• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft Season 1: Blood Money

Game Control

First Post
[Read the Rogue Gallery for information on Control and two of the characters mentioned in the briefing. Obviously I expect that only my players will be posting in this thread!]

You’ve all been e-mailed yesterday with instructions to cancel your plans for the next week and to meet control today without delay. The meet is located in a squalid bowling alley in Green Field Park, a small suburb of Montreal. This ugly little alley is situated on one of the most tasteless commercial boulevard you have ever seen. And to think Control could have set the meet in any one of Montreal’s renowned restaurants instead…

Control invites you to play a few games while the clients leave. By 11PM you are the only players left. The owner locks up the place, gives a knowing nod to Control and then disappear in his office.

Well, that was fun but now it’s time to talk business.

Guys, I got just the mission to test your cool; You’re going to Africa! (He chuckles at his own lame joke, looks at you and then clears his throat).

Hum, okay.

You guys know what tuberculosis is? Of course you do. Dreadful disease, makes you cough up your lung, Doc Holiday had it. Anyway, it’s pretty much under control in all modern countries, thank God. Few cases and much fewer death. It’s not the same story in Africa, though. Over there the tuberculosis cases are counted in millions and increasing 10% every year because of AIDS.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has been shouting for attention for a while about outbreaks of a new Tuberculosis strain that is 100% resistant to all known drugs normally used to fight the disease. It’s pretty much an African problem so far but isolated cases have shown up recently in some major metropolises including New York. Most cases, however, are located in Zimbabwe. The problem is getting worrisome in any populated area, but for some reason the situation is downright out of hand in Binga.

What, you don’t know where is Binga? Why, it’s at the southern tip of Lake Kariba! (He beams you the smile of a man who just recently reviewed a map of Zimbabwe).

Here is a map of the area as well as some basic facts about the country.

So, you are asking yourself, what the heck does this have to do with us? Indeed, we don’t engage in disease control…

(He pauses for dramatic effect)

…unless a third party might be involved in its propagation!

(And now you feel as if you were in a courtroom)

(He hands you a thin dossier)

This man is François Balladur. He was a member of Action Directe, a French terrorist group back during the era of ideological terror. You remember Carlos the Jackal? The little fat guy currently rotting away in a French prison cell? He was a Colombian Marxist, his lieutenants were a German and a Japanese, he was trained by the Soviets, possibly in Cuba, and often worked for the Palestinians, usually for sizeable fees. These were the days, huh? Some silly authors are already dubbing this the golden age of terrorism. Given the current brand of terrorism that plagues us, I can’t blame them.

Anyway, Balladur worked with the Jackal during his terror spree in France, from 73 to 75. He is a product of this era of ideological mercenaries where terrorists were often seen as romantic heroes by impressionable youth. Never a big shot, but he was smarter than most of his colleagues as he apparently left the terror circuit in the mid seventies. In fact, his stint with Carlos probably was his only real brush with international terrorism. He disappeared at the end of 75 and never really surfaced. Some reports claim he mostly survived as a small time smuggler running weapons, drugs and whatever was available from Odessa to the Middle East and even deeper South.

But he was spotted recently in Zimbabwe by an ageing CIA agent in exile who worked on the Jackal case. That agent, frankly, is losing it (Control makes a drinking gesture). That’s why he’s wasting away until his retirement in this hellhole. He spotted Balladur at the airport in Harare but lost him in Binga. He did take photographs and that’s the only reason we can be positive that Balladur really was in Binga less than 48 hours ago. The Foundation looked up the plane on which Balladur arrived in Harare; Surprise! He flew in from Atlanta under the name of Brad Fuller. This means he has more clout than would be expected of a small time smuggler normally would, perhaps even a secret patron. He’s not even supposed to operate in the US, much less have access to the kind of forged documents that would allow him to do so!

What the heck is an ex-terrorist turned smuggler doing in Binga? The best scenario is that he was there simply to strike an arm deal with Captain N’gambe, a robber baron in uniform that controls the area. As a matter of fact, he and his men are surprisingly well equipped for a bunch of Zimbabwean thug soldiers (Control shoots you a meaningful glance). But since he arrived in Zimbabwe from Atlanta, it doesn’t feel quite right. We can’t discount the fact that Binga is located 1 mile away from a Medecin Sans Frontière (MSF) base camp where most of the drug resistant tuberculosis cases are being treated. Add this to the fact that Balladur originally was trained as a biologist back in the 60s and we might have something big brewing in Zimbabwe.

That’s why we want you to get there and get us answers. Track down Balladur if he’s still around or else learn what he was doing there. Trace down his every step. A white man in Binga, it can’t be too hard! Mind you, you aren’t black either. Keep this in mind.

President Mugabe has restricted travel in the area. Your cover will be that of envoys for the Red Cross. You are officially supposed to appraise the situation and see if you could lend a hand to Medecin Sans Frontière. Do spend just enough time on it to make the cover stick. You’ll probably want to check out the base camp anyway, so it’s not a waste of time.

Mugabe really isn’t too keen on any member of the international community coming snooping in his country right now. But no tourists or journalists are allowed near Binga currently so that was pretty much our only cover option. Be sure to tread carefully.

This is a yellow code mission. We are looking into the situation for our own benefit without having a third party bankrolling the operation so your resources will be limited. If this turns out to be a worst case scenario, this will be re-evaluated.

Let me clarify mission parameters:

Find Balladur. Question him. If he's simply acting as a smuggler, turn him to the authorities. If he it's something bigger, bring to our safe house in Harare. If it can't be done, terminate him after obtaining as much information as possible.

If he isn't in Bing anymore, find out why he came here. Also try to find where he went as it is likely you would be ordered to track him down in the even that he was no longer in Binga.

Any Questions?

If that's all, let's play game!

Good luck agents.

[OOC: If you do have questions, quote a part of Control speech and ask away. Be free also to quote each other and discuss the mission. The final sentence will soon become a link to another thread were you will meet your quarter master who is already in Harare and be offered the opportunity to suit up. Obviously this scene occurs after the briefing by control but do not be affraid to post in both simulteneously. I expect you to discuss the mission here and the equipment/gadgets in the other thread but I see no reason to wait for one to be over before moving to the other.]

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Kim finishes sipping his sprite through the straw and sets it down, and looks to Control, "So test our cool huh?" he smiles nonchalantly, "I think it should be too hard for a Korean to blend in in Binga..." he chuckles, "Never the easy jobs eh? Well I have a few ideas to bring to the table..." He leans back to think for a moment, "You think he is breeding the virus? It sounds like that to me..." He shakes his head and thinks, running through his mind just what he will need to budget for this particular endeavor...

OOC: Description and such can be found here... as an aside my budget check for this mission should be... Mission BP (2d4x4)+20 and Mission GP is 3 so I can gear up properly

Last edited:

Game Control

First Post
Control becomes suddenly very serious.

The thought that someone is engineering the disease has indeed crossed our mind.

But Balladur himself? I don't know.

Mind you, even if the disease turns out to be perfectly natural in origin, it is no reason to let a terrorist have fun with it!

Luddite

First Post
Luddite has spent most of the evening ignoring the lanes and playing at the bar's coin-op pool table, and drinking pints of what ever is on tap. When he arrived he was dressed in slacks, oxford shirt and a tie. As the evening progress he removed his tie.

When finaly summoned he brings the remainder of his pint to the table with control. His tie is still loose around his neck.

He does not say anything for a while as he is taking all the documents and pictures and studing them. He carefully places the various documents in front of himself on the table and shifts them around as he reads and studies

[ OOC: I am assuming that the photo of Balladur in Binga is in the collected documents. I study it (survalience check?) to see if there are an other interesting "features." For example. Someone of miltary rank near by, other caucasions/foriengers ]

Luddite finaly speaks Are there other photographs that the agent took? And why flying under the name of Brad Fuller important? Is it the fact that he was in the US at all? Any leads on his movements while in the US?

Luddite never looks up and shifts papers around while he speaks? It is as if he his thinking out loud, yet knowing others are there as well.

Game Control

First Post
Luddite said:
Are there other photographs that the agent took? And why flying under the name of Brad Fuller important? Is it the fact that he was in the US at all? Any leads on his movements while in the US?

These are all the photographs that the CIA agent took, Claude.

As for the importance of Balladur's presence in the States, it cannot be underestimated. Procuring the necessary forged document requires connection that we didn't think he had as a small time smuggler based in Odessa. Not to mention that we cannot fathom his motivation for going to the States in the first place. Tourism? (Control chuckle).

[OOC: Luddite, you have a good idea going about analyzing the photograph. But it takes one hour per check so I can't give you any answer during the meet. During the flight to Zimbabwe you'll have plenty of time tough. I'll post what you found in the next thread.]

[OOC: There is more than one photograph in the folder. Obviously your agent noticed this. This is going to be helpful in your analysis]

[OOC: Next time you request a skill check, please provide me with the relevant skill modifier so I don't have to look it up]

Last edited:

Alexander Roman

First Post
Alexander spent the evening having a good time. That's often his wont. If ya gotta do something, at least have fun with it. After several games of bowling, decked out in a loud shirt and bowling shoes, he heads over to the bar for a beer, then joins the table of other operatives and Control. He nods friendly like to the others at the table and flashes a smile. Once there he spends some time examining the information handed out by Control.

Alexander speaks: So, I guess we're dealing with someone who doesn't play well with others, eh? He smiles, then looks at Alex Brown aka Control. If you don't mind me asking, who's the CIA agent who spotted him? I ask because we might want to contact him at some future time to see if he's "remembered' anything he might have "forgotten." If you know what I mean. Chuckles

[OOC: I'm going to take a close look at the photo of François Balladur. I'm particularly interested in the paper he's reading. (Surveillance: 6)]

Do we have any contacts among the smugglers operating in the area that we might be able to pump for information? If he is working as a smuggler, even if it's just a cover for whatever nefarious deed he's concocting, he might have had contact with other criminal elements in the area.

Do you have a dossier on Captain N’gambe that we can study?

Is there a time constraint we have to function under?

Lot's of questions, I know. Call me curious. Alexander smiles pleasantly and openly.

Steel Ronin

First Post
Ken bowls a few games quietly by himself. No one should look that serious while bowling. You know Ken to be a Japanese American (standing approximately 5 feet 8 inches) with a stocky, muscular build. Dressed in blue jeans, combat boots, and a tight black T-shirt, the soldier seems quite at home in the selected meeting place. Most notable however, are his bleached blond flat top hair cut and small round mirror shades.

As soon as everyone begins to gather, Ken grabs his bottled water and takes a seat. Like the others, the soldier listens carefully to Control's comments. At Kim's humerous statement about an asian blending in with the locals in Binga, the Japanese American cracks a smile - the first of the evening. As if adding his own 2 cents to the joke, Ken rubs his hand over his bleached blond hair. His smile fades however as the questions begin. Remaining silent, the soldier sits patiently and listens.

GhostFox pipes in...

As Control gives the team the lowdown, the woman with the dark eyes looks at each of you with an intense gaze, beaming a smile that borders on the sardonic, as if trying to evaluate each one of the team members.

It's pretty much an African problem so far but isolated cases have shown up recently in some major metropolises including New York.
"Super-tuberculosis? And I thought *I* was bad news. But seriously, this 'African thing' is sad. It's always somebody else's problem... No one ever thinks it can happen to them until the corpses start piling up on their front lawn. And I guess this is where we comes in? To make sure that doesn't happen?"

The woman's eyes are a match for her brown hair. She is sporting a jean jacket, leather pants and a colorful top (which perhaps saw it roots in a fashion gala a few decades ago and recently having been resurrected at a thrift store).

"Any of you smokers? I hope not! And I hope everyone gets their med-shots."

"Does the Foundation have any ground assets in the mission area? Safehouse? Oh yeah - the one in Harare. How about a local snitch?"

"How about you folks? I don't suppose you have any old flames and jilted lovers that have a cafe or bar in Binga?

"Any other less-'cinematic' contacts but useful ones anyway?"

((OOC: I am finalising the details for my Fixer character and I will post it in the Rogues Gallery Real-Soon-Now(M). I'll be continuously editing that post for content and formatting so keep on the look out now.))

Tokiwong

First Post
Kim smiles to Ghostfox, "No, no jilted lovers... or ex-flames that I know of... and I have to admit I agree, Super Tuberculosis is a bad idea... natural or not." He leans back and thinks admiring the woman's form and her sardonic smile. His smile widens, "As far as a cover if we are working for the Red Cross, might have to brush up on my first-aid skills, maybe I can pass as Catholic priest... my Latin is rather impeccable... and I will not lie... I know next to nothing of actual medical oir first-aid techniques."

Last edited:

Remove ads