D&D 3E/3.5 Spell power special ability and D&D 3.5

greymarch

First Post
Several prestige classes in D&D 3.5 received a special ability called spell power. This special ability, gained at various levels in a prestige class, would allow a caster to increase the DC saving throw for some or all of his spells. The 3.0 Red Wizard had it, and the 3.0 Archmage had it.

Now the spell power special ability has changed for the Red Wizard and Archmage in D&D 3.5. It no longer increased the DC for your spells, it instead increases your caster level check for things like spell resistance, and dispelling.

There are still other prestige classes that have not been written for D&D 3.5 that have the spell power special ability. The Shadow Adept from the Forgotten Realms Campaign book is just one of them. Should the spell power special ability be changed for every class that has it, so that it conforms with the 3.5 Red Wizard and 3.5 Archmage, or was it intended to only change for Red Wizard and Archmage? When a prestige class has "spell power" is that now considered a standard type of ability that works the same way for every class, or is spell power different for each class that gets it?

A player in my gaming group is thinking of playing a Shadow Adept, and we need to know how the spell power ability works for a Shadow Adept.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'm about 100.1 % percent positive (well, it could a little less, I'm not certain) that spellpower was meant to be changed all around. They couldn't reprint all the classes which uses spell power.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Andy Collins seems to imply that the Spell Power change should be applied across the board.

From the WotC boards:

Originally posted by Shadow Adept
1) Should the spell power ability of a) shadow weave magic and b) the shadow adept PrC be used the same way as the revised archmage and revised red wizard spell power?

2) Will an official rule or errata cover that?
Originally posted by WotC_Andy
1) I'd say yes.

2) Not until or unless the prestige class is revised in an official source.

William Ronald

Explorer
I think it is only fair to apply the same standards for spell power. Mind you, a few levels of spell power and spell penetration can help a spell caster get through spell resistance.

Remove ads