• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells using a Point Pool?

Just talked to a guy at a local bookstore. I was selling some gaming related items and he asked if I played D&D. I told him that I did and he asked what I thought about 4E. I chatted a bit about some of the things I liked/disliked from what I've heard on the net and then asked him what he thought of it.

He said:
1. His group had been selected as playtesters.

2. They only playtested for 1 session b/c they disliked the changes so much and didn't enjoy the experience.

3. Fighters have multiple types of attacks, each with its own name.

4. Wizards cast spells using a spell POINT pool.

5. Random derogatory comments that have been discussed to death on the boards. He basically indicated that he and his group thought the new edition killed too many sacred cows and the game wasn't for them. He appeared to be in his early 30's. (much like me)

Anyhoo, the spell point pool was something that I hadn't heard before, although I'm sure that there has been speculation abotu it. Just thought I'd share what I heard. As always, take it with a grain of salt and all that.

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
Yeah I smell male bovine feces.

1 session before they quit? Good grief....if that's true.....they're sucky playtesters.

Cadfan

First Post
I don't buy it. Everyone knows that a real 4e hater would playtest for weeks on end so they'd have something to complain about.

pawsplay

Hero
From what i've heard, I could totally believe 1 and 2. I had been toying with preordering 4e just because I figured I would want to try it out sooner or later, and I might as well get it cheap, but Ive since gotten cold feet. It looks... well, it's not how I would design a game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If they *do* go to a spell point system you'll hear me either laughing or crying no matter where you are, as after our homegrown 20-year experiment with spell points ended up with a broken system I'm in process of backing off and going back to slots!

Sigh........

Lanefan

DreamChaser

Explorer
Cadfan said:
I don't buy it. Everyone knows that a real 4e hater would playtest for weeks on end so they'd have something to complain about.

QFT - no fanboy or flamer worth his salt would stop playtesting that quickly. Heck. I would playtest a WoD game for at least 2 sessions and I intensely dislike every story / game background (if not mechanics and concept) that White Wolf has ever put out.

DC

Correction, the revised Mummy: The Resurrection rules were interesting.

Ever met this guy before? Seen him around? He's the only person we've heard of who claims to be a playtester, he just mentioned it to someone he met in a store and from your description he was careful to find out what your knowledge and opinions of 4e were before he started saying anything. At least one of the things he said - spell points - sounds nothing like what we've heard so far.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say I suppose it's possible.

If you see him again, ask him for a copy of the playtesting material so you can post it here! We'd all like to see it.

Last edited:

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Cadfan said:
Whoa whoa whoa, you're claiming that people form credible knowledge bases before deciding what they do or don't like and what's good or bad for the world?

I need to bring you to Earth sometime.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads