spell power +1

tleilaxu

First Post
i think spell power is the greatest ability that a wizard can get. DCs in the 30s! woo!

ahem..

what would be the cost for an ioun stone that provided spell power +1? how about a belt or amulet?

how about an ioun stone that gave spell power +1 for illusions, or +2 for illusions and +1 for all other schools?

tleilaxu

First Post
It just ads 1 to the DC of your spells. Archmages and several other PrC get it.

Just like when you take spell focus you get +2 to a particular school. Take greater spell focus (from Tome and Blood) for another +2. Your Spell DC is now 14 + Intelligence bonus + spell level. If you get spell power this pumps it up.

Archmages can take (over three levels) spell power +1, +2 and +3, which STACK.

say you have an illusionist who has three levels of archmage and an intelligence of 22 (+6 from a headband of intellect gives 28). This 28 gives a +9 bonus to spell DC (and skill points kiddies!). If this same illusionist takes spell focus and greater spell focus in illusion, his Spell DC will be an incredible 29 + spell level.

Imagine that sucker casting Weird at a DC of 38! Good luck folks

Numion

First Post
tleilaxu said:

Imagine that sucker casting Weird at a DC of 38! Good luck folks

Considering that some of the PCs in my high-level game have saves approaching 30s, a DC of 38 is not outrageous. Wierd also requires two failed saves, so it's no biggie. ;) Really.

High-level PCs also have quite a lot of protective magics active, so high saves rarely mean automatic insta-kills. (Though with dispels and all that, those too are bound to happen.)

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
kreynolds said:

Xarlen said:
Spell power? It's not ringing a bell.

Same here.

It's one of the abilites that the Archmage can choose as part of their "High Arcana" class feature. A few other prestige classes, such as the Red Wizard and the Shadow Adept, also get the Spell Power ability.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
You know, there must be a lot of +6 headband of intellect floating around as I *always* see them being used so matter-of-factly in these threads.

IceBear

Crothian

First Post
IceBear said:
You know, there must be a lot of +6 headband of intellect floating around as I *always* see them being used so matter-of-factly in these threads.

IceBear

Don't you know? There is a sect of Wizards that build magical items of all types and power and randomly places then in dens, pits, and tombs. :rolleyes:

Personally, I agree. I find it utterly rediculus, but it's not my game. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
Personally, I agree. I find it utterly rediculus, but it's not my game. :)

Doesn't anyone believe in taking on dangerous and harrowing quests for tomes anymore, or any magic item for that matter? :( Magic items used to be a really slick centerpiece for an adventure, as the item was the reward. They occassionally are in my games, but are they ever in anyone else's?

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I say leave spell power to prestige classes. If you want higher DCs, raise your intelligence. If you want spell power, talk to your DM about a prestige class.

Remove ads