D&D 4E Stances in 4e? Wooopie!!!

Crashy75

First Post
So, I was reading this scoop and was intrigued by this:
Defensive Training: Level 6 - Utility Exploit
As long as you remain in this defensive stance, all your save rolls are enchanced by a +2 bonus.
I was disappointed when it seemed that stances were not going to make it into 4e. This does, however, look like an early draft. *crosses fingers* I hope this hasn't changed.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Crashy75 said:
So, I was reading this scoop and was intrigued by this:
I was disappointed when it seemed that stances were not going to make it into 4e. This does, however, look like an early draft. *crosses fingers* I hope this hasn't changed.
From the looks of it, stances aren't a separate mechanic like in the Bo9S, but certain powers with a duration of 'the encounter' are described as stances.

Alternatively, a stance might be maintained with a minor action, the way certain spells have a duration of "sustain minor" so that it takes a small but nontrivial amount of effort to keep up. It would be an elegant application of similar mechanics to stances and spell effects and heck, why not since exploits are the same as spells mechanically anyway.

tombowings

First Post
Magus Coeruleus said:
Alternatively, a stance might be maintained with a minor action, the way certain spells have a duration of "sustain minor" so that it takes a small but nontrivial amount of effort to keep up. It would be an elegant application of similar mechanics to stances and spell effects and heck, why not since exploits are the same as spells mechanically anyway.

I really hope this is what they ended up doing.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Magus Coeruleus said:
Yes, please! Would give the martial dudes something for their minor action and is easily implemented!

Cheers, LT.

HeinorNY

First Post
Shouldn't be +2 to Reflex or AC? I mean, you are in a defensive martial stance, and it won't help you against melee attacks but will help you against Sleep spells? :confused:

vulsuck

First Post
ainatan said:
Shouldn't be +2 to Reflex or AC? I mean, you are in a defensive martial stance, and it won't help you against melee attacks but will help you against Sleep spells? :confused:

If a fighter has any willpower at all (and he does) I see no reason why he cannot enhance it through concentration just as he might enhance his reflexes.

The Little Raven

First Post
vulsuck said:
If a fighter has any willpower at all (and he does) I see no reason why he cannot enhance it through concentration just as he might enhance his reflexes.

Martial training involves the mind almost as much as it does the body.

Stalker0

Legend
Further saving throws include a lot of effects, from waking up from that sleep spell to throwing off the caustic acid the black dragon just bathed you in.

Remove ads