D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
My 4-5 level party has been pretty much breezing through the encounters in the wilderness, so I've had to start thinking about how to make them more challenging. I asked for help with adapting Mabala (and got good advice) in kthis thread

I'm working now on Hrakhamar. Depending on how many players are present (our crew ranges from 2-7 players per session), I'm planning on adding a Fire Elemental Myrmidon and/or a Fire Elemental to the shrine. I've also given some thought to adding a Salamander somewhere, and magma mephits, fire snakes, and or magmin in some places. In the case of the Elementals and Salamander, my idea is that they are also devotees of Imix and "in charge" of the fire newts in this location. (Maybe there is some wider plot that will become evident later) The remainder are for variety (and some of them have experience with Magmin)

pukunui

Legend
My 4-5 level party has been pretty much breezing through the encounters in the wilderness ...
Mine too. But three of them have died in Omu so far, and they're now level 7. I'm actually starting to wonder if any of them will even make it into the tomb, let alone all the way to the Soulmonger.

Quickleaf

Legend
My 4-5 level party has been pretty much breezing through the encounters in the wilderness, so I've had to start thinking about how to make them more challenging. I asked for help with adapting Mabala (and got good advice) in kthis thread

I'm working now on Hrakhamar. Depending on how many players are present (our crew ranges from 2-7 players per session), I'm planning on adding a Fire Elemental Myrmidon and/or a Fire Elemental to the shrine. I've also given some thought to adding a Salamander somewhere, and magma mephits, fire snakes, and or magmin in some places. In the case of the Elementals and Salamander, my idea is that they are also devotees of Imix and "in charge" of the fire newts in this location. (Maybe there is some wider plot that will become evident later) The remainder are for variety (and some of them have experience with Magmin)

During my prep for our upcoming ToA game, this occurred to me while reading through the adventure. Lots of random encounters, half of which aren't challenging and don't really connect to any meaningful story. So what I've done is roll them in advance – assuming jungle (that's most common terrain type, but may want to hold off until knowing your group's travel strategy) – then massage the results with these points in mind:

(1) Consolidate/creatively interpret results to make encounters more multi-layered & allow for days of "travel montage" and days that get more played out.
(2) Establish linkages between various encounters, referring to one another & to other parts of the adventure.
(3) Put an emphasis on story first, building on the Chult mythos.
(4) Treat a '20' on encounter check as TWO encounters mingled together; treat a '1' as sanctuary of some kind.

Here's an example: I pre-roll 60 days; my results for the first 3 are...

Day 1: - / 25 (stegosaurus) / - ; rain is light/light
Day 2: - / - / - ; rain is light/light
Day 3: -/ 12 (cannibals/ankylosaurus) + 96 (winterscape/yellow musk creeper) / - ; rain is light/light

To get a mix of "travel montage" days of no encounters & more interesting encounter days, I move the stegosaurus to the morning of Day 3. And since this starting point is definitely not going to be in Greater Undead Jungle, I focus on blending aspects of No Undead Jungle & Lesser Undead Jungle. So, my Day 3 looks like this...

Day 3.
Morning. Pass a grazing stegosaurus which has humanoid claw marks on its hide.
Noon. Have the "Cannibal Village" encounter below.
Night. No encounter; instead establish camping standard procedures.

Cannibal Village. Decaying elven tree houses with grisly cannibalistic fetishes amid yellow flower garlands. 14 yellow musk zombies wander below. Up in treehouses are 12 tribal warriors quietly feasting on zombie corpses – the yellow musk serves to intoxicate them – and they are careful not to disturb a yellow musk creeper overgrowing wooden stairs at central tree of the village. The cannibals are indifferent, not hostile, however they will try to protect the yellow musk creeper, which they treat as vintner would an orchard. If befriended, they enjoy making macabre jokes about certain PCs being “good eating”; they can warn PCs speaking Chultan about Batiri goblin traps, grungs using dinosaurs as weapons, and murderous cannibals with the sign of the blue triangle on their foreheads.

This encounter does a couple things:
  • Establishes that cannibals aren't always bad guys, relevant for showing the jungle is not only full of monsters. This is especially important to me when it comes to depicting Chult's culture; yeah, things are bad, but that's true even for the cannibals...who originally practiced a non-evil more-true-to-real-world form of cannibalism wherein they ate specific parts of honored dead for spiritual reasons.
  • Foreshadows other encounter rolls.
  • Foreshadows yellow musk creeper zombies early on, establishing that not all zombies are "zombies" (something I plan to play on later), and avoids the "gotcha" of plant zombies too late in the game.
  • Establishes that language is important in Chult (e.g. Old Omuan & communicating with grungs of Dungrunglung). I told my players this ahead of time, but it's good to reinforce it early on.
  • Shows that clever play & paying attention will pay off. Fighting isn't necessary at all in this case, and PCs could even get aid of cannibals in taking down the zombies. While a bad decision to engage the yellow musk creeper could lead to an unexpectedly deadly encounter.
  • Hints at remnants of wild elves, which are conspicuously absent from Chult; also something I intend to answer "where did the wild elves go?"

Last edited:

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
My players are not likely to stumble across hints that they need to look for Omu as they are provided in the book. I'm planning on planting a diary on a dead explorer they encounter at some point. (Right now they are on their way to Hrakhamar). I thought I'd also add a reference to the company of the yellow banner. I have a vague memory of someone mentioning this earlier. Has anyone written up diary entries along this line and is willing to share?

BMaC

Adventurer
A "dungeon roster" for the tomb of nine god would be helpful. I'm thinking of what is found on p. 113 for the fane of the night serpent, or what is included as a dungeon roster for each of the individual giant dungeons in Storm King's Thunder.

jasper

Rotten DM
I changed navigation a bit - since I couldn't find stats for guides in ToA, I decided that players can go alone into jungle or hire a guide. They decided to hire Azaka Stormfang and I gave them advantage on navigation checks because they hired her.

Guides write ups are page 33-35 TOA. You will have to look up the stats in MM, TOA, PHB. I think Shago has the best Survival at +7.

Quickleaf

Legend
A "dungeon roster" for the tomb of nine god would be helpful. I'm thinking of what is found on p. 113 for the fane of the night serpent, or what is included as a dungeon roster for each of the individual giant dungeons in Storm King's Thunder.

I created a room-by-room "dungeon roster." Several are not what they appear, others are clearly geared toward non-combat encounters, and others still have no good miniature/pawn options...so (as always) your own reading of the module may yield slightly different interpretations.

{SPOILERS}

Tomb of the Nine Gods
[SBLOCK=Dungeon Roster]
LEVEL ONE
1. 3 gargoyles (and possible nalfeshnee demon)
2. - (inanimate statues of 9 trickster gods)
3. -
4. -
5. shadow demon
6. wight dwarf
7. -
8. -
9. -
10. 6 wights
11. -
12. -
13. -
14. (possible flameskull & 6 spider swarms)
15. -
16. mummy su-monster
17. mimic (as treasure chest)

LEVEL TWO
18. swarm of bats
19. -
20. 3 water weirds
21. 3 zombies
22. 12+ skeletons
23. dao
24. gray slaad
25. armored flesh golem
26. 5 wight dwarves
27. armored flesh golem
28. Withers + 7 crawling claws

LEVEL THREE
29. -
30. -
31. -
32. -
33. shadow duplicate of PC
34. -
35. -
36. -
37. -
38. armored flesh golem
39. clay golem
40. -
41. 2 armored flesh golems
42. 3 wraiths
43. -
44. beholder

LEVEL FOUR
45. giant four-armed gargoyle
46. lizard
47. -
48. 48 animated armor
49. 2 bodaks
50. commoner, invisible stalker, minotaur, troll, drow mage, doppelganger, giant four-armed gargoyle, female warrior (NPC), stirge
51. 6 ghasts
52. 3 zombies
53. -
54. -
55. 10 minotaur skeletons
56. -
57. otyugh

LEVEL FIVE
58. 3 shambling mounds
59. orc war chief, 7 orcs
60. 2 mezzoloths, monodrone, bone devil, 4 will-o-wisps
61. -
62. stone juggernaut
63. -
64. 5 wight dwarves
65. aboleth
66. -
67. 4 spined devils, 3 bearded devils, 2 barbed devils, horned devil, erinyes
68. -
69. pentadrone, 9 quadrones
70. nycaloth

LEVEL SIX
71. 3 night hags ("Sewn Sisters")
72. -
73. dust mephit
74. scarecrow
75. 3 wereboars
76. -
77. atropal, Acererak
78. 8 nothics (chained up)
79. -
80. arcanaloth (disguised as old man)
81. -[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
re: Flaming Fist "charters"
If the guides have reason to think the PCs are powerful capable explorers, they could decide to just skip the charter, on the basis that, if caught, the PCs can counter-demand to see the Fists' authorization, and probably win the ensuing fight - the guide can then "helpfully" suggest the Fists obtain some sort of documentation from the Merchant Lords.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I suggested earlier that there be some fake maps of Chult. This does not comport well with the campaign as written, but there are some things that could be worked in:
- Describe a "previous expedition" that got lost and made a map of the route they THINK they were on. In effect, 'reverse engineer' the Navigation rules, and assume those NPCs always fail their checks. As long as you keep moving into the 'Terra Incognita' areas, this will work. (The group's survivors returned in defeat because their supplies ran out.)
- The guides with a powerful outside motivation might produce a map of the way to where they want to go, with the name of the place the PCs want to go filled in instead.
- Volo / his entourage could draw up something inspired more by the Rumor Tables than the actual lay of the land. Interesting places should be placed on / near a river that leads back to town.
- An NPC who is proficient with Cartographers Tools could make several copies of a map and sell it to several clients. He might make identical copies, but he doesn't have to. Lo and behold, Team PC keeps running into Team Rival every time somebody slows down.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Alas I possess this DM Flaw: I have the bad habit of giving speeches to deliver 'local color' when my players want to get on with the action. But since I'm currently not DM'ing, I can indulge myself:

The Save an Innocent Man side quest, as written, seemed shallow and not connected to anything else in the adventure when I read it. Since I imagine not beginning the campaign with its 'ticking clock' aspect running, we could tie a few in-town things together.
The distressed husband is not being entirely truthful. His other husband IS guilty of something, but not what he was charged with: he found one of the iron triceratops tokens (in a random jungle encounter?) and kept it. He later got into a personal quarrel. After drinking too much tej, he ran his mouth about how he was going to sanction the other fellow, and showed the token as "proof" of his power and influence. The real members of the Ytepka Society heard about it and took offense. They railroaded the motormouth and sentenced him to 'run the gauntlet' in Executioner's Run.

If the merchant lords were all presented as "local Zhent equivalents" - greedy and selfish - I would leave it there. But they are supposed to be more enlightened than that.
So: the original plan was that the motormouth husband would be dumped on the track on a particular day, when something proportionate to his wrongdoing would ensue; gotta distinguish between felonies and misdemeanors. (Also gives the bookies a slow day, to track down any unpaid debts.) The velociraptors down there today will be replaced with hadrosaurs tomorrow - and instead of a death trap, the husband would have been in The Running of the Bulls. The expectation was that he would be roughed up (down to about 1 HP), scared, exhausted, and probably the subject of much gossip and public jeering, but he would recover naturally - and realize that messing with those iron tokens is A Bad Idea.

Somehow the date for his release was changed / misunderstood. The PCs have to persuade the guards to put off until tomorrow what they otherwise would be doing today. A merchant prince might be able to write a note to that effect, or the PCs could forge one. I imagine trying to bribe somebody with SPs would mark the PCs as 'cheapskates' or 'outlanders'.

This can introduce the PCs to the iron tokens (and the Ytepka Society), some dinosaurs, the gladiatorial aspect of public entertainment, betting, and Executioner's Run.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases