Spellcraft Check for Metamagic on Spells?

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Spellcraft check of DC 15 + spell level will reveal what the spell is, but does this include metamagic as well?

Example: Fireball is DC 18, but what would an empowered fireball be? DC 20? If so, does the one making the spellcraft check gain the metamagic feat used as well as the spell?

Thanks!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Spellcraft check of DC 15 + spell level will reveal what the spell is, but does this include metamagic as well?

And what about if they use a metamagic rod? Does that make the check easier again?

Aargh! Make it stop!

-Hyp.

Albereth

First Post
If you are talking about for a possible counter attempt then I do not believe that metamagic matters. If you cast a Maximized, Empowered Fireball and you used a spellcraft check to determine that it was a fireball being cast then a fireball will counter it.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Albereth said:
If you are talking about for a possible counter attempt then I do not believe that metamagic matters. If you cast a Maximized, Empowered Fireball and you used a spellcraft check to determine that it was a fireball being cast then a fireball will counter it.

Right. Also, if it's for another reason, the wizard will have a good idea what metamagic was used on the Fireball if he considers the damage he's just taken. :p

If I recall correctly, the only metamagics that affect the Spellcraft DC are Still Spell and Silent Spell. There are rules in the DMG regarding making the DC harder if the observer cannot see the somatic or hear the verbal component of a spell.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Nah, it still counts as the same level as the un-meta-magic-ed spell.

Otherwise heighten spell would be even more worthless.

--Empowered Spikey

Cloudgatherer

First Post
No, no. Regardless of damage or counterspell attempts I'd like to find this out. Would an empowered fireball be DC 20 or 18? Would it give metamagic info or not?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell: In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original level even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell. Saving throw modifications are not changed (unless stated otherwise in the feat description). The modifications made by these spells only apply to spells cast directly by the feat user. A spellcaster can’t use a metamagic feat to alter a spell being cast from a wand, scroll, or other device.

There's the pertinent info from the SRD (if I understand you correctly).

--Maximixed Spikey

Crothian

First Post
I think by the rules the DC would be 18.

However, I think it shoould be 20 because I'd like to add a bit of power to metamagic spells.

Either way I think the p[erson rolling spellcraft would realize that some sort of modification was being applied to the spell. Only way they would know which was if they had the same metamagic feat.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Here's my suggestion (Warning: house rule)

DC 18 - "He's casting fireball"
DC 20 - "He's casting an Empowered fireball"

This wouldn't matter for counterspelling purposes, but it'd be nice to know - and could matter, if you have that FR feat (Reactive Counterspell?)

Ristamar

Adventurer
CRGreathouse said:
Here's my suggestion (Warning: house rule)

DC 18 - "He's casting fireball"
DC 20 - "He's casting an Empowered fireball"

This wouldn't matter for counterspelling purposes, but it'd be nice to know - and could matter, if you have that FR feat (Reactive Counterspell?)

I had been considering the very same house rule. I think I will likely put it to use.

And I believe the feat you are referring to is Improved Counterspell (or the Archmage ability Mastery of Counterspelling).

Last edited:

Remove ads