Spelljammer Spelljammer Confirmed? Adam Lee Drops Hints About "Jamming Out" Next Adventure Product

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Was it Chris Perkins who had The Great Modron March on his desk in some photo or other? Maybe it's related to that.

I'd LOVE 5E Spelljammer, though!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
There were also some references Perkins made in earlier videos of bring back the strange pixies from Chult, and adding a gnome mind flayer.

Honestly Spelljammer as an adventure product makes a lot of sense, much more than it being a setting product anytime soon. There are a lot of concepts/rules they can add, plus an actually good Spelljammer adventure would make this an excellent product.

Spelljammer is more arcanepunk than even Eberron, and the space fantasy(planetary romance) is a subgenre d20 isn't ready yet, because the relatively cheaper "magic technology" break the balance of power.

With a giant crossbow or a catapult from a Spelljammer your PCs could kill giants, a dinosaur or another kaiju monster. How would be the XPs reward when it is easier with "extra help"?

Again I am saying Hasbro's plans are an universal d20 system for all the genres, sword & sorcery, superheroes, urban fantasy/gothic-punk horror, or space opera, but this needs time and a lot of playtesting. Not only a d20 system for the TTRPGs, but also for the videogames adaptation, the future of this business. I would bet they want to use Spelljammer to create a new videogame franchise like "Mass Effect".

* I suggest to add Spelljammer the monsters and races from Gamma World and d20 Future(Star Frontiers+Alternity).

Urriak Uruk

Again I am saying Hasbro's plans are an universal d20 system for all the genres, sword & sorcery, superheroes, urban fantasy/gothic-punk horror, or space opera, but this needs time and a lot of playtesting. Not only a d20 system for the TTRPGs, but also for the videogames adaptation, the future of this business. I would bet they want to use Spelljammer to create a new videogame franchise like "Mass Effect".

* I suggest to add Spelljammer the monsters and races from Gamma World and d20 Future(Star Frontiers+Alternity).

I'll say with some insider knowledge (very little, please don't ask me questions) that Hasbro seems to have very little interest in micro-managing Wizard's because they are so profitable right now. They seem a little afraid to release a bunch of complementary toys or video games or anything out of fear of over-saturating the market. It's a case of "don't fix what's not broken."

There is some interest in Hasbro of utilizing a D&D IP for entertainment, specifically for TV/film, but they're still being pretty cautious.

I'm not sure what the caution actually derives from, but Hasbro definitely seems to consider it's line of entertainment IP like Transformers and GI Joe as something very different than the IPs at Wizard's. I think it has something to do with the level of consistency Magic (and now D&D) have been able to deliver great revenue and profits, as opposed to more "generic toys," which can fluctuate much more.

EDIT: More direct response, Hasbro is not pushing Wizard's into some universal D20 system, and won't do so as long as Wizard's delivers profits. Don't f*** with a golden goose.

With a giant crossbow or a catapult from a Spelljammer your PCs could kill giants, a dinosaur or another kaiju monster. How would be the XPs reward when it is easier with "extra help"?
The really really large Spelljammer monsters were already ridiculously powerful and big, but back then 2e never had Challege Ratings just XP values for monsters. And I don't think it was ever given at what level a party could ever stand a chance at fighting a Beholder Tyrant Ship, which had the ability to magnify the Eye Rays of Beholders 30+ beholders and their Hive Mother into some very powerful attacks.

2e Spelljammer sort of had 2 scales things took place at, ship (with hull points) and personal (with hit points) level.

While vehicle rules are coming into place, I think there's room in 5e to present combat at 2 different scales.

Some monsters like Space Witchlight Marauders weren't meant to be fought at the personal scale.

Urriak Uruk

Unrelated, but found this when searching "Beholder Tyrant Ship."

1568657950326.png

Seeing the top right in modern art would blow my mind.

EDIT: Or this, for those Mind Flayers.

1568658069721.png

Remove ads