D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Out of the Abyss Escape Scenario: To Fudge or not to Fudge?

aramis erak

Legend
From what you have posted I am going to disagree with you here.
All the paths are under 5' wide. Visibility to the prisoners is blocked by the large stalactite (and by elevation change). The access to the large stalactite provides a room that can be maybe 4 people... it's a choke point for sure... but a sorcerer or wizard can use a spell that doesn't require materials to take out them. A first level can do burning hands (L1, VS), or create flame.

A fighter can do 3d6, dex save for half, by forcing them off the walkways into the web via grappling, or in other areas 6d6 by forcing them over the cliff to fall 60'+...

The drow won't readily do this - slaves are profit, after all. But PC's can and should make use of the lack of surround to chuck drow over.

The spiders can be hurt easily enough. Apply a flame to the web - the web burns the spiders, AND they fall 30+ feet (for another 3d6.

Only one area of really open ground exists in the complex - in front of the drow barracks. Those rooms are SMALL...
Note that, if starting from first level, PC's shouldn't try to break out 'til second level...

Also note - the real threats are Ilvara (who can insect swarm for a lot - provided she can avoid melee), Asha, and the quaggoths. The Drow Elites shouldn't be together - they should be serving as officers. So, 2 resting, 2 on duty, 1 on patrol and 1 in Ilvara's boudoir...

Also, Ilvara should basically ignore things until another drow comes to get her lover.

Note also - it's kill 1 prisoner per rebellion - but those who take out lesser drow DO get XP for them, even if the PC is beaten down.

Now, it should take a few days to get reinforcements... so even tho' Ilvara can send for them, losses shouldn't get immediately replaced.

Oh, and the quoggoth are important for another reason - they can climb the walls and attack vertically, allowing for surrounding the PC's - only Ilvara can do similar amongst the drow there.

fba827

Adventurer
I debated this for a while as I too think ( on paper) it's a no win for the pcs, and takes away the agency from the pcs having a reasonable chance of escape of their own and almost requires the 'key slip' plot line.

The pcs do have a couple things going for them that I wasn't fully appreciating at first....

Drow over confidence
The not-kill just fear and beat until unconscious
The fact that the slave pick up is late meaning there are more slaves than usual which ( combined with draw over confidence) means that the drow can potentially under estimate the force of everyone if all the prisoners do work together since they are used to watching and controlling fewer people resulting in their guards being spread a bit more than usual

Because of this I am trying to decide if I just narrate their time as captives as basically 'background' and pick up right before they are being slipped the key. OR I play it out, which will result in many failed escape attempts and being beaten unconscious.

If I do the first idea the players will be less frustrated as to not have to watch their ideas be unsuccessful attempt after attempt.
If I do the second idea the players will be frustrated but there is a chance that their escape will be that much more satisfying and personal if they are able to stick it to the draw in the process

Still not sure which approach I'll take though.

Edit : but to clarify in neither case am I going to fudge. Though one of those two scenarios specifically bypasses the segment that would most heavily suggest fudging opportunities

Last edited:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Escape Part 2 went well. In part one the NPCs took point and helped the party reacquire their gear. For part 2, I had the PCs take point since they had their gear back.

For the Quaggoths I had most of them hit once by the Chasme (they do a ton of damage). 3 up top (2 damage and barely alive), and 4 at the cavern floor (3 damaged). The drow I left as is (well at least the contingent left).

The short range of the Hand crossbows ended up being a huge detriment. The drow hid in doorways of the towers and sniped while the Spiders and Quaggoth held the open ground. Originally I was going to have the grounded Quaggoth stay down but since someone pointed out they had a climb speed they arrived back on top in round 3.

A few players went down briefly and 2 NPCs died permanently (Buppido was played as an insane kamikaze, and Ront as a rush forward in your face fighter). The enraged Quaggoth hit super hard, not to mention a crit.

The one fresh Quaggoth fled by riding the basket to the ground after his two buddies bought it and he was below half.

Only 4 of the NPCs were heavily involved in the second half (Ront was slain by Jorlan, Buppido death by spider, Prince Derendil took the first tower then disappeared for a few rounds 'clearing' it, Sarith cautiously took potshots.) The rest were back guarding the prisoners (Asha, Elite, and a regular). JimJar remained unconscious after he dropped taking the guard house.

All together the party was pretty restrained (so far leaving most of the drow alive). They 'took' the outpost and have time to gather supplies before fleeing.
6 Quaggoth dead, 2 drow dead, 4 spiders dead. Asha, Jorlan, an elite, and 1 Drow captured (shackled and locked in the prison).

Fled: An elite, a quaggoth, and a drow.
Returning the next day: Ilvara's contingent - Ilvara, "Smoosh", an elite, 6 drow, 4 quaggoth, and 2 spiders which are joined by the fleeing 3.

With the end result being that the outpost will end up around 75% power.

The party gets a short rest, time to put on heavy armors, gathered supplies, and loot before picking a direction. And yes, I'm softballing them.

Time to start the random encounter fest. Current party is 6-8 players (regulars are 2 Fighters, Wizard, Bard, Rogue, and 'maybe shows' are Warlock, Ranger, 2 Clerics, and a Paladin) and 8 NPCs.

Same here. I'm getting ready to run Out of the Abyss and am starting to work through Chapter 1. I really don't want to go the "Jorlan lets you out" route unless I have no other choice.

At the same time, I don't want them to have an easy time escaping. I'm torn between wanting them to fail at least once and at the same time not wanting to take away the agency of a good plan.

Knowing that some of my players aren't really good at working as a team, though, I think I'll probably get that failed escape attempt without me having to do anything.

I debated this for a while as I too think ( on paper) it's a no win for the pcs, and takes away the agency from the pcs having a reasonable chance of escape of their own and almost requires the 'key slip' plot line.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I think "Jorlan lets you out" can also sub for any kind of social engineering plan. It doesn't necessarily need to be initiated by Jorlan. I imagine a Sarith or Derendil sympathizer might be found since it seems they were possibly from the outpost or nearby area.

Considering the initial group didn't have anyone skilled with Thieves' Tools (Jimjar could sub for this) they didn't have much hope of getting free without serious deus ex machina.

arjomanes

Explorer
My party didn't bite during the demon fight -- they were too freaked out and afraid of getting caught in the chaos. But the demons wreaked havoc among the drow, and the prisoners escaped that night as the drow were tending their wounded. They didnt go for their gear, they made a beeline for the ooze pond, and only had to fight the two guards and a couple quaggoths, as well as the ooze. Ront was the only one npc who died, though derendil went unconscious and was dragged to safety. Now theyre mostly naked in the underdark with just the drow guards' gear and some kitchen knives, clubs, etc.

One of my concerns, at several points in the module, is that some of my players can be a bit headstrong, and think they can take on anything. Ah well, the rest of the group can always drag their unconscious bodies away...

Only a little over two weeks now until I start running the module, so we'll see how things go.

My party didn't bite during the demon fight -- they were too freaked out and afraid of getting caught in the chaos.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I'm getting ready to run this and I have just started reading that chapter so it's great to see all of the discussion. I would like digress a little and mention that often, especially as players, we expect to be in the action within a round or so when in reality a good 30 seconds could go by before anyone was aware of anything happening. Guards in one tower might hear something the first round and then they could spend a good 18-24 seconds just looking around to take into account what is happening. Then you have to grab weapons make it out of a tower, move across the camp, etc. These things take a lot more time than I've ever seen taken in a game. So when it comes to the PCs escaping there may be a bunch of guards around but the PCs could be full sprint out away by the time they really have stock of what is going on.

Pursuit on the other hand. :devil:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
With over half the party succumbing to temporary madness (mostly in the form of inactivity) the rogue just shrugged his shoulders and was like, "I guess the only thing I can do I take on Demogorgon."

I immediately suggested they at least try to drag the unresponsive members to safety.

Remove ads