D&D 4E SRM Marking Marked and Other 4Eisms

sukael

First Post
olshanski said:
off the topic of the OP, but it is really quite funny when you throw a sleeping bugbear into a spiked pit trap (Reflex DC20), and the bugbear makes his save... :confused:

I'd say that bugbear was (appropriately, given the roll) just really lucky, and landed between two of the spikes.

(This is why you fill the bottom of spiked pit traps with acid, just in case!)

The_Fan

First Post
Right. Because hitting your friend and forcing them to attack you is a great way to go into combat. Your allies will be unable to attack the enemy and all of your abilities will be focused on PKing.

But your enemies won't be able to mark your team, which is what really counts.

I love how people are trying to find rules exploits before they're even published. Isn't it at all possible the designers have thought of this too?

Edit: It actually says so in the article? I need to reread that then. Still, I like to think the designers and playtesters are reasonable people who have run into these problems already.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The_Fan said:
Why is everyone assuming one mark will replace the previous one?

Personally I think it would make much more sense, be more balanced, and easier to rationalize if you could not mark a target who has already been marked.

While it's certainly not "the rules" - the phrase from the article is "a creature can be marked by only one opponent at a time and new marks supersede old marks" - which certainly seems to imply 1) you can mark an already marked creature 2) It replaces the existing mark.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
MaelStorm said:
THAT'S IT, you lost me! You have to make you own cards and print them, buy minis, buy magnetic base markers, buy tile maps, and those are just the accessories to play not counting the dice which is essential. Then you have to buy core books, buy splatbooks for players and monsters, buy adventure, buy campaign settings and their splats, buy... I don't have a big wallet. I don't mind the cinematic approach and I think the 4E system will be fun too. But I'm going to find something less expensive, I don't want minis, I want a purely mental game, where you have a sheet of paper and a few dice. Not this. I'm not a kid with tons of disposable income and D&D seems to take this approach too far. I'm switching for something else sorry WotC but I'm going to keep my money in my pocket.
Another converted to HaT uv 4e! At this rate it will only take a few centuries to displace WoTC and take over the D&D market ;)

On the serious end I'm fairly certain that I read in multiple places one comment after another that combat was being streamlined and the rough edges with the little fiddly bits filed off. Yet previews seem to be showing the exact opposite of that design philosophy. Was it just something Marketing kicked in because they knew it would be taken well?

Lizard

Explorer
The_Fan said:
Right. Because hitting your friend and forcing them to attack you is a great way to go into combat. Your allies will be unable to attack the enemy and all of your abilities will be focused on PKing.

Depends on the circumstances. Tossing a level 1 mark on your level 30 buddy to wipe out the level 30 mark the Arch Demon just threw on him might well make perfect sense.

Lizard

Explorer
HeavenShallBurn said:
Another converted to HaT uv 4e! At this rate it will only take a few centuries to displace WoTC and take over the D&D market ;)

On the serious end I'm fairly certain that I read in multiple places one comment after another that combat was being streamlined and the rough edges with the little fiddly bits filed off. Yet previews seem to be showing the exact opposite of that design philosophy. Was it just something Marketing kicked in because they knew it would be taken well?

Hey, all this cool crunch is eroding my hat of e4. I just wish they didn't keep wrapping Surprise Nuggets Of Stupid insider the Cool Crunch Enchilada.

Incenjucar

Legend
Lizard said:
Dice and legos, man. Dice and legos.

Or, if you really have to, a trip to the local craft store.

Seriously, there's some crazy weird stuff they sell at those things that you could use for a D&D game.

MaelStorm

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:

What is HaT uv 4E?

Remove ads