D&D 5E St. Patrick's Day Adventure Monster Suggestions

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
St. Patrick is supposed to have met Nessie. He must have been impressive as all get-out, since she has been hiding from the rest of us humans for generations now.

Start with Plesiosaur stats and give her a Swallow Whole ability. Your pirates might enter the realm of myth and legend.

And if Nessie swims by wriggling instead of using fins, she is the world's biggest sea snake !

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
St. Patrick is supposed to have met Nessie.
Is he? That's a new one!

Anyway, here's Nessie's stats:

I figure beating one hydra is like beating 9 snakes...

Also, don't forget to provide a magguffin that allows clerics and paladins to count snakes as undead for their turn abilities.

Jediking

Explorer
Are they detailed in Pathfinder or 13th Age, I know Ive seen them somewhere just cant remember where? Or are you referring to the Reddcape from the linked article?

They are in Volo's Guide to Monsters, pg 188
There is additional information for what happens when they bathe in demon ichor instead of blood, in Descent Into Avernus pg 240

They also carry a new simple melee weapon called a Wicked Sickle: 2d4 slashing, heavy, two-handed

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
St. Patrick is supposed to have met Nessie. He must have been impressive as all get-out, since she has been hiding from the rest of us humans for generations now.

Start with Plesiosaur stats and give her a Swallow Whole ability. Your pirates might enter the realm of myth and legend.

And if Nessie swims by wriggling instead of using fins, she is the world's biggest sea snake !

Loch Ness is in Scotland and that was St Columba not St Patrick (although Columba was Irish born)

Anyway the story is that while Columba was travelling through the lands of the Picts he came across a group of people burying a man by the River Ness who had been attacked by a “water beast” which had dragged him under the water. Columba sent his follower to swim across the river and when the beast came after him, Columba made the sign of the cross and ordered the beast to leave and the monster fled - which is why people dont see Nessie now

R_J_K75

Legend
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Prepping now for the game tonight. As they party is low level I'm going with a ton of snakes from the appendix in the Monster Manual and a Yuan-Ti Mind Whisperer from VGtM as a base premise for now. The players are going to be on a boat going from one port to another and as I'm not looking for anything too serious I'm totally ripping off 'Snakes on a Plane".

Remove ads