Spelljammer Spelljammer in D&D 5e Speculation: How Will the Setting Be Changed?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Yes please, no Elven Space Navy. It's not that I didn't like Elven ships, but the idea that Elves everywhere are united in this genocidal, racist, Space Force always made me cringe.

1650583046749.png

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yes please, no Elven Space Navy. It's not that I didn't like Elven ships, but the idea that Elves everywhere are united in this genocidal, racist, Space Force always made me cringe.
I actually always liked the Elven Imperial Navy. Especially how their "ships" differed from everyone else's (being made of plants, and all). Using them as a sort of colonialist, genocidal faction was a pretty interesting take on Elves in the setting, in my opinion.

JEB

Legend
I actually always liked the Elven Imperial Navy. Especially how their "ships" differed from everyone else's (being made of plants, and all). Using them as a sort of colonialist, genocidal faction was a pretty interesting take on Elves in the setting, in my opinion.
Maybe the Imperial elves will be a subset of the new astral elves? As long as non-colonialist elves are an option, don't see why we can't have both (or more).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
IIRC the scro were tied up with the Unhuman War backstory, and I suspect they're leaving that stuff on the cutting room floor.

(I was re-reading my Spelljammer recently and I'd forgotten how ... genocidal the elves were in that backstory.)
Nothing in my knowledge of fantasy says elves can't be racist jerks.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Nothing in my knowledge of fantasy says elves can't be racist jerks.
No and in fact, if you ever read the Complete Elves' Handbook, you'll see this is a common theme in 2e. But I never really cared for it. Elves with planet-killing weapons, scouring space of the goblinoid/orc threat, while in the actual planets, they hang out in tree villages and hide out from everyone?

They even hinted that Elves who hit their age cap and go off to distant lands (ala Tolkien) actually go into SPACE! There was a lot of zany, bonkers stuff in Spelljammer, and I liked a lot of it, but this one just irked me.

I mean, if someone else likes it, that's great, but I can live without it. More militaristic British hippo men with guns instead please!

Though yes, Elven ships did look cool. And I liked the Guyvers.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No and in fact, if you ever read the Complete Elves' Handbook, you'll see this is a common theme in 2e. But I never really cared for it. Elves with planet-killing weapons, scouring space of the goblinoid/orc threat, while in the actual planets, they hang out in tree villages and hide out from everyone?

They even hinted that Elves who hit their age cap and go off to distant lands (ala Tolkien) actually go into SPACE! There was a lot of zany, bonkers stuff in Spelljammer, and I liked a lot of it, but this one just irked me.

I mean, if someone else likes it, that's great, but I can live without it. More militaristic British hippo men with guns instead please!

Though yes, Elven ships did look cool. And I liked the Guyvers.
🤷‍♂️

We have very different tastes, I guess. I personally really like my elves as "elitist naughty words that think they're superior to everyone else, sometimes going so far to basically be Nazis." I like the Thalmor/Altmer from the Elder Scrolls, I like Vulcans, I like Aereni/Tairnadal Elves from Eberron, the Elves from the Inheritance Cycle, and the Elven Imperial Navy from Spelljammer. It just makes sense to me that a race that lives for such a long time, was literally formed from the blood of a god (at least, they believe they were), and values magic, knowledge, and beauty as much as the Elves do would end up being elitist Elven-Supremacists bent on conquering the world/eradicating "lesser" species.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
🤷‍♂️

We have very different tastes, I guess. I personally really like my elves as "elitist naughty words that think they're superior to everyone else, sometimes going so far to basically be Nazis." I like the Thalmor/Altmer from the Elder Scrolls, I like Vulcans from Aereni/Tairnadal Elves from Eberron, the Elves from the Inheritance Cycle, and the Elven Imperial Navy from Spelljammer. It just makes sense to me that a race that lives for such a long time, was literally formed from the blood of a god (at least, they believe they were), and values magic, knowledge, and beauty as much as the Elves do would end up being elitist Elven-Supremacists bent on conquering the world/eradicating "lesser" species.
Now if we had a Drow Space Navy, I could get on board with that. The Dark Elves are often elven stereotypes at their worst. But hey, making a race that's normally "good" and amping them up to 11 to make them "morally grey" is a perfectly acceptable practice. I didn't care for this interpretation, but that doesn't mean it can't work.

How does that saying go? If you live long enough, you get to live to see yourself become the villain?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases