D&D (2024) Split the Players Handbook into two books: Lower Tiers and Upper Tiers

delericho

Legend
I can just about see them stripping out levels 16+ from the PHB (to free up space for other things). But if they do that, my fear is that those upper levels will be essentially gone, never to be seen again - they may well make noises about a high level support book, but given the numbers playing at those levels I suspect it would quickly fall by the wayside.

Art Waring

halozix.com
While not a bad idea, the thought of them breaking up the books any more means people will have to buy more books if they want their characters to progress to high levels.

Besides, in 3e they printed the epic handbook and it wasn't good at all (numbers way out there). It saw no use at all at any tables I played.

Pathfinder 1e had the Mythic Adventures book, but that wasnt epic level, more like "elite" PC's that can start at 1st level with a few mythic powers, with options for mythic play at all levels.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I could see the 1-10/11-20 break-down, but something occurred to me and maybe I am just off:

People don't enjoy playing 11-20 not because there isn't support for it, but because getting to the higher levels is the fun part.

IME, I've never really enjoyed playing high-level PCs (other than a one-shot or short adventure).

clearstream

(He, Him)
I can just about see them stripping out levels 16+ from the PHB (to free up space for other things). But if they do that, my fear is that those upper levels will be essentially gone, never to be seen again - they may well make noises about a high level support book, but given the numbers playing at those levels I suspect it would quickly fall by the wayside.
Where you write "fear" I think "hope" 🤔

clearstream

(He, Him)
While not a bad idea, the thought of them breaking up the books any more means people will have to buy more books if they want their characters to progress to high levels.

Besides, in 3e they printed the epic handbook and it wasn't good at all (numbers way out there). It saw no use at all at any tables I played.

Pathfinder 1e had the Mythic Adventures book, but that wasnt epic level, more like "elite" PC's that can start at 1st level with a few mythic powers, with options for mythic play at all levels.
They could include in the high tier book rules for generating characters at high tier.

Remove ads