spell power +1

FANGO

First Post
It is a little troublesome to have such high DCs, as characters who have not properly maxed out their saves will pretty much have no chance of saving, or a character will have a very bad chance of saving on their bad save or something. However, I find that it really isn't all that hard to max out saves (I've a 15th level forsaker type who has a fort save of +26 with no magic, and a 20th level bard type with a will save of +38), the only problem is that some PCs don't spend a lot of time on it and end up being left in the dust. As long as you can find a balance between high DCs and high saves (saves are easier to max than DCs, I think) then it's not too big a deal to have a pretty high DC, I'd say. And Elminster's will save sucks, so it's not that big a deal to charm him ;-)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Darklone said:
There was a smackdown thread once about minmaxing the DC of a shadowmage sunelf Thayan archmage enchanter idiot naturally with spellcasting prodigy......

He could have charmed Elminster at lvl12 with 95%.

Yep when abused spell power can get silly. The problem is without spellpower at the high levels where you'd get it, foes, pcs, the neighbors dog, seem to be immune to a wide range of effects, and make their save on a 2 in their bad saving throw. And as for the big E he's nasty purely because of the 35 levels or what not. Any pc built up to close to that level with a bare hint of power gaming smarts would pimp slap him from here to moon even after taking a left turn in Albuquerque.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The Kender said:
I wrote "from X school" meaning the specialized school and I used it to increase the DC, not heighten the spell (The first option. Read under Circle Magic. Maximum +40 I believe)
Hmm... I can't find that in the possible options for cicle magic. FRCS, p.59:

• Increase the circle leader's caster level ... (maximum caster level 40th).
  • Add Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, or Heighten Spell metamagic feats to spells currently prepared by the circle leader. Each bonus level counts as one additional spell level required by the application of a metamagic feat to a spell ... (maximum spell level 20th).
  • Increase the circle leader's level ... for level checks (dispel checks, caster level checks, and so on) ... (maximum level 40th).

Sigma

First Post
I've got an 18th level cleric with some insane save DC's. She started out with an 18 Wis, which has since been bumped up to 22 through stat bumps. She's got a +6 periapt of wisdom and has 8 levels in a prestige class from DotF that gives her access to the Madness domain (which gives you a madness score equal to 1/2 your cleric level + 1/2 your prestige level. The madness score is added to your Wisdom for purposes of spell casting and subtracted for skill checks.) which gives her an effective +7 to Wisdom (it would be higher, but she has 4 levels of another prestige class dragging it down.) Finally, we've been playing the Against the Giant series and the DM rolled the +5 wisdom bumping tome. Final Wisdom score?

18+4+6+7+5=40

That's right, saves for her 0 level spells are 25, and 9th are 34.

I'm so proud of my little munchkin cleric. :D

Belares

First Post
Sorry guys about my mini-rant on headbands of intellect I was just noticing that everyone seems to have one, but as I know, they are useful for spellcasters so I know that's why. Just found it odd that it's now just assumed you have one. It's probably because my campaign is a little on the magic poor side (to keep magic items magical) that I've noticed that.

I understand what you meant Icebear. what I was eluding to was that the wizard in my campaign is 9th level and is taking craft wondeerous item at 9th and he is only making the headband of intellect +2...of course he istalking about making it better later as he gets more exp and cash.

Cullain

First Post
know. I explained why I felt that way. I said that I tend to run a below average magic campaign that usually ends at lvl 7 so I'm just not used to seeing all the magic items that are in normal games

But also, these are mentioned more in 'look what my character's DC could be' conversations, than in 'look what my character's DC actually is' conversations.

Everyone and their brother the wizard talk about having one, but I don't know if that means they have one.

Cullain

Remove ads