• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking BABs ... I thought I knew this...

chengarino

First Post
When a PC multi-classes, the PC addes his BABs. And, the primary BAB increases to a point where multiple attacks are possible, the PC gets those bonuses.

For example, a Cleric 7/Fighter 1 (BABs +5 for the cleric and +1 for the fighter) has a combined BAB of +6. With the standard multi-attack BAB progression leads this PC to a 'final' BAB of +6/+1.

There are only two exceptions to this rule.

1) Our DM says that Prestige class BAB only stacks with primary and does NOT enable PC BABs to gain multi-attack bonuses. As there isn't a PrC (maybe epic ones do) with a 'second' attack BAB, the PC never gains additional attack BAB bonus with PrCs. (I don't know where this rule is)

2) Monk unarmed BAB (uBAB) progression isn't at 5, but is at 3. Furthermore, non-Monk BAB does not affect uBAB: they are independent. As such, an OA class with uBAB would then affect the monk's uBAB. The multi-classed BAB affects the monk's BAB, but does not affect his uBAB. (PHB p. 55)

Did I misunderstand this?

chengarino

Destil

Explorer
chengarino said:
1) Our DM says that Prestige class BAB only stacks with primary and does NOT enable PC BABs to gain multi-attack bonuses. As there isn't a PrC (maybe epic ones do) with a 'second' attack BAB, the PC never gains additional attack BAB bonus with PrCs. (I don't know where this rule is)
Your DM is making it up.
2) Monk unarmed BAB (uBAB) progression isn't at 5, but is at 3. Furthermore, non-Monk BAB does not affect uBAB: they are independent. As such, an OA class with uBAB would then affect the monk's uBAB. The multi-classed BAB affects the monk's BAB, but does not affect his uBAB. (PHB p. 55)
Right.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Your DM, while having every right to change whatever rules he chooses, is wrong. Any time your BAB hits one of the breakpoints - 6, 11, 16 - you gain an extra iterative attack.

The +11/+6/+1 entry on the class tables is more a reminder of what happens with a single-classed character than anything else. A Ftr4/Rgr4/Pal4 gets three attacks at +12/+7/+2, despite not having reached a breakpoint on any individual table.

Similarly, a Ftr5/Fist of Hextor 1 gets two attacks at +6/+1.

Monks are screwy, but yes, you've basically got it right.

-Hyp.

Edit - maths.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Your DM possibly thinks that prestige class BAB does not add attacks because the BAB column only states the primary attack bonus.

However, the rules are pretty clear - When the BAB exceeds a multiple of 5, you gain a new attack, to a maximum of four attacks. Classes like the monk are an exception.

Edit - BAB, not rules.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This probably isn't too relevant to what you were saying, but since you vaguely mentioned something Epic in there, I just wanted to toss this out also.

After your PC acquires 20 character levels, he no longer gains a the class BAB progression. Instead, he just gains the generic bonus listed in the ELH. It's important to note that while this increase does count as BAB for all intents and purposes, you don't gain extra attacks from it. Your DM might have read this and gotten it confused with PrC's.

Remove ads