D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

I'm having an issue.

My group is now in the Fane of the Night Serpent. So far, they've just dipped their toes in and have only explored a small area (they used Water Walk to skirt the eastern side of the map). They've encountered the Hydra and Ras Nsi. Right now, they are fairly close to 7th level, which is within the level guidelines for this portion of the module.

After this, they will likely head straight for the Tomb of the Nine Gods. According to the module, they should be 9th level. I seriously doubt they will be even 8th level when they complete the Fane. What are you guys doing to boost their experience points? Or, are you just letting them go in and get chewed up by the Tomb?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm having an issue.

My group is now in the Fane of the Night Serpent. So far, they've just dipped their toes in and have only explored a small area (they used Water Walk to skirt the eastern side of the map). They've encountered the Hydra and Ras Nsi. Right now, they are fairly close to 7th level, which is within the level guidelines for this portion of the module.

After this, they will likely head straight for the Tomb of the Nine Gods. According to the module, they should be 9th level. I seriously doubt they will be even 8th level when they complete the Fane. What are you guys doing to boost their experience points? Or, are you just letting them go in and get chewed up by the Tomb?

For your 7th level (or thereabouts) party, each needs about 11,000 XP to level up.

Simply going by the monsters in the temple – which is 5e's basic assumption for how PCs gain XP – there are about 50,000 actual XP worth of monsters the party may face. Thus, clearing the temple would be enough XP to level up a four-person party of 7th level PCs.

If the PCs choose a non-combat tactic (e.g. infiltration), that gives you an idea of how many XP the Fane is worth.

However, while negotiating with Ras Nsi could be a fun and tense encounter, it would seem to take much less table time & involve less risk than (a) combat or (b) infiltration. If your PCs opt for negotiating & you run it using the limited guidelines in ToA, then I would give them a small XP reward (e.g. 2,900 for Ras Nsi) and then let them delve into the Tomb under-leveled.

For your 7th level (or thereabouts) party, each needs about 11,000 XP to level up.

Simply going by the monsters in the temple – which is 5e's basic assumption for how PCs gain XP – there are about 50,000 actual XP worth of monsters the party may face. Thus, clearing the temple would be enough XP to level up a four-person party of 7th level PCs.

If the PCs choose a non-combat tactic (e.g. infiltration), that gives you an idea of how many XP the Fane is worth.

However, while negotiating with Ras Nsi could be a fun and tense encounter, it would seem to take much less table time & involve less risk than (a) combat or (b) infiltration. If your PCs opt for negotiating & you run it using the limited guidelines in ToA, then I would give them a small XP reward (e.g. 2,900 for Ras Nsi) and then let them delve into the Tomb under-leveled.

Unfortunately, there are 6 of them. They've already encountered Ras Nsi...the negotiations did not go well. However, it was one of the most epic encounters I think I've run in my 30 years of DMing.

I'm going to keep them in the Fane a bit longer. I changed it so that Ras Nsi did not have the last cube...Fenthaza does. This will keep them in the Fane longer and possibly provide more XP. Also, the Fane is on alert, so I will probably start sending forces after the group...we'll see how it goes.

I want them to be around 8th level, minimum, before they start delving into the Tomb.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Or, are you just letting them go in and get chewed up by the Tomb?
From Acererak's point of view, letting them enter the Tomb under-levelled is perfectly fine; he wants a steady supply of souls. Over-eager volunteers should be encouraged, not warned !

And when the Tomb chews them up (or swallows them without a trace), its reputation is enhanced - win-win.

From Acererak's point of view, letting them enter the Tomb under-levelled is perfectly fine; he wants a steady supply of souls. Over-eager volunteers should be encouraged, not warned !

And when the Tomb chews them up (or swallows them without a trace), its reputation is enhanced - win-win.

Some people enjoy that type of play-style; I am not one of them.

I want the adventure to be difficult, yes...not overwhelming.

Besides...the party is very cleric-heavy; one grave cleric, one light cleric, and a multi-class ranger/forge cleric. They are difficult to bring down.

Stormdale

Explorer
My guys were levels 10, 9, 8, 7, 7, 6 and an NPC (Lukanu?)released from the mirror in level 4 who replaced a fallen 8th level PC when we finished the tomb- which I shortened it as wandering dungeons to find keys to unlock the next level is fine for video games but bores me as a DM.

As for the earlier Q about the red wizards finding the keys in my case my party did 6 dungeons and I had a show down with the wizards in the ruins who were out to collect the other 6 from the pcs- was a great fight.

I also ignored Ras Nsi & fane, seemed little more than a (needless) diversion so downplayed/ignored that aspect but will use him and his lair in another adventure...

Stormdale

Quickleaf

Legend
Unfortunately, there are 6 of them. They've already encountered Ras Nsi...the negotiations did not go well. However, it was one of the most epic encounters I think I've run in my 30 years of DMing.

I'm going to keep them in the Fane a bit longer. I changed it so that Ras Nsi did not have the last cube...Fenthaza does. This will keep them in the Fane longer and possibly provide more XP. Also, the Fane is on alert, so I will probably start sending forces after the group...we'll see how it goes.

I want them to be around 8th level, minimum, before they start delving into the Tomb.

Your solution seems simple. You’re playing with greater number of PCs than average, but you’re wanting to use XP leveling guidelines in book designed for 4-person party...so just add some extra monsters.

Please, tell us what happened!

The group consists of an Elven Hexblade Warlock/Shadow Sorcerer, a Fire Genasi Diviner Wizard, a Tabaxi Scout Rogue, a dwarven Ranger/Forge Cleric, an Aasimar Light cleric, and a human Grave cleric. All of them are sixth level. The group has gone through each of the various shrines within Omu, tracked down the red wizards who beat them to two of the puzzle cubes and defeated them, then descended into the Fane of the Night Serpent to chase down the final one.

They spend the first day probing into the secret entrance to the Fane, killing off the Yuan-Ti guarding the entrance and then defeating the brood keepers and the slaver in the southern portion of the dungeon. Then, they used Water Walk to move across the river, encountering the Hydra and handily defeating it. The group decides to call it a day, gather the drugged slaves they found, and return to their base camp in Omu (the group rescued all of the sailors who were in the wreck of the Sea Goddess, rescued Orvex from the Red Wizard Camp, and also convinced one of the mercenaries working for the Red Wizards to join them after wiping out the rest of the mercenary crew). I rolled secretly to see when the temple would discover the group's incursion and then started rolling for reinforcements.

On the second day, the group again used Water Walk on the river (damned Clerics and their rituals) and found the main throne room. There, they find Ras Nsi and his crew. Ras Nsi tries to convince the party to work for him, promising them the last puzzle cube if they do. The group wants nothing to do with it and attack.

The wizard throws a fireball. Ras Nsi recognizes this and tries to counterspell...which is then counterspelled by the Wizard. Meanwhile, Ras Nsi's bodyguard rushes the Dwarf and the Hexblade. The Hexblade soon falls (Sekelok deals some crazy damage!), and the dwarf is doing everything he can to survive. The Light cleric throws a fireball, taking out a few more of the Brood Guards, and the Grave Cleric rushes to heal the Hexblade (Grave clerics are really good healers). Ras Nsi decides to withdraw to his lair for his magical shields while the rest of his guards delay the party. The Tabaxi Rogue sets himself up to target Sekelok, and the grave cleric uses her channel divinity to inflict vulnerability to the rogue's incoming sneak attack.

Needless to say, the entire encounter took 10 full rounds...the wizard and the grave cleric both dropped once, and the warlock came very close to dying twice (once due to massive damage, and once due to rolling a 1 on his death save after being taken down by one of Ras Nsi's fireballs). Spells were flying left and right, and the party (even though they were completely fresh coming into the encounter) were almost completely out of spells.

PabloM

Adventurer
Needless to say, the entire encounter took 10 full rounds...the wizard and the grave cleric both dropped once, and the warlock came very close to dying twice (once due to massive damage, and once due to rolling a 1 on his death save after being taken down by one of Ras Nsi's fireballs). Spells were flying left and right, and the party (even though they were completely fresh coming into the encounter) were almost completely out of spells.

Hah! That´s a really epic encounter! Two party members down and up, spells going around and counterspells. Amazing!

ps: I don´t remember a combat with ten rounds since 5e has been published...

Remove ads