Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

gyor

Legend
Dark Sun only need a psionic class, but somebody may miss the others, like the wilder, the soulknife, warmind, ardent or lurker.

If a new class need two years, then let's forget Tarak-Tur. That is a setting to put new classes like the sohei or 5th Ed version of the martial adepts (crusader, swordsage and warblade). And al-Qaudim also needs its sha'ir class, maybe with a game mechanic like the vestige binder.

Most of those will likely be handled via subclasses like they did with the Samurai.

Sohei, either monk or fighter subclass for example. Shi'iar was just a Wizard subclass in 4e, so I doubt that will change in 5e. All of them can be fit in as subclasses. Even weird stuff like Clock Work Mage from Al Qadim could be done as an Artificer subclass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Boo...

Soon(tm) should always mean at least the same day when tweeting...

They do have Twitch stuff this afternoon: they didn't say there would be an announcement at the Con, but suggested they would be talking about it there. If they announce stuff on Twitch today, put out a press release, and talk it up at the convention...seems reasonable.

Most of those will likely be handled via subclasses like they did with the Samurai.

Sohei, either monk or fighter subclass for example. Shi'iar was just a Wizard subclass in 4e, so I doubt that will change in 5e. All of them can be fit in as subclasses. Even weird stuff like Clock Work Mage from Al Qadim could be done as an Artificer subclass.

I don't agree. Some concepts should be base classes, or like pathfinder archetypes, a optional list of class features (for example the gladiator from Dark Sun 2nd Ed. Some players would rather a no-core class to feel their characters are different. And ninja, sohei and samurai (and swashbuckler) may be a softer way to introduce the game mechanic of the (ki) maneuvers and the martial adept classes. Sha'ir could be recycled to reintroduce the vestige pact magic, with a great potential for story hooks. Do remember some 3rd party publishers sell their own soucerbooks with new classes.

Now I notice the swashbuckler class could be perfect for aventures about ships and pirates.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't agree. Some concepts should be base classes, or like pathfinder archetypes, a optional list of class features (for example the gladiator from Dark Sun 2nd Ed. Some players would rather a no-core class to feel their characters are different. And ninja, sohei and samurai (and swashbuckler) may be a softer way to introduce the game mechanic of the (ki) maneuvers and the martial adept classes. Sha'ir could be recycled to reintroduce the vestige pact magic, with a great potential for story hooks. Do remember some 3rd party publishers sell their own soucerbooks with new classes.

Now I notice the swashbuckler class could be perfect for aventures about ships and pirates.

That's not really the design philosophy of Classes in 5E

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases