• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Spirits of Rock and Sky] weigh in on skulls

reason

First Post
http://www.twilightminds.com/sorasfull.html

The cultures of Spirits of Rock and Sky measure weight in units of (adult, average, subjective) fingerbones, skulls and bodies. Which leads me to an interesting problem; seems my concept of skull weight has been off base for quite the while. I'm tuning the economic assumptions for the setting, and getting the skull weight right is pretty important. Factor of two just isn't good enough :)

My search for skull weights on Google turned up a lot of *really* strange pages, and stranger vendors. (Try it sometime). Lots of answers, none of them providing a useful convergence.

So here's one for the masses: what does the average adult human skull weigh? I'm at somewhere between 5 and 10lbs right now, based on sources, experimentation, and some math based on head weight, brain weight and head mass as fraction of body mass figures. As I mentioned, that factor of two isn't good.

So come on, weigh in here and help me out. Medical students with access to skulls and scales would be ideal :)

Reason

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads