[Spoiler for Of Sound Mind]

Did your group [see spoiler] in Of Sound Mind?

• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%

drnuncheon

Explorer
OK. I've run this adventure twice, and both times, the characters

EDIT: OK, putting in a bunch of carriage returns didn't help the spoiler thing any, because it still showed up in the hover text. So what I'm going to do is put it in the spoiler tags, and write it backwards. So there!

.etamina ot ti gnisuac ,eutats eht fo tuo eye eht deirp

I'm curious how common this was. So...when you ran/played OSM, did your group do it?

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Oh yeah. Both times :D.

One time, I was running it for eight year olds, and they didn't know any better: all I had to do was talk about how valuable they looked, and they went for the bait.

The other time, I was running it at a con, and everyone totally knew better. They knew there would be Dire Consequences. However, they also knew that the dire consequences would be fun.

They were right on both counts.

Daniel

Davelozzi

Explorer
One character was in place with the neccessary tool at the ready but he thought better at the last minute.

By the way, I think the spoiler tags have you covered. Typing backwards is a little much, IMHO.

Morrow

First Post
More Spoilers here.

Yep. I think they eventually managed to bury the animated statue, but only after a fair amount of mayhem.

Of Sound Mind provided a centerpiece for The Knights of Ill Fortune, my 'everybody dies.... a lot' game. One party played it through and got crushed by the final encounter, which I admit I unfairly modified. Among other changes I added a number of psionic animals, my pride and joy being a chicken that threw whitefire. (An idea that I got off these board many moons ago.)

Later a second party came back and killed the goblins, then burnt half of Bellhold to the ground trying to distract the mind controlled villagers. It didn't do them any good. They lost the dragonstone, and several party members, before leaving to find help. They never made it back.

Finally, during the campaign ending session, a third party came back two years later to finally crush the dragonstone and free the entire Duchy from its control. Unfortunately they killed the mind controlled Duke in the process, but no one ever liked him anyway. By the end, the dragonstone's power had increased considerably. In addition to the whole mind controlling everyone shtick, it managed to manifest a fully functional ectoplasmic copy of Copperdeath's original draconic form around itself. The campaign culminated in an aerial battle above Steeple Mountain.

Morrow

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
My group did not, but not for lack of trying. While one PC was about the start prying, another figured out how to open the passage, and they quickly dashed through.

They were really feeling a time crunch by now, as they had delayed too much early in the adventure, so they choose to keep moving forward.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Davelozzi said:
By the way, I think the spoiler tags have you covered. Typing backwards is a little much, IMHO.

Sadly, the spoiler tags don't work in the 'post summary' you get on the main page when you mouseover the link, which is why I double-protected it. (Of course it turns out I used enough wordage before that to knock it out of the summary, but I didn't want to edit it again.)

J

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Mine didn't, but that was likely because they ended the first session in that room and the second one started with them finding shards of glass near the wall opposite the statue.

I'd already lost one PC to the bonetangle by the time they got there, so I wasn't overly concerned.

7thlvlDM

Explorer
Yeah, I had a guy pry the eye out of the statue. I have this player who's cowardice is only surpassed by his greed. He was the same guy who, upon encountering a glass-lined pit with gems at the bottom, and having just prior to that run into 3 traps (one immediately following another with the last nearly taking his life), says "alright, I'm going in."

-7th

diaglo

Adventurer
the group i went thru with attempted to destroy the statue first. and then pry the eyes out. but they do that as SOP.

Remove ads