D&D 4E SRM Marking Marked and Other 4Eisms

eleran

First Post
Lizard said:
No, and I'm pleased it looks like they haven't. Even if have to learn a whole bunch more silly immersion breaking rules to replace the old silly immersion breaking rules we finally got used to. (Hey, WOTC apologists! Wanna explain to me how 'muscular action closes the hole'?)

I'll be glad to, once you bring me a Behir for vivisection.

MaelStorm

First Post
Incenjucar said:
Maelstorm: Dude, relax. Everything here can be done with paper cutouts or a paper and pencil. Some people just like to get more elaborate.

You're right. Sorry man, I freaked out.

I just needed more info on their roll-up plan for 4E. With the info released for D&D XP I was so relieved. Their starter kit had tokens and no minis, I was so relieved.

Hope anybody is not mad at me.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
AZRogue said:
Maybe the Mark will require an attack against a target's Will, but I don't think it's really necessary. The Mark isn't forcing the target to take any sort of action, it's merely a way to express that the Marked creature is aware that it's vulnerable to the threatening Defender in some way. It takes a penalty because it's keeping an eye out for that Defender. No attack vs. Will (there are no Will saves, remember?) isn't really needed, just as there's no attack vs. Reflex to initiate a Flank.

As long as the attacker truely is vulnerable in some way. but wouldn't marks (unless magical/divine) go away once the attacker steps out of threat range (or flys, or teleports, or shifts, or whatever). Why should a monster have a -2 to hit someone when the defender isn't in range to threaten.

Primal

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Helpless reduces your dex to 0, so the save is certainly harder. And you can't use evasion any more. But nothing forbids making reflex saves.

Maybe you toss in your sleep? Maybe it was your instinct that warned you and you woke up just in time to react partially to the danger? Or... the 4E explanation... you used your martial magic powers! :p

Brown Jenkin said:
As long as the attacker truely is vulnerable in some way. but wouldn't marks (unless magical/divine) go away once the attacker steps out of threat range (or flys, or teleports, or shifts, or whatever). Why should a monster have a -2 to hit someone when the defender isn't in range to threaten.
Possible. Though I guess trying to get away from someone that just marked you might warrant it's own reaction. (Fighter: Did I say attack someone else then me and take a penalty? I should have eloberated more and say "Attack someone else then me and take a penalty, or move away and get kicked in the groin" *bash* Err, I mean: "Roy smashes coward orc")

robertliguori

First Post
Lizard said:
Hey, WOTC apologists! Wanna explain to me how 'muscular action closes the hole'?

Really, I don't have a problem with it; it's simply accepted that certain macro-scale monsters have extraordinary abilities related to consumption, in the same way that dragons have extraordinary abilities related to flight and dietary requirements. Yes, that tyrannosaurus is partaking of the same mojo that lets high-level warriors fall 100' onto their heads and live. It's the nature of the universe. Were I of a philosophical bent, I might speculate that the gods apparently think it's neat for high-level adventurers to get occasionally eaten by giant beasts, and have arranged the world accordingly.

olshanski

First Post
Anyone design any splat-feats or spells yet:

Remarkable Foe: (Wiz9 Per Day ability)
Range: medium
Save: Will negates
SR: No
When you cast this on an opponent, that opponent becomes remarkable. Once marked, any subsequent marks do not overide previous marks, but rather stack.

Stainless: (Martial Feat)
You cannot be marked. Any marks slide off of you harmlessly.

hong

WotC's bitch
Lizard said:
No, and I'm pleased it looks like they haven't. Even if have to learn a whole bunch more silly immersion breaking rules to replace the old silly immersion breaking rules we finally got used to. (Hey, WOTC apologists! Wanna explain to me how 'muscular action closes the hole'?)
Er, via Hong's 2nd Law, of course. Is this a trick question?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
M&Ms make super monsters. Eat what you kill.
Peeps, you print out counter images and glue them to long toothpicks like flags. Then stick them in the peeps to show what the monster is. When it gets killed you eat the peep and lay the flag/picture down where it died so you don't loose track during the looting phase.

Kraydak

First Post
Well, we have (uncertain completeness) data on two marks. The paladin one contains no suggestion that the paladin need stay close to his target, costs only a minor action, and *HURTS* if the target doesn't attack the paladin. 8 damage if the target attacks (by my reading the target doesn't need to hit) is a higher damage output than the example fighter has once misses are taken into account.

The fighter's mark does require hitting the target, but hey, if you shift next to a fighter he can take a free attack against you. No one ever said he had to *use* his big weapon on it. The effect of the fighter's mark is fairly minor.

Remove ads