• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Splitting your Move - The Move-Attack-Move Dynamic

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The only difference is in step #1. In previous editions (barring Spring Attack or the equivalent) you could move before you attacked, or after you attacked, but not both; if you started at a distance and closed to 10 feet away, you would have to end your turn there. In 5E, you can start at a distance, close, strike, and retreat again.

At a glance, this would seem to enable nasty hit-and-run tactics with a polearm, where you both start and end your turn outside your enemy's attack range. However, it turns out you have to have a very high movement rate to get any benefit from such tactics, and to avoid any retaliation at all requires a movement rate well into munchkin territory. When you think about it, 3E proved that the ability to split-move wasn't a problem. Otherwise every fighter would have picked up a polearm and Spring Attack.

Well, the polearm tactic still has some merit. If you have a front line fighter pinning the foes in one area at melee distance, and you run in and hit them with a polearm from the second rank and then run back, then the party is safer from area-attacks like fireball or a dragon's breath weapon. The less you clump together, usually the better...that is, until the invisible lurking predator hits the polearm guy that's separated himself from the pack.

Mistwell

Oh i mean that its not much different than in previous edtitions where the enemy either moved and stop 10 feet away to attack or started from 10 feet away and reteated after attacking. It leaves the target able to close on you on its turn and being melee. At that point, you'll provoke an OA if leaving.

Unless like you said if you have a high speed. Then it becomes a nasty tactic i agree.

It's also better if you kill your target with your attack, and then move back. Dead things don't make opportunity attacks.

Dausuul

Legend
Well, the polearm tactic still has some merit. If you have a front line fighter pinning the foes in one area at melee distance, and you run in and hit them with a polearm from the second rank and then run back, then the party is safer from area-attacks like fireball or a dragon's breath weapon. The less you clump together, usually the better...that is, until the invisible lurking predator hits the polearm guy that's separated himself from the pack.
Oh, of course. That's the virtue of the split-move option. It creates a bunch of interesting new tactical options without creating anything really broken.

(Also, this plus bounded accuracy means you can implement Tucker's Kobolds in 5E without having to give the kobolds a bunch of special bonuses and powers. I bet that's the real reason for the change. ;) )

Mistwell

Oh, of course. That's the virtue of the split-move option. It creates a bunch of interesting new tactical options without creating anything really broken.

(Also, this plus bounded accuracy means you can implement Tucker's Kobolds in 5E without having to give the kobolds a bunch of special bonuses and powers. I bet that's the real reason for the change. ;) )

Oh, nice one. I hadn't heard of Tucker's Kobolds, until now! Nasty.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
What would be the point? They can close with you and attack, without drawing an opportunity attack. Then for you to leave again, you would draw an opportunity attack.

What?

If I am using a polearm and I have reach, I will move up, mind you I don't have to get as close so that's granting me an extra 5 feet, attack, then move off someplace else. Unless he has reach himself, then the enemy won't be able to hit back and will have to expend his movement in order to come after me.

Uchawi

First Post
Combined movement/attack is great for a basic game, but it does place an emphasis on ranged combat and cover. I like a little more depth in my game, so I am hoping there is a way to build on the basic concept, so movement becomes a martial class trait, while other classes use stealth, flight, or some form of misdirection.

One thing it will surely do is create high value for Reach attacks + Prone Rider. With stand from prone costing (as of the last playtest) costing 100 % of your move, you have outright action denial or crippling of enemies' action economy with that combo + the "split move" rules. Haven't checked the Monster side of things but on the PC side I can right off the bat:

Fighter + Polearm or Quarterstaff

- Path of the Weaponmaster > Superiority Dice for Prone.
- Couple Weaponmaster with a Reach Weapon + Polearm Master Feat (OA at Reach) and you have a sick Martial Controller. This combo should be available by level 3. You only can do that twice per combat at level 3 but you would just lay waste to all of the standards/minions and save that for to utterly neutralize the big mean melee man bad guy...yikes.

With the above build you can Move within Reach Range > Attack with Prone Rider > Retreat and wait for enemies to enter your Trip Monkey Dojo.

Monk + Longspear or Quarterstaff

- Improved Flurry of Blows > Ki Point for Sweep (Prone). Not available until 11th level.

Monk

- Elemental Master > Ki Point for Spirit of the Tsunami for damage + Prone rider to all enemies in 15 cone (Close Blast 3). Not available until 11th level.

Mistwell

What?

If I am using a polearm and I have reach, I will move up, mind you I don't have to get as close so that's granting me an extra 5 feet, attack, then move off someplace else. Unless he has reach himself, then the enemy won't be able to hit back and will have to expend his movement in order to come after me.

Yes he expends his movement to get to you and attacks you. And now he's right next to you, so you cannot do it again without yourself being subject to an opportunity attack for leaving a threatened area.

Remove ads