ZEITGEIST [SPOILERS] Cauldron Born terrorist plot help

Crispy120286

Explorer
Hey all, I'm coming up to the point where the Eschatologists are going to kindnap Stanfield and bomb the Sharon M. Baker station. However they discovered the information of the bomb and deduced that something is going to happen on that morning from everything in the safehouse under Soknik Repairs. They are planning on setting a trap and ambushing them on the morning of the 12th and the team leader even suggested shutting down the opening ceremonies all together. Would the Eschatologists expect this and plan for contingencies?

How would you suggest I let this play out to have an exciting and engaging encounter for them? In game time, its the night of the 11th, so its scheduled for tomorrow morning. not much time for my players to set anything big.

Falkus

Explorer
Personally, I'd say let them pull off the ambush if they've figured out the Eschasatologists plan. You can still have a nice, big fight and it feels really satisfying for players when they can get the drop on the bad guys like that.

Echolocation

Explorer
Good on your group! Here's a few lines from the book that may help:
The party might figure out Zubov’s target and lay a trap for him in the tunnels. They can easily get a dozen police officers to back them. The fight will be less dynamic than the one outlined below, so you might throw a curveball by having dwarven reinforcements arrive by rail car.
It would be cool to have two cars arrive, one westbound for Hotel Aurumn, with the bomb and Zubov on it, and one eastbound with radicals on it. If the party engages at the right moment, the crossfire between the two carriages could work to their advantage.

Crispy120286

Explorer
The scenario played out better than I could have ever hoped.

Two of my players, Amethyst and I'Sheng went out the evening before to investigate the tunnels. they did wait until last minute so the station was closed and locked. both of them searched for ways to get into the tunnels but with two Nat 1's from both of them. they gave up the night before and decided to go in early the next morning.

The next morning I'Sheng, a Druid, decides to sneak into the station as a cat and makes his way into the tunnels alone. at this moment the train hasn't arrived. I scheduled it so that the train will arrive at 9:00am on the dot to show how perfect the scheduling is on the new Flint Subway line. I'Sheng goes and investigates the side tunnels that is supposedly being used by the Eschatologists... alone. Offscreen I have him get captured by a large group of Radicals and the Prophet.

The others go exploring afterward and check the side tunnels but find them blocked off. and much to my surprise they do not attempt to break down any doors or walls. but go back to the station to speak to the station manager. They meet the station manager and inform him of an impending terrorist attack. As the Architect and Governor Stanfield arrive they make plans to shut down the station at Golden Point and evacuate the area. The Party says they will accompany them on the train to provide protection and to find and disarm the bomb.

Its almost 9:00am so the Governor calmly walks out with an architect who is nearing a panic attack to begin the ceremony. The Governor gives his speech and cuts the ribbon and then... Suicide bombers detonate themselves in icy bombs in the crowd. Then exactly as I predicted the constables rush into the crowd to save the innocents and bystanders. Its at this moment that the guards (Eschatologists the whole time ;))at the station rush the governor and the VIP's inside the station and out of sight. It takes the group at least 6 rounds to dispatch the terrorists and at that time the train has already arrived with the bomb already planted and primed. 10 Radicals and the Prophet move upstairs and cast Darkness on the station interior.

After taking out the Terrorists in the street the rush to the station and burst through the door into the darkness. Amethyst was the first to emerge on the other side and comes face to face with 10 rifles and a prophet who wants to "talk".

And that's where I ended it for the night! :D

At the beginning of the next session I'm going to have I'Sheng's scenario play out. He'll begin captured and tied up in the back of the train and stirs just as the Governor gets put into the train. Zubov gets his skyseer to talk too and he'll make the rest of his demands. I'm looking forward to the next session and am excited to see where this goes.

Remove ads