along with the implements that he might draft and seal a reply of his own. Surely that would indemnify you from being exposed to state secrets. And would, say, 75 louis d'or (gp) help to strengthen your resolve?" She inquires politely, pursing her lips flirtatiously at Blaise.[/section]

Quickleaf

Legend
Meanwhile, back at Blackreef's Tavern...

[video=youtube;N9xqZLvlIEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9xqZLvlIEo[/video]

There is faint accordion and horn music outside, growing louder so it's just audible above the din of drunken pirates. It seems that old Fulke "Mad Eyes" Smyth has at last gotten up the courage to confront the singing pirates down by the docks which the tavern overlooked. "Hehehe, look it's Smyth! Gonna' try to shut them singing pirates up!" cackles a one-legged rapscallion with sunburnt Irish complexion. "He better not get 'imself killed," growls another over his mug, "he owes me 10 shillings...or any reasonable tender with a privileged European in the center."

Outside you can hear voices muffled by the evening surf, some kind of an exchange between Smyth and the Singing Pirates...

"A pirate i was meant to be! Trim the sails and roam the sea!"

"...see here, I'm willing to be reasonable...I've a wager riding on this, and if we can come to terms, I'm willing to go in half way with you lot, but you'll need to quit...the...singing..."

"We're a band of vicious pirates
A-sailin' out to sea!
When you hear our gentle singing...
You'll be sure to turn and flee!"

"Well, maybe you wouldn't be destitute if you tried more sailing and less singing?"

"When we defeat our wicked foe, his ship he will be bailing!
If ye try ta fight us...
...you will get a nasty whackin'!
If ya disrespect our singin'...
...we will feed ya to a kraken!"

"This is ridiculous, lads. For the love of Saint Maria... Stop! Stop! Stop!"

"The brass is what we'll polish and the deck is what we'll mop."

"Oh...uh...if it's got to be that way. Well then...
You say you're nasty pirates...
...scheming, thieving, bad bushwhackers?
From what I've seen I tell you...
...you're not pirates!
You're just slackers!"

"Aargh! Look, this is my last offer. Think of all that coin."

"With our song the hearts of maidens we'll purloin.
We're a club of tuneful rovers
We can sing in every clef!
We can even hit the high notes!
It's just too bad we're tone deaf!"

"...I...this is hopeless..."

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise inclines his head with a smile, "It is remarkably kind of you to consider our well being after this evening's activities, and I agree that your offer of compensation for our risk is respectable. However, we have business in the seas ourselves and no love lost for the Spanish. If there is news to be had of their navy, I would rather know now and be prepared rather than find out on the wrong side of a broadside. I am sure our homeland would prefer me alive and able to serve her needs again at some later date.”

“I can appreciate your need to keep this information confidential. That is why I am willing to give you a solemn vow that I will only use this information to protect myself and the crew that I serve with and that I will not reveal it to another party. Of course, such a vow would create an enormous burden for myself, but for the good of my country, I would be willing to bear that weight for an additional 25 louis d’or.”

Shayuri

First Post
"And exactly what kind of problème are you looking to get into, Senor? Because we have quite a lot of troublemakersh around this place." A mischievous smile broke out on the pirate's face.

Kat poured herself another rum and had a long drink, before waving to Ulsta to bring more ale for her new friend.

"Nia?" She raised her eyebrows, asking if she'd want to join in the merriment.

The sea witch shook her head.

"None for me. I cannot drag you back to you room if I can't walk eidder."

She glanced at Zef and shrugged. "He's a dwarf. He'll be fine."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
The sea witch shook her head.

"None for me. I cannot drag you back to you room if I can't walk eidder."

She glanced at Zef and shrugged. "He's a dwarf. He'll be fine."

"There ish no need to drag me anywhere my amigo! I am quite capable of handling a night on the town on my own."

She pointed towards the door. "That one, however, hash isssuesh. Why would he ever take that bet?" Katerina laughed heartily at that while shaking her head. "I should go give him shome aid, but instead I'd rather look for more crew. Does anyone look promishing?"

She nodded to Jacques. "Aside from this one who has already joined us to cook us delectable mealsh aboard our new ship?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Blaise inclines his head with a smile, "It is remarkably kind of you to consider our well being after this evening's activities, and I agree that your offer of compensation for our risk is respectable. However, we have business in the seas ourselves and no love lost for the Spanish. If there is news to be had of their navy, I would rather know now and be prepared rather than find out on the wrong side of a broadside. I am sure our homeland would prefer me alive and able to serve her needs again at some later date.”

“I can appreciate your need to keep this information confidential. That is why I am willing to give you a solemn vow that I will only use this information to protect myself and the crew that I serve with and that I will not reveal it to another party. Of course, such a vow would create an enormous burden for myself, but for the good of my country, I would be willing to bear that weight for an additional 25 louis d’or.”

[section]Sophie Trémière smirks at Blaise's brazenness, her voice hitting sultry tones, "An irony that your solemn vows should fall outside the dioceses, father. I believe I can meet your price." Counting out 25 tarnished louis d'or, she presses the gold coins into Blaise's hand. "For the good of your country," she quips with a poignant look from behind dark lashes.

Taking a quick moment to compose the letter to the senior-most Spanish navy man, Sophie at lasts seals it with a bit of red wax, watching Blaise as she melts the wax, and finishes it with a fleur de lis signet ring stamped into the wax. "And here is the letter for one Nicolás de Atrejo. For his eyes only." She passes the letter to Blaise and Etienne. "Well, then it seems there's nothing left but for me to wish you bonne chance, messieurs (good luck, gentlemen). At the very least, you'll have God on your side."[/section]

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise pockets the coins with a smile. "I will seek to bring honor to our homeland this evening. I hope that I will have the opportunity to share your company again sometime. Perhaps, when our time together does not have to be so rushed. However, I am afraid that my friend and I must be off."

Blaise leaves with a bow and nods towards Etienne to follow him. When they have traveled a fair distance away from Sophie, Blaise whispers to Etienne, "Okay, let's put our cards on the table so we know what we can rely on. I'm not the smoothest talker, but I can do my best. However if it comes to a fight, I'm good in a scrap. I don't speak of it much and I am placing my trust in you not to share it with anyone else, but I do have a few scraps of magic. However, I don't have anything that will help with a lie. What about you? I know you can hold your own in a fight. Honestly, the way you threw yourself at those worms with your axe back in the caves earlier was one of the most reckless acts of bravery that I've ever seen, but I've never met someone in the Caribbean that was only what they seemed at first glance. Are you a talker? Do you have any secret magic? Any tricks that can help us pull this off smoothly?"

peterka99

First Post
Etienne replies:

" I'm quite good as a merchant, well, to praise my goods quality and forget about their faults. I can also pray brother eagle to bestow his splendor to me, in order to get more charismatic.

As per the priest prayers and maneers, i'll just follow your steps and imitate you."

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases