• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Frontiers to D20/ D20M?

Neo

Explorer
slingbld said:
Someone posted this on the Wizards MB.

http://www.angelfire.com/games/Alterniverse/dragonstar/DSStarFrontierRaces.pdf

It's a conversion of the SF races to DragonStar. Maybe a good starting point for our little conversion?

Those would be my conversions I did for use with Dragonstar, those particular ones are hosted on my friend Brutorz Bill's site, but you can find them and many other conversions on my own site these days (URL in my sig).

slingbld

Explorer
Neo said:
Those would be my conversions I did for use with Dragonstar, those particular ones are hosted on my friend Brutorz Bill's site, but you can find them and many other conversions on my own site these days (URL in my sig).

Love your work Neo!!

Have you worked on converting any other elements of Star Frontiers?

Neo

Explorer
slingbld said:
Love your work

Have you worked on converting any other elements of Star Frontiers?

I only did the standard races for conversion as I wanted to expand upon the race choice people had at the time. I'd done the alternity races and was working through the Gennies from Buck Rogers etc..
With regards to most other facets of Star Frontiers I think you'd be faced with essentially recreating the whole game into some form from the ground up. There is no easy conversion method for the rest of the games aspects.

It would probably work easiest in D20 Modern form I think, do the classes as Advanced Classes rather than doing them as full 20 level core classes as per standard d20.

BSF

Explorer
Neo, I think you have done a pretty good job capturing race flavor. However, all of them have LA, which will make them difficult to play in a beginning game. I think I might have another shot at them and see if I can get them down to 0 LA.

Neo

Explorer
BardStephenFox said:
Neo, I think you have done a pretty good job capturing race flavor. However, all of them have LA, which will make them difficult to play in a beginning game. I think I might have another shot at them and see if I can get them down to 0 LA.

LA isnt really an issue, the trouble with conversions as opposed to creations is that the things the races have and can do are already laid out.. so its a simple matter of laiying it out and adding up the cost (savage Species is helpful for determining that). whereas with creating things from scratch you can put as much or as little as you like in, in order to get the LA you want.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see someone elses take on them, Ill look forward to seeing them :)

Eeralai

First Post
Agreed! And something that might have been "balanced" in Star Frontiers mechanics might not be balanced in d20 mechanics. It will take a little thought sorting for me. :)

Doh! My wife logged me out and logged in herself, but didn't close this window. When I replied, it replied as her.

BardStephenFox is to Eeralai
as
Piratecat is to KidCthulhu

;)

Last edited:

RodneyThompson

First Post
Krieg said:
Anyone want to bet that D20 Future will have at least some "modernized" SF material in it (in addition to a ton of recycled Alternity filler).

I wouldn't say a "ton" of recycled Alternity filler. Alternity stuff is mentioned, but it by no means is heaped on. Believe me, we were tight for words on this book so don't expect a lot of setting info carried over from other games.

Krieg

First Post
Moridin said:
I wouldn't say a "ton" of recycled Alternity filler. Alternity stuff is mentioned, but it by no means is heaped on. Believe me, we were tight for words on this book so don't expect a lot of setting info carried over from other games.

FWIW it wasn't meant to disparage as I've always been an Alternity fan.

Hasbro is lucky, they have a pretty deep well of OOP products to draw from and there's no reason why they shouldn't take advantage of it.

:)

slingbld

Explorer
I am realy considering holding off trying to dive too far into conversion until D20F comes out. I'd be beating myself senseless if we poured a ton of time into this only to have an "official" sample setting being SF. Or having it show up in Dungeon/Polyhedron as a mini game.....

I'll still look into some conversions though :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads