Spell-like abilities and Arcane Strike.

Tzarevitch

First Post
Does anyone know if a creature can use a spell-like ability to power the Arcane Strike feat from the Complete Warrior? If seems to me that it can but that also seems mighty overpowered if that is the case. Outsiders with spell like abilities can give themselves auto hit and damage bonuses by expending spell-like abilities that would be near useless for anything else.

Tzarevitch

I don't have CW, so I don't have access to the exact text of the feat, but my initial guess is no.

My reasoning is that, in the FRCS, there's a feat called Innate Spell. It requires Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Quicken Spell, and allows you to give up a spell slot in order to turn a lower-level spell into a spell-like ability, usable once per round.

The texxt of the feat specifically mentions that the spell-like ability is not a spell, and therefore cannot be used by a cleric to spontaneously heal, etc.

If Arcane Strike requires you to "cast a spell" in any way, shape, or form, I'd imagine it would follow the same rules - a spell-like ability is not an actual spell, therefore it cannot be used with Arcane Strike.

Scharlata

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
Does anyone know if a creature can use a spell-like ability to power the Arcane Strike feat from the Complete Warrior? If seems to me that it can but that also seems mighty overpowered if that is the case. Outsiders with spell like abilities can give themselves auto hit and damage bonuses by expending spell-like abilities that would be near useless for anything else.

Tzarevitch

Hi!

Cool idea, but if you have a looksee into Part 2 of Rules of the Game: All about Spell-like abilities, you'll stumble upon the Header: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SPELLS AND SPELL-LIKE ABILITIES. That alone suggests that you couldn't substitute spell-like abilities for spells or vice versa.

On the other hand, create a MONSTROUS feat called Spell-like Strike and change the prerq's.

Enjoy!

noeuphoria

First Post
There is no feat, and creating one would be a bad idea. Reason: several creatures have spell-like abilities usable at will - Like the balor's blasphemy. A balor with that feat would just burn from his infinite supply to add +8. Or even an illithid, burning up those Plane Shifts to melee it up.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Tzarevitch said:

I've added my emphasis to your post. I think you've answered your own question there Tzarevitch. It would be a mightily overpowered option if it was allowed, thus sensibly it isn't allowed. I certainly wouldn't allow it and I'm sure you wouldn't in a campaign you run.

Cheers

Tzarevitch

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I've added my emphasis to your post. I think you've answered your own question there Tzarevitch. It would be a mightily overpowered option if it was allowed, thus sensibly it isn't allowed. I certainly wouldn't allow it and I'm sure you wouldn't in a campaign you run.

Cheers

Yes, but what I was wondering is if anyone knows of something authoritative that can be cited to that says this is wrong. (FAQ, a rule, a passage in the PHB, DMG etc.) I don't allow spell-like abilities to be used that way in my game but I was wondering if anything SPECIFICALLY says that spell-like abilities can't be used that way.

Tzarevitch

Tzarevitch

First Post
Scharlata said:
Hi!

Cool idea, but if you have a looksee into Part 2 of Rules of the Game: All about Spell-like abilities, you'll stumble upon the Header: DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SPELLS AND SPELL-LIKE ABILITIES. That alone suggests that you couldn't substitute spell-like abilities for spells or vice versa.

On the other hand, create a MONSTROUS feat called Spell-like Strike and change the prerq's.

Enjoy!

Your statement does not logically follow. The only thing that that header suggests is that there are also similarities between spells and spell-like abilities (otherwise they wouldn't have made a header that suggests that there are differences). The instance of Arcane Strike is not listed under similarities or differences. In fact, there is nothing really similar to the Arcane Strike feat so you can't really extrapolate. The only thing that I can find to support my argument that it shouldn't be allowed is the fact that I think it would be unbalanced to allow it. What I am trying to find out is, is there anything that anyone can cite that clearly says whether or not a creature can use a spell-like ability to power an arcane strike?

Tzarevitch

green slime

First Post
Well, one of the prerequisites for Arcane strike is the ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Spell-like abilities are not, as far as I can tell, arcane or divine.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Tzarevitch said:
I don't allow spell-like abilities to be used that way in my game but I was wondering if anything SPECIFICALLY says that spell-like abilities can't be used that way.
The book does not explicitly say, in so many words, "you cannot power Arcane Strike with a spell-like ability." However, the book also does not say "you cannot power Arcane Strike with a cheeseburger." Neither statement is necessary.

Arcane Strike talks about using up a spell to power it. A spell-like ability is not a spell; a supernatural ability is not a spell; a Quarter Pounder With Cheese is not a spell. Therefore, none of those things can be used to power Arcane Strike.

green slime

First Post
AuraSeer said:
The book does not explicitly say, in so many words, "you cannot power Arcane Strike with a spell-like ability." However, the book also does not say "you cannot power Arcane Strike with a cheeseburger." Neither statement is necessary.

Arcane Strike talks about using up a spell to power it. A spell-like ability is not a spell; a supernatural ability is not a spell; a Quarter Pounder With Cheese is not a spell. Therefore, none of those things can be used to power Arcane Strike.

How about a Royale with Cheese?

Remove ads