Squid Game - w/ Spoilers

Janx

Hero
We finished the 9 episode season on Netflix last night and I'm surprised a thread doesn't exist already because we're slow :)

Spoilers allowed. Just using the first post as advanced warning

What did y'all think of it?

TheSword

Legend
Loved it. Dystopian ideas, then you realize it isn’t a dystopia it’s the world we live in now.

Really good acting and utterly convincing. I thought it was very clever how they allowed them to leave and yet they came back knowing that they might die. Things were that bad for them. That made the participants at least complicit in what follows making the dynamic far more interesting than just kidnapped folks.

Good ending, liked the twist - hope they do a second series about the Front Man.

Janx

Hero
On ep1, we didn't like Gian Hu. Too impulsive and exaggerated. But ep2 kinda dialed that back and made him human.

It seemed odd that an organ harvesting ring could not only operate but have some level of mechanical integration with the Games via the drop-hatch in the furnace.

But then, the whole idea of a massive criminal organization like this working so flawlessly always stresses my belief.

Also not a fan of rich people who's solution to being bored is tinkering with poor people instead of playing in the games themselves or using their wealth to fix the problems of these people and maybe bet on how well that works or something.

Seems like gambling addiction is part of the problem here.

AOieiosle

Explorer
On ep1, we didn't like Gian Hu. Too impulsive and exaggerated. But ep2 kinda dialed that back and made him human.

It seemed odd that an organ harvesting ring could not only operate but have some level of mechanical integration with the Games via the drop-hatch in the furnace.

But then, the whole idea of a massive criminal organization like this working so flawlessly always stresses my belief.

Also not a fan of rich people who's solution to being bored is tinkering with poor people instead of playing in the games themselves or using their wealth to fix the problems of these people and maybe bet on how well that works or something.

Seems like gambling addiction is part of the problem here.
The outrageous scenarios are supposed to be entertaining and get you hooked on watching a critique of social inequality brought about by a constant desire for money.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I thought it was very clever how they allowed them to leave and yet they came back knowing that they might die. Things were that bad for them. That made the participants at least complicit in what follows making the dynamic far more interesting than just kidnapped folks.
That was a good twist on this retread of the Battle Royale/Hunger Games genre (not sure what to call it?).

Remove ads