D&D 5E Spellcasting Using the Recharge Mechanic

Fanaelialae

Legend
I haven't done the math so this is a question. If attack cantrips scale in damage naturally but spells don't; is there a possibility that a high level caster will do more damage with the infinite cantrip than say a simple first level spell? I suspect upcasting may come into play.
Yeah, it can be the case at high levels. At 17th level a Fire Bolt deals 4d10 (22) vs Magic Missile at 3d4+3 (10.5). That said, there could still technically be uses for 1st level spells over cantrips, albeit situational. Burning Hands is AoE, while Magic Missile can't miss (for example). Realistically though, at high levels you probably want to use your low level spells mostly for utility, so it's basically a non-issue IME.

It's an interesting idea, but I've got 2 problems with this. If you are going to force recharge on class abilities, you have to do it for every class, not just casters. Second, it adds a level of book keeping and mechanics that I don't see enough benefit from.

I admit, I like the randomness of it. I like introducing randomness into combat. But, I don't think this is a good way to go about it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Tangent to the thread, but:

I've been experimenting with a dragonborn barbarian in the party, whose breath weapon recharges on a roll of 5-6 on 1d6. It hasn't broken the game, and the player really seems to like it. I can see how it could work for a variety of class features--maybe not every class feature, but a lot of them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Tangent to the thread, but:

I've been experimenting with a dragonborn barbarian in the party, whose breath weapon recharges on a roll of 5-6 on 1d6. It hasn't broken the game, and the player really seems to like it. I can see how it could work for a variety of class features--maybe not every class feature, but a lot of them.
We already do this as well and have been for about two years. Frankly, it just makes more sense IMO. FWIW, we also make it an Attack action so you can combine it with Extra Attack or as an attack outside of your turn (if applicable).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I haven't done the math so this is a question. If attack cantrips scale in damage naturally but spells don't; is there a possibility that a high level caster will do more damage with the infinite cantrip than say a simple first level spell? I suspect upcasting may come into play.
High level cantrips are better than 1st level spells by Tier 3 (11th level). 1st level spells are for utility at that point, not damage.

Remove ads