spell power +1

tleilaxu

First Post
my wizard wants to make a headband of intellect because it is a great item to have! of course wizards would want to be more intelligent...

clark411

First Post
Correct me If I'm wrong..

but Spell Power +1 , +2, or +3 is much more powerful than simply raising your spell DC.. it also gives you a bonus to caster level checks to overcome SR.

Getting Spell Power +2 is the equivalent of getting Spell Penetration **AND** Spell Foci in every school you can cast.

A silly Wiz 15 / Acm 5 with Greater Spell Penetration rolls caster level checks as if he were level 30. Hopefully MMII will have higher SR's... because unless i'm missing something, only Solars and Tarrasques can possibly resist.. and even then only on a 1, or a 2.

Which is why I too am becoming an Archmage one day. (with a +4 Headband of Int- hey... if I can make one, I can wear one.)

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
I never understood why Spell Power stacked.
Its not like DCs don't get insanely high already with SplFocus and GreaterSF, coupled with Stat boosting items and the like.

IceBear

Explorer
Sorry guys about my mini-rant on headbands of intellect :) I was just noticing that everyone seems to have one, but as I know, they are useful for spellcasters so I know that's why. Just found it odd that it's now just assumed you have one. It's probably because my campaign is a little on the magic poor side (to keep magic items magical) that I've noticed that.

IceBear

The Kender

First Post
Evoker10/Red Wizard10

Base = DC 10+Spell Level
+1 Spellcasting Prodigy = 11+Spell Level
+6 29 INT(Headband of Intellect +6) = 20+Spell Level
+4 Greater Spell Focus = 24+Spell Level for Spells from X school
+5 Spell Power = 29+Spell Level for Spells from X school
+40 Circle Magic = 69+Spell Level for Spells from X school, 64+Spell Level for Spell from non specialized school

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The Kender said:
Evoker10/Red Wizard10

Base = DC 10+Spell Level
+1 Spellcasting Prodigy = 11+Spell Level
+6 29 INT(Headband of Intellect +6) = 20+Spell Level
+4 Greater Spell Focus = 24+Spell Level for Spells from X school
+5 Spell Power = 29+Spell Level for Spells from X school
+40 Circle Magic = 69+Spell Level for Spells from X school, 64+Spell Level for Spell from non specialized school
Red Wizards' Spell Power applies only to their specialized school.
Further, when using Circle Magic to Heighten a spell, you can't get the spell to higher than 20th level.

Last edited:

Darklone

There was a smackdown thread once about minmaxing the DC of a shadowmage sunelf Thayan archmage enchanter idiot naturally with spellcasting prodigy......

He could have charmed Elminster at lvl12 with 95%.

The Kender

First Post
I wrote "from X school" meaning the specialized school and I used it to increase the DC, not heighten the spell (The first option. Read under Circle Magic. Maximum +40 I believe)

Metalsmith

First Post
IceBear said:
You know, there must be a lot of +6 headband of intellect floating around as I *always* see them being used so matter-of-factly in these threads.

IceBear

Of course there are!! I don't know about Wizards, but Sorcerers can eaisly knock out a +6 Cloak of Charisma at 8th Level by socking away 18,000gp (not unreasonable as the Character Wealth Table suggests 27K) and the requisite exp and 36 days later, Bam!

Hell you can even throw in 660gp to hire 20 3rd level Mercneary Leaders to guard you during the 36 days if you are paranoid about being disturbed.

Spellcasters can now make magic items at low levels I wish people would stop looking cockeyed when the 9th level sorcerer shows up with +6 Cha and +6 Con items.

Metalsmith

IceBear

Explorer
Metalsmith said:
Spellcasters can now make magic items at low levels I wish people would stop looking cockeyed when the 9th level sorcerer shows up with +6 Cha and +6 Con items.

Metalsmith

I know. I explained why I felt that way. I said that I tend to run a below average magic campaign that usually ends at lvl 7 so I'm just not used to seeing all the magic items that are in normal games. And yes, I know that this is not a standard campaign so my opinion is "wrong", I was just making an observation and it's a valid one - spellcasters all have ability increasing magic items now.

IceBear

Remove ads