D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

Onslaught

Explorer
Something I'm having a little trouble with is figuring out what, if anything, the PCs need to gain an audience with a merchant prince in order to get.
They give life to Port Nyanzaru, but you don't have to use them directly. I had a similar doubt in post #198: what is the point in each of the Merchant Princes.

Ekene-Afa: Many of her items are for sale in the markets, like canoes and raincatchers. Would it be fair to assume that the PCs would need to deal directly with her in order to purchase any of her magic items?
He's presence is "Neutral". You could use him as the sole seller of magic items OR make him apper to supervise one store the PC's are visiting.

Ifan Talro'a: He has "dozens of merchants" who sell his beasts for him. It seems like one needn't meet with Ifan at all, unless you're a Zhent wanting to buy a flying snake.
He's in league with Yuan-ti. He might sell beats to players and point to Salida (guide), or the PC's could see she talking with him when they arrive at a beast shop.

Jessamine: I'm guessing her herbs and plants can be purchased at the markets, but you'll need to see her in person to buy any poisons or sanctions.
Since has the Death Curse, she could call the PCs and give them some kindof support when she discovers they're searching to end the Death Curse.
They could also go after her when they're told to kill Shago, to get permisson to do so.

Jobal: He doesn't seem to sell anything as such, and I can't really see any reason for the PCs to seek him out personally, since the guides advertise their services around the city.
They could be pointed to Jobal when they ask around for guides, and he points to registered guides, showing their "resumes" (aka: handouts).

Kwayothé: It seems like one would be able to purchase everything she controls in the markets. No need to see her directly at all (unless you're up for a bit of S&M).
He's part of Help a Dyeing Man quest, so there's the reason to introduce him to PCs

Wakanga: He seems like the only one who does absolutely need to be dealt with directly, since he mostly deals in knowledge, as well as potions and scrolls.
Syndria outright points to Wakanga, he's probably the first Merchant Prince the players will meet.

Zhanthi: Most of her stuff should be purchasable through the markets. There doesn't seem to be a need to see her directly either.
Another "Neutral" presence. Players can interact with Zindar (who works for Zhanthi) and Shago (her son), but don't need to contact her directly... unless they actually kill Shago.

Given all that, there doesn't seem to be much point in using the black market. There aren't many things that can't be purchased at standard prices on the open market, and there doesn't appear to be anything you can only get via the black market, so I can't see why anyone would bother trying to track down the black markets, especially since everything will cost at least 3x as much as the standard price.
True, but as [MENTION=25643]ca[/MENTION]ppnzap said, it's just the definition of bleck market.

Am I missing something, or is the black market only useful in situations where you can't buy an item through legitimate means, for whatever reason? (Like if you can't get an audience with the relevant merchant prince or if you've offended said prince and they've blacklisted you.)[/QUOTE]

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've just indexed post #219 and noted that that is the last one indexed (at the bottom) so that others can start from that point if they chose to spend a moment indexing new posts (I'll review it periodically). Just try to remember to update that notation for the next person, thanks! :)

extralead

First Post
Has anyone considered the Archfey in ToA? The module makes mention to the Summer Queen and her ability (but not necessarily desire) to destroy the Ring of Winter. My problem is that the only class (including from the new XGtE content) that links to the Archfey is the Warlock. I was hoping there would be more direct connections to the Archfey for other new subclasses, but I'm not sure this in the works for XGtE. Are there any unique ways to include it?

CapnZapp

Legend
I've just indexed post #219 and noted that that is the last one indexed (at the bottom) so that others can start from that point if they chose to spend a moment indexing new posts (I'll review it periodically). Just try to remember to update that notation for the next person, thanks! :)
I have been around for more than a decade and have no idea what you are talking about.

(I am genuinely curious)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I have been around for more than a decade and have no idea what you are talking about.

(I am genuinely curious)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Take a look at the first post on this thread :) - There's a new feature called Wiki threads and "anything goes" threads like this one really benefit from an index into the posts so that people can quickly get the info they're looking for when wanting to "enhance" their game.

pukunui

Legend
Does anyone else want to pretend the gravity ring with the mirror tomb doesn't exist? I get why it's there, but I feel like it would just be a headache to use in play.

EDIT: The generic MM lich has a +12 to hit with its Paralyzing Touch. Acererak, for some unfathomable reason, only has a +8 to hit. Since his proficiency bonus is +7, and he has a +1 from Strength, I'm assuming they've calculated the attack bonus that way. That's also how they've calculated his attack bonus for the staff. Which is fine ... but it makes me wonder how they calculated the generic lich's attack bonus, since it has a Strength mod of +0.

Also, the official MM errata changed the generic lich's Disrupt Life legendary action so it targets "non-undead" creatures rather than living ones, but Acererak's action just says "creature". Do you suppose that's an error, or is his action more powerful and can even affect undead creatures?

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Does anyone else want to pretend the gravity ring with the mirror tomb doesn't exist? I get why it's there, but I feel like it would just be a headache to use in play.

I was definitely concerned that players wouldn't "get it" and would waste a bunch of time messing about there (I wanted there to be at least a strange sensation as they passed through the top of the ring). On a second read I got less concerned once I realized that the dead body is supposed to be absent once they transit the full ring. I just think a DM will have to send a lot of clues so at least when the realization strikes there'll be an "aha!" rather than a "gotcha!"

I was definitely concerned that players wouldn't "get it" and would waste a bunch of time messing about there (I wanted there to be at least a strange sensation as they passed through the top of the ring). On a second read I got less concerned once I realized that the dead body is supposed to be absent once they transit the full ring. I just think a DM will have to send a lot of clues so at least when the realization strikes there'll be an "aha!" rather than a "gotcha!"

I'm a bit concerned about it too. I've been wavering on using it, but I'm thinking someone is going to throw out a Perception check attempt when they notice the body is missing, which will allow them to realize that there are no longer any of their footprints in the dust as well, and that their surroundings look less run-down than before.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
EDIT: The generic MM lich has a +12 to hit with its Paralyzing Touch. Acererak, for some unfathomable reason, only has a +8 to hit. Since his proficiency bonus is +7, and he has a +1 from Strength, I'm assuming they've calculated the attack bonus that way. That's also how they've calculated his attack bonus for the staff. Which is fine ... but it makes me wonder how they calculated the generic lich's attack bonus, since it has a Strength mod of +0.
It's a melee spell attack so it's calculated with the Intelligence bonus. Acererak's is therefore the wrong one. His should be +15.

Although, the lich's Arcana bonus should also be +19 instead of +18.

pukunui

Legend
It's a melee spell attack so it's calculated with the Intelligence bonus. Acererak's is therefore the wrong one. His should be +15.
Right. Good catch.

Although, the lich's Arcana bonus should also be +19 instead of +18.
Yeah, I noticed that one myself a while back, as it's +19 already in my statblock for Valindra ... but it does need to be added to the official MM errata still.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases