D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

Sacrosanct

Legend
They managed to get all the way to Camp Righteous and they still haven't gotten past level 1? That's some sweet encounter avoidance!

I don't plan to be that nice. I literally want the players to be fearful of leaving the safety of their inn rooms :D

Camp Righteous is pretty close, and you can get there by canoe (2 hexes a day). The only random encounter they had on the way there was the madness mist and a downpour. And since they decided to not partake in any of the city side quests (too broke for dino betting, and the only NPC quest they accepted was Undril's delivery mission to Camp Vengeance), they were still 1st level when they left. Last night's session had exactly one combat: the poisonous snake. With 2 hp. LOL. Not exactly a worrisome combat encounter. Even the potential encounter with the ax beak wasn't one, because the ranger rolled a natural 20 on her animal handling skill, so she has a new pet (just doesn't know it yet). We ended the session after they managed to recover the alchemy jug so they haven't left the temple yet. Speaking of getting past the dehydration rules, the alchemy jug does just that. They are extremely lucky to have found that right off the bat so early.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm not treating you like freak. You can stop with that nonsense right now. I'm pointing out how every time something like this comes up, you make some sweeping negative statement that is only true if a lot of assumptions are met. In this case, the only way it becomes as easy as you say is if the party is pretty much nothing but clerics and paladins who spend all of their spell slots on those types of spells. and that is most certainly not true of most gaming groups. So when you make a statement like "...you definitely can't use the base game without tweaks.", that is simply not a universal true statement. You do this stuff all the time, trying to say your arguments are somehow a universal truth. This is exactly what I was talking about in that other thread yesterday [MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION]. This isn't you just stating your opinion of your personal style. This is you telling everyone else what can or can't be done as if there is no debate, and it's simply not true.

Not to mention, if said players do spend their slots on spells like that, it means less slots they have during other combat encounters and other non combat encounters. To be frank, this reminds me of the discussions about how wizards in 3e make every other class obsolete. Those arguments rely on an assumption that the wizard will have every spell available and every slot available all the time, and that simply isn't true how the game is actually played.

And finally, I wish you's stop making claims about something you don't even have the book on yet, and telling us who do have the book and have played it that we're wrong. Chult is tier 1. Says so right in the book. Tier 2 is dwellers of the forbidden city.

Apollonaut13

First Post
I've made a Discord server for ToA DMs to share resources and chat with each other about running the game. There are over 80 of us in here already:

~content removed~

Last edited by a moderator:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Of course you can be stricken with all kinds of malaise, only smart players negate everything that they can negate.

You come across as someone who doesn't actually play the game. Everything you say tends to be based on your personal assumptions about how a game should be, as if you yearn to know what an actual game is like, but haven't actually experienced it.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I've noticed that the book goes to great effort to make a distinction between "making" a Wisdom (Perception) check and passive Perception. Numerous times it points out that they're not considered the same thing, like in the following:

Characters who search for such things while approaching the village notice the tripwires with a successful DC 13 Wisdom (Perception) check; otherwise, they’re noticed by anyone with a passive Wisdom (Perception) score of 13 or higher.

This runs counter to my previous assumptions about how 5e and adventure modules worked. I've never seen this distinction be pointed out so clearly. The wording is the same throughout the module so I don't think it's not a mistake when it only mentions making a check and not the passive. In other words, I think it assumes that unless it's specifically pointed out that a passive Perception notices something, all the other perception checks have to be actively rolled ones.

Which raises the question: do I ask for these checks at appropriate times or simply assume they walk into these traps unless the players say they're actively searching for things?

CapnZapp

Legend
I've noticed that the book goes to great effort to make a distinction between "making" a Wisdom (Perception) check and passive Perception. Numerous times it points out that they're not considered the same thing, like in the following:

This runs counter to my previous assumptions about how 5e and adventure modules worked. I've never seen this distinction be pointed out so clearly. The wording is the same throughout the module so I don't think it's not a mistake when it only mentions making a check and not the passive. In other words, I think it assumes that unless it's specifically pointed out that a passive Perception notices something, all the other perception checks have to be actively rolled ones.

Which raises the question: do I ask for these checks at appropriate times or simply assume they walk into these traps unless the players say they're actively searching for things?
There are "hidden" secret doors in Princes of the apocalypse that have DC 10. OOTA also features trivial DCs.

I can't even *begin* to understand what the designer thought.

Memo to all WotC employees: a competent group of players will always make sure to include at least one Wisdom-based class with Perception proficiency.

This means that any DC of 15 or less will be either automatically detected (if you use passive Perception) or be more likely than not to be detected (if you only use active Perception)

It should have been forbidden to describe a DC 10 door as hidden or secret! Even a Commoner auto-detects these, for Crosslake!

So no, I can't even begin to explain what they were thinking. It's useless, that's what it is.

I've had to scrub secret door detection rules entirely, making up my own house rule that says you're using Investigation to detect inanimate features, and to use my own DCs where DC 15 is the new normal - any lower and the handiwork is shoddy or inept.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads