D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
In similar vein to the "Enhancing" threads but rather more focused on discussing aspects of ToA and how to run it rather than assuming it needs enhancing.
Sorry for starting a duplicate thread! I've asked to have them merged.

But I just want to say, for the record, that "enhancing" isn't meant to imply that the adventure is deficient. It was supposed to be more along the lines of "What would make it (even) better than it already is?"

Valmarius

First Post
I'm actually planning on postponing the death curse for the greater part of the adventure.
My current idea is to run the campaign more like an Indiana Jones TV show, with the PCs perhaps as part of an explorers society that makes treks out into the jungle/ruins.
Probably start at lvl 3, run a number of these treks until the PCs are at level 6 on average, at which point the death curse will kick in. Hopefully one or two of the PCs will have died by that point and been raised, so I can get some personal investment in ending the curse. At the very least they should have some cursed acquaintances in Port Nyanzaru by then.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Does anyone know of a cheaper way to print the Tomb maps on one sheet?
If you don't care much about the quality of the result then print shops like Kinkos do cheaper print options like for CAD work on a light paper that comes off a massive roll. It's usually black and white only but it's good enough to show the players.

Another option that I'm using is a TV screen connected to a computer. Either that or you can use a Chromecast to cast the image to the TV screen.

Oops, I'm really sorry. I genuinely thought no one had made a "running the adventure" thread. Do you suppose we could ask a mod to merge the threads?

EDIT: Just did that.
Groovy.

I hate to break it to you, but you don't. You're just a hallucination of the collective minds of ENWorld posters.
I have BPD. It seems fitting that I'm a reflection of this community :D

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Sorry for starting a duplicate thread! I've asked to have them merged.

But I just want to say, for the record, that "enhancing" isn't meant to imply that the adventure is deficient. It was supposed to be more along the lines of "What would make it (even) better than it already is?"

Fair enough. I have a strong bias against SKT so I guess my thinking was that the enhancing thread was meant to "fix" SKT. I'm happy for the title to be changed to Enhancing since it seems to be the default assumption that people will search for here.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
https://www.reddit.com/user/turntechz went to the effort of rolling 480 dice for me. I just asked if there was a way to do it via some sort of program or excel sheet or something, lol. The idea was to break up the adventuring day into 3 time periods of 8 hours each and roll a d8 to see when the possibility of a random encounter occurred within each period. So a d8, followed by a d20, three times per day. I broke it up into 1am to 8am, 9am to 4pm and 5pm to midnight, with the assumption being that encounters occur roughly within the hour rather than dead on it. This is what turntechz came up with:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15GUDDE8q1VEofKcCwpKj3aPOYMo520l2owGMpM17D7o/edit?usp=sharing

I saved it to my own Google drive, made a copy so I could edit it, and I'm now in the process of adding my rain calendar to it. I think I'm realising now that I could've probably used an online generator to generate a random string of d8's and d20's and just paste it into the columns for my own version. D'oh. Regardless, this'll be a huge time-saver at the table for the myriad of random encounters you need to roll for the adventure as written, not to mention having random weather predetermined, and also as a day-tracker and countdown for the adventure to know when Syndra perishes.

I have the Fantasy Grounds version of this module. Question regarding the hex map...

Does the module's hex map have a "blank" side? The FG has a blank version that you use to track position. However, I'm going to potentially allow as a side-quest/way to make extra money by actually mapping the area. I can unblank each hex that the party successfully makes an Intelligence (Cartographer's Tools) on. That is, if they don't get lost.

I do wish there was an easier way to do it in FG, though.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=31465]Nebulous[/MENTION], I once used gamer-printer.com, but I can't access the site anymore. Did something happen to Michael Tumey, does anyone know?

I've been looking into various online printing options (e.g. vivyxprinting.com) that offer "economy" printing...typically this seems to be inexpensive paper w/ a matte finish, coated for light ink distribution, with reduced color vibrancy. For example, a 24"x36" economy print on vivyx costs $8.00.

jimmytheccomic

First Post
So, I've got a change I'm making up front, putting it here in case it's helpful to someone else.

Teleporting to Chult seems less fun for me than sailing in, and I also know my players are gonna joke around about level 1s being sent to the island instead of a more skilled/experienced party, so I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone while also giving a nice action set piece in the beginning.

I like the "Cellar of Death" DMs Guild adventure, so I'm going to open up with that, which gives the players a link to the Harpers. Rather than the NPC the book provides (whom puts on a time limit I'm not crazy about in an exploration campaign), the party is going to be part of a larger Harper strike force. They're on three boats of Harpers sailing to Chult. (That'll also give some time for some fun interactions while sailing to flesh out their characters more, and maaaaybe some pirate adventures, I'll feel out the room.)

Once the ships arrive at Chult, I want to have a huge battle with Aremag, in which the party is shipwrecked and most of the rest of the Harpers are killed. This'll give me a few big advantages.

-Establishes the danger and weirdness of Chult, while also getting to paint a nice island reveal since they're sailing in.

-Give us a nice huge action set piece up front

-Push the threat of the death curse. Before the voyage, the idea of death being permanent felt more like an abstract threat to the Harpers, but I want to play up the absolute terror faced by the other adventurers as they realize this could mean they're dying for good.

-And, if I strike up any great NPC relationships while sailing through, one or two of them can survive as well and give me some sub-plot juice in Chult.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases