Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
That's what I'm leaning towards myself - a book with rules for ships and underwater adventuring, a section on water-based PC races (possibly reprinting sea elves and tritons, but adding new options like merfolk and locathah), and a bestiary focusing on aquatic creatures and nautical NPCs. Possibly a short adventure as well...

This would be perfect.

And if the PC options included Tritons, Merfolk, Sahuagin, and some kind of Crabfolk, I'll actually be able to run a game based on the new Aquaman film!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's what I'm leaning towards myself - a book with rules for ships and underwater adventuring, a section on water-based PC races (possibly reprinting sea elves and tritons, but adding new options like merfolk and locathah), and a bestiary focusing on aquatic creatures and nautical NPCs. Possibly a short adventure as well...

Very solid core idea for a full book. I'm excited, especially since I just got Goodman Games Isle of Dread book.

As an addendum to this, they could also include a chapter describing a typical aquatic/nautical-themed region. Either of the two sets of pirate isles in the Forgotten Realms (in the Sea of Swords or in the Sea of Fallen Stars) would work admirably.

Staffan

Legend
It would be cool if the book in question moved away from the Sword Coast to the Sea of Falling Stars. Coasts are nice and all, but for great naval stuff you usually want something less linear. The Sea of Falling Stars is sort of Faerûn's Mediterranean Sea (complete with Greeks and Egyptians).

It would also be interesting to see how the Sea of Falling Stars have recovered post-Sundering - as I recall, the 4e version was dominated by aboleths and their minions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads