• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spell power +1

tleilaxu

First Post
i think spell power is the greatest ability that a wizard can get. DCs in the 30s! woo!

ahem..

what would be the cost for an ioun stone that provided spell power +1? how about a belt or amulet?

how about an ioun stone that gave spell power +1 for illusions, or +2 for illusions and +1 for all other schools?

tleilaxu

First Post
It just ads 1 to the DC of your spells. Archmages and several other PrC get it.

Just like when you take spell focus you get +2 to a particular school. Take greater spell focus (from Tome and Blood) for another +2. Your Spell DC is now 14 + Intelligence bonus + spell level. If you get spell power this pumps it up.

Archmages can take (over three levels) spell power +1, +2 and +3, which STACK.

say you have an illusionist who has three levels of archmage and an intelligence of 22 (+6 from a headband of intellect gives 28). This 28 gives a +9 bonus to spell DC (and skill points kiddies!). If this same illusionist takes spell focus and greater spell focus in illusion, his Spell DC will be an incredible 29 + spell level.

Imagine that sucker casting Weird at a DC of 38! Good luck folks

Numion

First Post
tleilaxu said:

Imagine that sucker casting Weird at a DC of 38! Good luck folks

Considering that some of the PCs in my high-level game have saves approaching 30s, a DC of 38 is not outrageous. Wierd also requires two failed saves, so it's no biggie. ;) Really.

High-level PCs also have quite a lot of protective magics active, so high saves rarely mean automatic insta-kills. (Though with dispels and all that, those too are bound to happen.)

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
kreynolds said:

Xarlen said:
Spell power? It's not ringing a bell.

Same here.

It's one of the abilites that the Archmage can choose as part of their "High Arcana" class feature. A few other prestige classes, such as the Red Wizard and the Shadow Adept, also get the Spell Power ability.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
You know, there must be a lot of +6 headband of intellect floating around as I *always* see them being used so matter-of-factly in these threads.

IceBear

Crothian

First Post
IceBear said:
You know, there must be a lot of +6 headband of intellect floating around as I *always* see them being used so matter-of-factly in these threads.

IceBear

Don't you know? There is a sect of Wizards that build magical items of all types and power and randomly places then in dens, pits, and tombs. :rolleyes:

Personally, I agree. I find it utterly rediculus, but it's not my game. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
Personally, I agree. I find it utterly rediculus, but it's not my game. :)

Doesn't anyone believe in taking on dangerous and harrowing quests for tomes anymore, or any magic item for that matter? :( Magic items used to be a really slick centerpiece for an adventure, as the item was the reward. They occassionally are in my games, but are they ever in anyone else's?

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I say leave spell power to prestige classes. If you want higher DCs, raise your intelligence. If you want spell power, talk to your DM about a prestige class.

Remove ads