Spelljammer Spelljammer, Jeff Grubbs Ruminations

darjr

I crit!
I’m certain this has been posted before but he just shared it again.

Here is a bit of it.
1) The original concept of Spelljammer came out of a now-legendary designer pitch session at Augie’s in Lake Geneva, near the Horticultural Hall (Augie’s became Cactus Club, and is now Ryan Braun’s according to the Google Maps). Manager Jim Ward called the get-together to discuss the boxed sets for the next year. From the table conversation, the waitstaff thought we were location scouts from Hollywood (and that Jim’s assistant manager, Warren Spector, was Steve Spielberg).
2) One of the things that I came into the pitch session with was the idea that I wanted to push the envelope on what D&D fantasy was. Yeah, we had done FR and DL, but those had been written down as typical fantasy worlds. Vanilla fantasy. Default fantasy. Background static. Here was a chance to go out on more of a limb and push the envelope. So this was the chance to do D&D in space. I’m sorry – Innnnn Spaaaaaaace!

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
pigs innnn spppaaaaaace!
376570_377933818939197_1094337211_n.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist

darjr

I crit!
Jeff posted this.

I suppose that with all the sudden attention on Spelljammer and Space Hamsters, I should point out that the (ongoing) origin of the Space Hamster can be found the essay "Hamster Trek: The Nature of Co-Operative Creation", to be found in the new Kobold Guide to Worldingbuilding: Volume 2. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

darjr

I crit!
Jeff Grubb answered a few questions with "Harbs Narbs" and he goes over Jeffs answers in this video. Interesting things like Jeff Grubb had a cyber punk game and he designed a game in college that became the TSR Marvell game.

Note near the end he talks about the 5e version.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Jeff Grubb answered a few questions with "Harbs Narbs" and he goes over Jeffs answers in this video. Interesting things like Jeff Grubb had a cyber punk game and he designed a game in college that became the TSR Marvell game.

Note near the end he talks about the 5e version.
Sorry, but what video? That's a link to this thread.

Did you mean this:

Remove ads