SRD 3.5 Competition

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Re: My Version

Sage said:
…it's a massive 8 MB file.

Don't feel too bad, my 8 page fancy preview makes for an 2.8 meg Post Script file (formatting and all that, you know).:)

(Aint you glad Microsoft didn't invent Post Script?:p:D)

Dimwhit

Explorer
I wan't to make my contribution too. It's a tree outline thingy made in Maple Pro, so I guess it's in the miscellaneous group.

Hey Sage, sounds like it will be good, but the Maple reader isn't available for Mac. :(

There are plenty of judges on Windows, though, so no problems getting it into the competition.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I'm looking forward to the HTML version since I can use AvantGo to load it over to my Palm.

I hope I'm not repeating this, but I skimmed fast over the silly browser argument pages of this thread. :)

John

Sage

Explorer
Dimwhit said:

Hey Sage, sounds like it will be good

Thanks. :D

I was wondering, could you list the contestants please (and links to their files). As far as I can see there are only about 5 or so :(

Sage

Dimwhit

Explorer
I was wondering, could you list the contestants please (and links to their files). As far as I can see there are only about 5 or so

As far as I know, many of the contestants are waiting until the last day to post their files. Some are putting up rough drafts and samples, but I think only Reveal has posted his (at the beginning of this thread).

I honestly don't know how many people are going to enter, but it should be more than 5. With the prizes getting up there, the competition should be good. But some don't want to post until the last minute so that their ideas don't get swiped. :)

Sage

Explorer
Preview

Well, I said I'd removed the file, but I decided to put up a little part of it anyway, just like a lot of other people have done.

So if you go to http://ethereal-srd.tripod.com
you can download the spells section, which has all the spells (in individual entries) and magic rules in it.
The file is a tree outline thingy made in Maple Pro, so you need Maple Reader (which is a free program) to read it, but all the information is on the site.

enjoy :)

p.s. though it says that the file is 8 MB, that is the size of the whole thing, the spells section is only about 1.2 MB.

Last edited:

DaveStebbins

First Post
Re: Simplify the class tables?

Clint said:
I hate seeing those huge class tables (as beautiful as they are, Cergorach), same as I hate seeing them in the PHB. There are only three kinds of BAB (good, average, poor) and two kinds of saves (good, poor). I wish that one of these reformats (cough, Cergorach's) could just have a line under Hit Die that said BAB: -whatever- and Saves: -etc-. Those lines could be a link to the generic 3.1 table (p22 in the 3.5 PHB) showing what that means.
Thanks.
I have to agree with Conaill, I like the all-in-one table format, like the one Cergorach did up for the monk. Having all the information summarized on one table would be just the thing for me.

Just another opinion...
-Dave

Estlor

Explorer
Usurper said:
I've got Word 2000, and honestly, I don't think it's bad at page design at all. I think most people don't know about the textbox-in-the-header trick that lets you do repeating page borders and such. Once you've got that down, I don't see any reason it can't look as good as the others.

Making it look pretty in Word isn't a problem. It's getting to that point. Word does some pretty stupid things when you play with it. Some examples I've run across just in working on the SRD:

1. Brute force styles that have nothing to do with the style the source document used. If I want it to be header text, I'll make it header text. Stop trying to help me by making everything ugly.

2. Text box location wankiness. I drag the text box from where the bottom of the box rests on the bottom margin to where the top of the box is on the top margin. Word magically transports the box so that the upper left corner is on the upper left corner of the PHYSICAL page and will not let it be moved. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

3. The disappearing table. Highlight text before or after a table and sometimes you'll cut, delete, copy, or whatever command you're doing to the ENTIRE table itself. And never once did I select a part of the table. This happens with text boxes too.

4. Random text box rearrangement. For some of my things I'm doing text boxes on text boxes. I find I need more room so I enlarge the lower box, and now suddenly the box on top of it finds it's way down (or up, it depends) a page way off to the side beyond the physical page margin.

5. No resizes. Hold down ALT and resize those table columns. Oh wait, for some reason Word won't resize the ones in the psionics part of the SRD. Or ones you paste from Excel. Or movements less than 0.05 of an inch.

doktorstick

First Post
Be careful if you are using Word. It starts having serious problems beyond the 80 page count. I don't have experience with Office XP, but my understanding is that it has similar issues.

Cheers,
/ds

Remove ads