Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

Dragonstar hasn't been adapted to 5th Ed, and other 3PPs are creating their sci-fi settings with the 5th Ed system. Maybe Dragonstar could be published by WotC in the future if there is partnership between Hasbro and Embrace Group, the new owners of Asmodee/Fantasy Flight Games.

Phlogiston shouldn't appear, at least because it is not enough interesting for storytelling purposses. I guess the "wild space" will not be mentioned. Among different reasons, because there is not enough space in only one book.

Shifters(weretouched) could appear in Spelljammer as deserters from the Vodoni empire. Or maybe a time-traveler go to the past to avoid certain actions of the emperor Vulkaran, and this becomes the dark lord of a dread domain as punishment for his blaspheme betray.

Or somebody used the werevermins as biological weapon against the theriantropes of the Vodoni empire, cause a great destruction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The idea that those two things, when literally part of the same cosmology, shouldn’t be the same “setting”, it’s just wild to me. Like having two games that are totally separate for playing in the ground front of the American Revolution and the naval front, or one for engaging in the diplomacy and intrigue and another for being an active revolutionary, but all under the same ruleset, with the same classes, same rules for non-combat challenges, etc. I’m just absolutely bewildered by the idea that they should be separate.

And I see your position as similar to saying that a setting with trains and a setting with airplanes can’t possible be the same setting.

Or, to use another existing setting as a comparative example, it’s like saying that an urban noir setting where one of the PCs steps off the platform of a magical train and into a magical taxi with an address for the other PCs P.I. Office at the start of a campaign full of cat and mouse intrigue, can’t possibly be the same setting as a pulp adventure setting where the heroes make a daring escape from the ruins of the ancient giantish castle with the mysterious artifact and are flown to the next locale in their patron’s airship.
Replace "setting" here with "genre." Both of your Eberron examples share that same pulpy genre. But Spelljammer is Star Trek, while Planescape is Constantine. Sure, mix them, sounds fun: but a treatise on the cold War between Heaven and Hell in a Star Trek sourcebook is not on topic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They are two separate things, the astral thoughts and the material places.

However the material places are the official settings themselves, such as Greyhawk, FR, Dragonlance, etcetera.

How to get from one setting to an other would happen via astral thoughts.

In other words, the Spelljammer setting actually is the phlogiston of the astral sea. Thus, the same astral sea where the alignment Wheel domains exist, is the same astral sea that the spelljammers navigate.

It is all Planescape.
I think what you are missing here is that both Spelljammer and Planescape are more than means to an end: Sigil and the Great Wheel is a location for Adventure in itself, as is Wildspqce. The connective issue is tertiary.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree with you about the distinctions of the settings, but for me they aren't mutually exclusive. In most of my campaign concepts, both Sigil and spelljammming, crystal spheres and phlogiston exist as parts of the cosmology. It's more a matter of tone, plot and scope if and how they come into play.

But mixing them together in an astral sea soup isn't my cup of tea.
Oh, yes, mixing them at the table is glorious. Again, I'm talking about the scope of book products: I don't need Mechanus political meddling in Factions in the same two covers as space travel mechanics. Two seperate things entirely.

Maybe Dragonstar could be published by WotC in the future if there is partnership between Hasbro and Embrace Group, the new owners of Asmodee/Fantasy Flight Games.
shudder Please no. I don't even trust WotC to be good stewards of the property they own, let alone anyone else's IP. Fantasy Flight is still a thing, even if they aren't independent anymore. I'm fine with them licensing it out if they just want to stick to making card games now, but I'd take almost any other reputable publisher before I'd want WotC's take on Dragonstar.

I think one big change will be more multiculturalism and a preview of one or two of the new settings coming.

I think it will be Planesjammer light in that Phlisgon will still be a thing, but Spelljammers with enhancements that allow Planeshifting with be more common. I also think there will be a section with optional suggestions on how to incorporate the MtG settings into Spelljammer (In Fizban's Tarkir, Theros, and Ravnica get mentioned, so those aren't done and forgotten settings).

I think there will be a new Interstellar map, but Krynnspace, Greyspace, and Realmspace will stay connected.

I agree that given that the mirror Planes & Border Elemental weren't things in Spelljammers, yet now they would have huge implications for Spelljammers, that will need to be addressed.

New Crystal Spheres, new Monsters, new kinds of Spelljammers.

I also think this could be slipcase set of books, like Setting book, Beastiary with PC races & Ship stats (basically a crunch book), and an adventure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think one big change will be more multiculturalism and a preview of one or two of the new settings coming.

I think it will be Planesjammer light in that Phlisgon will still be a thing, but Spelljammers with enhancements that allow Planeshifting with be more common. I also think there will be a section with optional suggestions on how to incorporate the MtG settings into Spelljammer (In Fizban's Tarkir, Theros, and Ravnica get mentioned, so those aren't done and forgotten settings).

I think there will be a new Interstellar map, but Krynnspace, Greyspace, and Realmspace will stay connected.

I agree that given that the mirror Planes & Border Elemental weren't things in Spelljammers, yet now they would have huge implications for Spelljammers, that will need to be addressed.

New Crystal Spheres, new Monsters, new kinds of Spelljammers.

I also think this could be slipcase set of books, like Setting book, Beastiary with PC races & Ship stats (basically a crunch book), and an adventure.
I think Ted is out to Lunch with the slipcase idea: I think we are way overthinking the "format" issue, and it will be more like how Strixhaven bent the Adventure/Setting distinction.

Last edited:

Remove ads