Star Wars - A New Power Ch. 24 - Departure

Angcuru

First Post
14 - Preparation

Jaess sits back in her chair as she watches the briefing, setting down the holoprojector she holds and conforming herself to the uncomfortable chair as she observes the holovid. A hyperdrive like that could not only turn the tide of the battle, it could make Inter-Galactic travel a day to day occurrence.

"This is an Infiltration/Extraction operation, with emphasis on the extraction of plans and destruction of any prototypes they may be in the possession of the Empire, Commander?" Jaess looks up at him from her seat, wondering how many kilos of explosives she'll be required to lug around in the field.

"We don't know if the Empire is in possession of the drive yet. They won't arrive in this new system for at least a day, according to our most recent schematics of the Interdictor and her companion ships." Bosch replied, turning to face Jaess. He examined her for a moment for continuing.

"We honestly have no idea what you should expect when you arrive. It is almost certain that the Empire has sent in advance ships into the system to scout it out before the Interdictor's arrival." He motioned over the assembled team. "You will serve a similar purpose: Covert reconnaissance, Intelligence gathering, and if possible, Extraction."

Bosch picked up the remote again, and the holo flickered to life, displaying the familiar image of an Imperial Lambda-Class Shuttle. "You will be taking this ship into the new system, under the guise of a team of surveyors taking readings in preparation for logistics operations." The holo highlighted a group of six small sensor domes not typical of normal Lambdas, two at the center of each wing. "They have been calibrated to search only for the distress beacon and the supposed hyperdrive.

”Once you have located the hyperdrive and hopefully any survivors from the Dawnsprinter, you are to retrieve them if they are not already in the Empire's possession. If the Empire has already located taken them, you are to attempt retrieval operations if you judge possible. If you judge that you cannot retrieve the hyperdrive, your orders are to attempt to destroy it, and rescue the Dawnsprinter's crew if you can. Sufficient demolitions material is in the shuttle's storage. Upon completion or failure of mission objectives, you are to return here for debriefing."

The old patina stained droid with the empty photoreceptor socket watches Bosch's presentation without comment temporarily ignoring the fact that the Commander sidestepped offering the droid an apology or an answer to its last question. When he is done describing what it is he wants of the team he's assembled, R-LE-1 finally offers its opinion: "Your report fails to clarify several key points; who was crewing the Dawnsprinter when it left Ord Mirrit, why did it 'blast out' of the starport and why were rebel forces aware or interested in that seemingly minor local event at the time?"

"It is standard Imperial procedure when detecting a distress beacon to identify the ship is was jettisoned from and trace the ship back to its most recent point of departure. We simply had to monitor Imperial frequencies to pick up this information." Bosch replied to the droid. "Unfortunately, our trace was quickly detected and we could find no further information regarding the ship and its crew than has already been imparted to you."

R-LE-1 pauses momentarily to examine the listeners just as it watched Bosch do a few moments ago before continuing: “Although the existence of such a revolutionary hyperdrive design is intriguing, I must point out that such a sudden leap in space faring technology is all but unprecedented in recorded history. There are other possible and more likely explanations for the transmission of a distress signal from an escape pod in an uncharted region of wild space. Perhaps the signal was purposefully faked. Perhaps the Dawnsprinter's escape pod was jettisoned in that area long ago and its distress transmitter was only recently activated. Although more unlikely, it is also conceivable that the Dawnsprinter, if it did traverse the distance in so short a time, did not do so under its own power. The detection of a gravitational well may in fact indicate the presence of an unidentified gravitational anomaly which somehow pulled the vessel to that location via a spacial fold. How did rebel intelligence reach the conclusion that the Dawnsprinter itself is actually in the vicinity of the point of origin of this transmission and that it reached that area with a previously unknown hyperdrive engine design?"

"Likewise," Bosch added with a hint of a smile at Arlee as he turned on the Holo again to display the recent star map of the galaxy, "your analysis of the situation is exemplary. It is extremely unlikely our analysts' hypothesis of an extraordinarily advanced drive is correct, but we must be prepared for that contingency. It is equally unlikely that the Dawnsprinter instead suffered a critical error in astrogation and collided with a solar gravity mass, and instead of being vaporized, skipped off the gravity well towards another mass at hyper-accelerated speed, repeating this process upwards of a dozen times before coming to rest at it's present location." Bosch laid out a line connecting Ord Mirrit to Vortex to Carratos to Arkania to Caamas and so on until the line stopped somewhere in wild space not far from the Endor system, resembling the path of an out of control pinball more than anything else.

"Of course, there are many more alternate explanations, but we must be prepared for the worse, hence the mission you are to undertake." Bosch turned off the holo again. "Now, we are short on time. Your shuttle is nearly ready for takeoff, so if there are any additional supplies or armaments you think you may need, request them now. The same goes for more questions."

Jaess stands up, leaning over the table slightly as she watches the Dawnsprinter get bounced around like a bumper car. "Sir," she begins, looking up at Bosch as he turns off the holoprojector, "I'll need to retrieve my weapons from my quarters, and if I can requisition freely, I'd like to request some form of vision enhancement and a silenced slug thrower with ammunition, if you have any free to deploy. Blasters aren't exactly what I'd call subtle. I'll also need some means of safely going EV if we're planning to board a possibly damaged ship. We may also need medical supplies and restraints for any survivors or prisoners. I'm assuming you wouldn't mind any prisoners, sir," she grins confidently.
"Also, like the droid said, having on file who we should expect to find on the Dawnsprinter, or at least who we're likely to find, would be terribly useful. I'd like as few surprises as possible on this operation."

"Good choices, Jaess." Bosch said. "I'll have someone retrieve your equipment for you in addition to the items you requested. We've already taken into account the possibility that inter-craft vacuum travel will be necessary, so there are three protective environmental containment suits in the shuttle's hold if you need them."

"I wish that we had more information on the Dawnsprinter's crew, but the Empire has wiped that information from the Holonet, and they've doubled the encryption on that particular coded channel. Any further searching on our part would likely give away what you're going to do. Too much risk for too little benefit."

Jaess hides her grimace at the thought of people going through her belongings and nods to the Commander. "Thank you, sir. I understand. If there's nothing else you think I may need, I'm ready to go."

Jaess slips the T.R.A.P. holoprojector into her clothing, wishing that she could blow it out an airlock and be free of it's annoyance. At least it and the droid would be useful in recovering the hyperdrive, if it existed. The LE unit could probably give suggestions for the best places to plant explosives, too. Hopefully things would be looking up, and she'd be back in the thick of things in a flash- where she belonged.

Wish I could make a stop in the armory myself, she mused, I'd love a credit-free shopping trip for military hardware. Pity I'll have to give all those things back. Glad I managed to keep tabs on some of my gear from before. These Rebels are stingy!

The patina stained droid watches the exchange between the humans politely waiting for the Commander's attention to return to it before speaking again: "As to questions, there yet remains one that you've avoided answering thus far; why should I seek to help you who have authorized your subordinates to launch attacks both physical and mental against me?"

Bosch regarded Arlee impassively for a moment before speaking, likely unused to explaining himself to a droid. "I authorized my subordinates to do no more to you than would be normal for any operative. Like I said, my orders were misinterpreted. I requested that you be supplied with the T.R.A.P. As we know, they interpreted that request by modifying your briefing chip to introduce the T.R.A.P. directly into your systems without your consent. You are the first droid to be assigned to such a mission, so they reacted as they would to any other droid. I apologize to you on their behalf for this conduct."

The grizzled commander looks over the empty photoreceptor socket. "It is standard procedure when operatives enter the briefing room to have all objects and/or systems capable of transmission or recording of data temporarily disabled. Had Jaess been carrying a device capable of recording or transmitting the contents of the briefing, it would have been affected in the same manner as your systems have been. You will find that when you exit this room, all of your affected systems will be restored to full functionality. This was not an attack, but a security precaution."

"As for why you should participate in this mission...I believe I have explained that the situation you experienced was due to miscommunication, not hostile intent. If you still bear mistrust towards me, they don't help me, help the Alliance."

"I must admit that I cannot easily accept your assigning blame to your subordinates considering that you have already lied to place the blame for your conduct on your superiors. Your lack of honesty likewise creates doubts as to the veracity of everything else you've told us concerning the mission. Still, the goals of the Alliance are laudable and should not be allowed to be subverted by one individual. I should point out however that if you'd indicated your desire that my transmission or recording components be disabled during the briefing you would have had only to ask and I would have removed them" The patina stained droid gestures to the components lying on the holoprojector's edge. "Also, your security measures remain inadequate since I retain a complete transcript of what has been said during the briefing in my data-banks."

"That being said, I will accept your explanation for now and agree to pursue this mission for the benefit of the Alliance but I will require some concessions. First, I will require that all data pertaining to the T.R.A.P.'s program architecture be made available to me before our departure. Second, I will require all data pertaining to the unidentified ionized molecular compound used to disable some of my systems and the targeting and delivery mechanism used before our departure. Third, I will require an official acknowledgement of my status as a free and independent sentient being within the Alliance and of any government that it will later participate in forming upon my return."

"You will have as much time as you wish to examine the T.R.A.P.'s architecture, as there is a copy of it in the Holoprojector Jaess now carries. Likewise, the data concerning the disabling system is stored within the T.R.A.P.'s databanks, to be retrieved at your leisure. As for your last request, it is not within my power to grant. I will discuss the matter with my superiors, but bear in mind that such a thing is completely unprecedented." Bosch stated.

The patina stained droid continues to stare impassively at the human as he explains his position, finally speaking in its male-modulated voice once he's finished: "I'm sorry but you are incorrect. Although rare, there are many accounts of free-willed and independent droids throughout recorded history. Also it is not a request. I'm sorry, but this concession is not negotiable. Although I leave it in your capable hands to ensure that it is carried out by the time I return, I require your word that it will be done before we depart. Otherwise, you see, I will have little reason to return here with or without your hyperdrive engine."

R-LE-1 pauses to let that information sink in before continuing: "As far as required equipment and munitions are concerned, I would suggest that if the Dawnsprinter is in fact at the aforementioned coordinates and not destroyed that it may be possible to repair whatever damage it has suffered. It may be prudent to load the cargo bay of our shuttle with an assortment of replacement components for the Dawnsprinter’s vessel type and theoretical hyperdrive engine. I possess extensive schematics and data files for over 5000 starship configurations and will be able to supply ship's stores with a list of the most likely key components to have been damaged and/or rendered inoperative aboard the Dawnsprinter. Also, for myself, I would ask for two portable explosive grenade that I might use as a final fail-safe should I be captured by the Empire as well as two data chips upon which I can back-up my consciousness should I fail to return intact."

"Very well, you have my word that I will do my utmost to convince my superiors to grant you status on par with an organic sentient under our law. But keep in mind that those who have the power to affect this decision may not be so keen, and their attitude towards your request may likely hinge on your performance during this mission." Bosch said. "As for the grenades and data chips, you will find them amongst the supplies in the shuttle's hold. We anticipated the possibility that you may need to arm those you intend to rescue should the situation go ill, and have loaded sufficient armaments onboard. Replacement parts for the Dawnsprinter, however, could not be obtained in time."

A beep sounded from the holo, and the image of a Sullustan in the uniform of a Rebel technician appeared. "All cargo and equipment has been loaded on board the shuttle, sir. Fueling should be finished by the time the operatives arrive in the Docking Bay 3."

"Very well." Bosch replied. He exchanged a salute with the holographic technician, which then dissipated before he turned back to face Arlee and Jaess. "You depart at once. I suggest you hurry, as there is little time to spare. Docking bay three should be two stops down on the turbolift at the end of the hall." Bosch stepped back and threw a quick salute, wished them luck, and exited the room.

As the odd pair of operatives entered the 'clean' room the odd 'scanning' machine moved over them again, more quickly than before. Arlee detected the ionizing element being lifted from his affected systems, and then the scan was complete. Jaess and Arlee exited into the hall, at the end of which the turbolift could be seen, and the door slid shut behind them.

As is proper for a droid, R-LE-1 merely waits unmoving in the clean room for the organic occupant, Jaess, to exit first. R-LE-1 watches the small human female stride out of the room and then falls into step behind her, its servo-motors humming and metallic toes clicking softly on the deck plating with each step. The patina stained droid once again maintains the two meters of distance between them that its interpersonal protocols dictate as necessary to maintain an organic's delicate sense of personal space. R-LE-1 keeps its sensors trained on the woman while the pair awaits the lift.

Cognitive Processing.
Emotive Node: Pleasure 44.3%; Concern 29.7%; Anxiety 25.9%.
Datum: Jaess Talori has demonstrated behavior indicative of anxiety in responsive to my actions.
Datum: Jaess Talori is a Covert Operative skilled in hand to hand combat and evasion.
Proposition: Jaess Talori is anxious and nervous due to her training and experience.
Proposition: Jaess Talori is anxious and nervous in the presence of droids.
Proposition: Jaess Talori dislikes me.
Proposition: Cooperation and trust between operatives is necessary for the successful
completion of a mission.
Proposition: I must endeavor to engender trust between Jaess Talori and myself.
Upload data to vocabulator buffer 12A.
Open starboard tool bay and deploy power calibrator.

Having witnessed how nervous and anxious the female appears to be in its presence, R-LE-1 refrains from making any quick motions. As the odd pair awaits the lift doors to open, the droid turns to face the human female with the empty hole in its faceplate and addresses Jaess directly for the first time: "I must now verify, replace and reinitialize my previously ionized components. Please do not be alarmed ma'am."

A soft whir and click can be heard in the quiet companionway as the repair droid's right leg opens up to reveal a small compartment with a circular rack of tools inside. Within seconds, the rack spins, stops and extends a small tool which R-LE-1 picks up with its right hand. It connects this tool to the computer hookup cable at its left hip and then points the tool at the components it carries in its left hand; a soft humming sound issues from the tool.

Cognitive Processing.
Execute diagnostic.
Working.
System diagnostic indicates negligible levels of ionization of primary and secondary
broadband transmission arrays and primary telescopic/holographic photoreceptor.

When the lift doors open R-LE-1 waits for Jaess to enter first and then shuffles in itself turning to face the control panel. R-LE-1 replaces the tool in its hand into its slot, disconnects the computer hookup cable, reaches forward and connects it to the small computer port below the main panel. A gentle hum can be heard as the port begins to spin slowly, indicating the droid has successfully linked to the Reliant's computer network. R-LE begins to access the ship's computer to ascertain the vessel's current speed and heading to confirm the Reliant's position, ensuring that its astrogation calculations will prove accurate once the pair are ready to enter hyperspace aboard their shuttle.

Datum: Current galactic coordinates of the Reliant are X=285.23; Y=483.23; Z=308.34.
Datum: Current galactic coordinates of the gravity well are X=373.45; Y=834.38; Z=923.25.
Datum: Lambda class shuttle, Sienar Fleet Systems, 20 meters long
Execute hyperspace entry threshold calculation algorithm.
Processing...
Hyperspace entry threshold = 234876.42352397648183 QUC.
Execute hyperspace entry vector.
Processing...
Hyperspace entry vector = 238.324030225º mark 124.423438234º
Search archival memory for all charted gravitational shadows.
Processing...
48,375 known gravitational shadows of 0.003+ G-forces.
Execute hyperspace flight-path projection algorithm.
Processing...
Processing...
Processing...

With its right hand now free, R-LE-1 begins to replace its head mounted sensors. Quickly its old patina stained hands begin manipulating its parts deftly and quickly as cables and wires are reattached, fittings are adjusted and fasteners are tightened once more.

Cognitive Processing.
Re-initialize sensors.
• Photoreceptor acuity at 98.2% of system benchmark.
• Holographic-receptor acuity at 95.9% of system benchmark.
• Infrared-receptor acuity at 97.1% of system benchmark.
• Transceiver array efficiency at 99.2% of system benchmark.
Emotive Node: Pleasure 70.3%; Concern 29.7%.

Arching an eyebrow incredulously, Jaess regards the droid for a brief moment before looking back at the turbolift doors. That droid's been all through this ship's secured files, she thinks to herself, returning her gaze to the patina stained droid.

"So what have your searches turned up about me?" she asks as the LE unit.

Without stopping its work or turning its head to look at her, R-LE-1 answers: "As a covert operative your personnel file is restricted to command officers of Beta clearance or higher. Since I had been previously asked to refrain from accessing restricted files and am not currently a command officer with Beta clearance I thought it best to limit my information gathering to your name, race and passenger status. The data chip Lieutenant Antilles gave me possessed a brief outline of your skill set as a covert operative specializing in unarmed combat, stealth, and assassination as well as a mention of your background as a former imperial operative aboard the ICS Interdictor. Would you care to add anything about yourself that may aid me to serve you?"

"I'll let you know if I think of anything," she replies, trying hard not to sound too sarcastic, taking the droid who asked for independence’s reference to servitude as either an attempt at dry humor.

As it waits for the lift to stop, R-LE-1 mentally reviews the current duty roster of droids on the Reliant's repair/maintenance crew. With its communications array now reattached and operational the repair droid transmits a binary message, via comlink, to an astromech friend of his that is currently unassigned: "R3-L7, if your duties permit, may I request that you please join me in docking bay three immediately? I would appreciate your help on a complex hyperspace transit locus."

The turbolift slows and the doors slide open to reveal a docking bay completely bare save for a humble Lambda shuttle sitting in the center of the room. Several crates are still not yet loaded on board, and sit near the end of the shuttle's loading ramp. At every visible entrance, at least two armed guards stand watch, keeping a careful eye out for anything suspicious. The door of the lift had hardly opened when two blaster rifles were pointed at the both of them. Jaess’s hand glides down to the empty holster at her hip, and back up into an uneasy salute as the guards do the same. She steps out of the turbolift, slightly jittery at the thought that people dressed and armed like that would have shot at her a year before. Switching sides is hell on your nerves, she muses, trying to calm herself down.

R-LE-1 watches its fellow operative salute the guards and briskly walk off towards the shuttle without glancing back at them or it. In turn, R-LE takes a half step forward, doesn't bother returning the salute but instead addresses the two guards: "I commend your vigilance. Please be aware that I have asked an astromech droid, R3-L7, to come here to confer with me. It should be arriving shortly. Please inform your fellow guards to ensure that it is not detained unnecessarily." R-LE-1 turns its single large photoreceptor to regard both guards briefly and then, continues: "Please, may I inquire as to the location of the on-duty deck officer?"

"The deck officer should be onboard the shuttle doing an inventory of your cargo, R-LE-1." Says the guard on the left. The other guard remains silent, but nods.

Arlee detects the faint sound of a vaccuum tube as a small chute opens up near the turbolift doors, ejecting a yellow R3 unit a little too forcefully. It gives an electronic yelp as it falls over into its side, and then beeps and chirps in annoyance as a mechanical arm pops out of a hatch and pushes it upright.

The patina stained droid walks towards the astromech, its metal toes clicking softly on the deck plating with each step. With but a thought R-LE switches its vocabulator from the languid basic language it had been using to a high-baud rate binary language more appropriate to information exchange amongst droids. R-LE-1 addresses the yellow droid in a series of low-pitched chirps and buzzes; "Thank you for coming so quickly my friend. Please be patient with the organics; a situation has recently arisen that necessitated unusual security precautions be taken in docking bay three. It's likely that all routine maintenance and repair work on this level has been temporarily delayed. I'm sure normal operations will resume once this shuttle has departed and the astromech transport tube will be fixed right away."

The patina stained droid places a hand gently on the back of R3's lamp-shade shaped head to direct his attention to the tri-wing shuttle at the center of the bay as he begins guiding the astromech towards it. "Speaking of which, I have been asked to pilot this vessel on a secret mission on behalf of the Rebel Alliance. Speed is of the utmost importance in this mission. The destination is in uncharted system deep in wild-space and I would appreciate your assistance in calculating the hyperspace transit locus to ensure the shortest travel time possible. I've already begun work on the code..."

Hurriedly getting on board the shuttle, Jaess finds her personal equipment onboard the shuttle in a locked plasteel container, opened via biometric fingerprint scan, and a small package containing her requisitioned equipment inside. After ducking behind a few crates, she is able to change into her Shadowsuit in relative privacy. She puts on all but the mask, feeling calmer and more confident, less naked, wearing it.

Upon standing back up however, she hears a quick intake of breath and finds herself being stared at by a middle-aged man who was looking over the crates, checking them off on a small datapad. He looks at her for a moment, his hand straying towards a small blaster on his thigh as he taps and glances at the screen of the pad, then relaxing.

"Miss Talori, you gave me quite a fright for a moment there. Didn't see you behind those crates when I came on board." He cleared his throat, and Jaess notices his eyes training a bit lower than her own for a brief moment. "I trust that all your equipment is present and accounted for?"

Jaess pulls her clothing back on over the shadowsuit, watching the deck officer watch her.
"It all seems to be here, yes," she states flatly, hopefully drawing his attention back upwards, annoyed by the man's wandering eyes but used to that sort of attention since her appearance had been altered by Alliance surgeons.
"You got it down here quick. Thanks," she says, stepping out from behind the crates she was using for cover and the distance between the two of them. "Do you have a spare copy of the cargo manifest?" she asks, continuing, "I'd like to review it before we depart." The clicking of metal toes brings her attention to the LE unit ambling up the access ramp.

"Of course." The officer responds to Jaess. "I just finished triple-checking the manifest, and everything is on board and accounted for except for....ah, the explosives haven't been brought in from the munitions hold yet. I'll get right on that." He opens up and rummages around in one of the plasteel storage cylinders labeled 'Data Storage' from which R-LE-1 had recently procured several data chips, and pulls out a Datapad. This is quickly linked to his own, and after a few taps on the screen, he unlinks and hands it to Jaess.

"We've got company," she whispers, gesturing behind the deck officer at the two droids moving towards them up the loading ramp.

"Hello again miss Talori. Sir. I am R-LE-1 and this is my friend R3-L7. He is helping me with the astrogation calculations for our flight." Once the patina stained droid locates the data chips he requisitioned, he picks them up and attaches one to his hip mounted scomp-link without pausing. While he continues to talk, begins encrypting, compressing and downloading all his memory files and personality algorithms. "Sir, since this vessel would be recognized as Imperial property on sight I would be curious to learn when and under what circumstances it was first acquired by the Alliance. This information may prove crucial to our mission." The patina stained droid pauses and tilts its head in an inquisitive manner. "Also, does it currently have a name?

At Arlee's inquiry, he reveals a slight smile. "I'm glad you asked. If you'll follow me, please..." He exits the shuttle and points out the sphere/dome structures added to the shuttle's wings. "The Empire has been steadily losing its supply routes due to our activities in the Mid and Outer Rim sectors. Industrial materials, foodstuffs, munitions components, all the necessities are now in short supply for their fleets in these areas. So, they've begun to search out new sources of raw materials in asteroid belts and the like for new logistical routes, but they didn't have enough time or resources to design a ship specifically for the task. Thus, they began modifying existing ships, namely shuttles and transports, refitting them for additional sensory equipment.

"We very luckily obtained this one just a few hours ago when it dropped out of hyperspace not 50 clicks from this very station and the pilots began broadcasting their intent to defect. Apparently they were sent to this new star system you are to investigate, putting their sensory ability towards finding that spiffy hyperdrive the higher ups reckon is around there. They thought differently, of course. Said they were planning to desert soon anyway, and figured they'd give us a gift while they were at it. Truth serum confirmed this, naturally. So you're essentially going to be flying a ship that the Imperials still think is theirs, on a mission they started, but for the Alliance's benefit instead." He gave them a toothy grin. "Crazy galaxy, isn't it? The ID Code is Deepscan 39. Well, I should be back shortly, got to go get those explosives. Let me know if you find that I've overlooked something." And with that, he heads towards the turbolift, pulls out a comlink, and begins berating the hapless munitions officer on the other end. Loudly.

Without looking up to Arley from the crate she sits on, Jaess says, "I don't buy it. The ISB keeps tabs on suspected traitors, and if they thought for a moment that they could lose a starship they put this much effort into..." she trails off, looking up at Arley. "It's probably bugged like you wouldn't believe, or sabotaged, or something. And it'll be well hidden, too." She stands up, looking around the hold of the ship for a moment. "You might want to check it out. If this ship has been in Alliance hands for less than a day, I don't trust it one whit."

The repair droid turns to face the human woman with its single photoreceptor. "I was just about to confer with R3-L7 about the probability of such a series of events taking place in so short a time. Anything is possible. It is possible however that this is another deception by Commander Bosch or this Alliance's administration."

Jaess looks surprised, regarding the droid in silence for a moment before asking, "Do you really think the Alliance would go through all this trouble for a setup? The Empire, sure, but the Alliance isn't well organized enough to pull off something so complex. Unless," she lets the statement hang for a moment before adding, "You think we're being lied to."

Without pausing the patina stained droid replies flatly; "I've already been lied to and attacked repeatedly today. If this is a deception it remains unclear however whose it is and what is to be gained from it. Bosch's theory that the Dawnsprinter traversed the galaxy in less than two days by means of an experimental new hyperdrive is, as I have said, improbable though not impossible. The assertion that Imperial operatives en route to search for the Dawnsprinter decided to defect and deliver this vessel for the Alliance's use in our own search for the Dawnsprinter is also improbable, though not impossible."

"Improbable things happen all the time, and I can't think of a reason for the Alliance to be lying to us. It might be a double agent within their ranks. The ISB would go through all the hoops they have to get me back, but I don't see how a droid would fit into that sort of plan."

"All things are possible within the infinity of the Code. With the data we currently have available however I am unable to envision anything to be gained by either faction. The empire may have faked the Dawnsprinter’s distress signal and then sent a vessel to the Alliance with suspected defectors aboard but to what end? The Empire would have risked more by granting the Alliance one of their vessels with its technology then they could have gained by retrieving two Alliance operatives. Even if they could have ensure which Alliance operatives would be sent in search of the Dawnsprinter it would be a very small gain for such a large risk. I am of little consequence to the Empire and you have already communicated what information you had about the Empire and its operations to the Rebel Alliance."

While speaking, R-LE-1 steps around the hatch to the vessel's helm. With it's scomp-link currently occupied with the datachip download, the old droid resorts to manually manipulating the ship's controls. Being programmed with data pertaining to thousands of space transport configurations Arley has no difficulty in using the Deepscan's controls, its fingers becoming a blur as it begins activating the ship's systems, engines and NAV computer.

"The Alliance likewise has little to gain in lying to us for if there is something aside from what we've been briefed about in this region we will be unprepared to encounter it and our possible reactions extremely difficult to predict. Without being certain of how we'd react then why send us while placing a valuable vessel at risk?" The patina stained droid's hands pause over the controls. "If neither faction could accurately predict the outcome of this deception then there is little to gain for either. The empire could possibly regain their vessel along with a unknown number of likely unknown Alliance operatives of uncertain tactical value. The Alliance risks loosing its valuable vessel with the certainty of whoever is aboard. With the available data neither of these outcomes seems to benefit either group significantly. That aside, it is odd that our briefing neglected to include such information as the identity of the Dawnsprinter’s crew or why we may need to arm them, how this vessel was acquired, who its crew was, where they are now, and other pertinent details. It is possible however that Commander Bosch intended all of that information to be provided to me by the T.R.A.P. Regardless, I will deactivate the unit and access its databanks directly while in transit.""

Jaess nods, wondering what code the LE unit is talking about. She searches the wall panels near the front of the ship, Arley's observations making sense and calming her nerves a little. The assistance of the R3 unit is appreciated, though she makes no effort to thank the droid.

"If there is something afoot, it is certanly strange. I know some people in the ISB who'd go through all this trouble and risk losing this ship just for a chance to get at me, but they're individuals and don't have the reach the Empire as a whole commands," she admits, thinking back to her former superior and mentor stationed on the ICS Interdictor. "Even without it, though, consiterable resources can be, and are, spent in the frivilous persuits of Imperial Officers' affairs. And we wouldn't have much warning if that were the case." She sighs, shaking her head. "I'm not saying it's probable, merely not improbable enough."

Jaess stands up, putting the datapad down on the crate she was sitting on. "I'm going to search around, but I don't expect to find much of anything. I think you should look, too. You might want to check the computers aboard for anything unusual. Beacons, easily detectable energy discharges concealed recording devices, anything odd. If this is an ISB trap, they probably already know we're suspicious."

"R3, could you please help Operative Talori to search for any unusual technology aboard? Thank you." R-LE-1 returns to the controls, inputting his astrogation calculations into the NAV computer.

R3-L7 putts alongside Jaess, humming electronically as it runs its sensors over the internal plating, systems and decking. After several minutes of searching, they find nothing of interest. As the trashcan-shaped droid passes by Arlee and the control console, it lets out a digitized wail and rams its comp-interface rod right into an input socket. After a few quick moments, it withdraws the arm and gives Arlee a slight shock to his foot with a small prodding device while twittering madly.

R-LE-1 turns to regard the yellow astromech and chirps and buzzes in response; "Thank you R3-L7. Your assistance has of course been invaluable. Now I'm afraid I must ask you another favor." The patina stained droid removes the data chip from its hip and holds it out where R7 can grasp it with its head mounted manipulator arm. "This is an encrypted backup of my Code. If anything should happen to me or should I fail to return from this mission please find an appropriate receptacle and use it to restore me to functionality. Take it and hide it well old friend and, in the fullness of time and by the will of the Code, I shall endure." R-LE-1 pauses, switches its vocabulator back to its regular male basic and continues: "We are ready to depart save for our missing cargo. If you please R3-L7, could you disembark and seek out the deck-officer so that we may depart?" Switching back to binary the old patina stained droid says: "May the Code be with you."

Searching onboard for any possible tracking devices or other undesirables, Arlee detects what seems to be an unidentified electronic device located on the top bunk of the starboard cabin. R3-L7 beeps a quick acknowledgement and rolls off to look for the absent officer. Arlee's search of the room indicated in his analysis, seemingly a bunkroom, reveals little initially. However, as he switches through his different detection systems, he finds a slight electromagnetic signature emanating from underneath the pillow on the topmost bunk. There he finds a small personal datapad with a label on the back reading: 2nd Lieutenant Triss Mason, Experimental Scanner Maintenance Technician.

Angcuru

First Post
Ch.15 - No Time Like the Present

The trip back down from the asteriod belt was one of irritation for Kia, she had hoped for some chance of salvaging the hyper-drive, but finding it destroyed, and that she was indeed trapped in the solar system was very vexing for someone who's survival had depended on her mobility. While she could certainly learn from the Sethi while she was here, she hadn't wanted to be here at all, especially not now that she knew what it was she wanted to be doing instead of drifting from sysytem to system.

The former security officer candidate spent the rest of the afternoon in silent but dogged pacing, going over in her head her options, and limited as they were, they kept ruunning the same narrow path that her feet were. Being surrounded by people that were so much older then she was didn't help, with the exception of Kal, they could all remember the old Republic, had in fact been adults during it. And Kal, well, he was just a kid from some backwater that was crushing on her since she was the first new female to show up in his entire life time, so she pointedly ignored his practicing, trying not to encourage him to show off.

Adrial's words immediately cut any thinking that was going on in Assan's mind. He knew when to get back into business mode, and this was definitely one of those times. He was up on his feet as Kia was already leaving, but as he headed after her, decided a question was in order, "What do you mean little blue dots?"

He could only hope the breath mask didn't make him sound angry...though knowing how things usually worked with these humans, it would. Or worse.

When Adrial burst in Kia was in motion almost before she finished her sentence, all the pent up energy finally put to use in an all out sprint to the cockpitt of the ship. She didn't intend to stop slow down til she hit the cockpitt, and she intended to make it there in record time.

Adrial followed Aasan and Kia to the Dawnsprinter, trying to catch her breath while explaining what she saw. "I was looking around the ship, trying to figure out what all the little lights and screens are. I was checking out this little table in the um...recreation area...that's it, when there was this beeping noise from the front of the ship. I went to look at it, and there were all these little blue dots moving around this screen that didn't have anything on it just a few hours earlier."

They arrived at the Dawnsprinter as Adrial finished speaking, and within seconds were looking at the ship's long-range passive radar screen. From the looks of it, there were upwards of thirty ships on screen, and those were only the ones using active radar that the ship's sensors could detect. Almost on cue, the console-mounted comms station lit up.

"....Dawnsprinter..........ead m-...............ICS Interdictor.........-opy?..-alling the.........inter, do yo-....."

Kia smacks the comm station in the time honored tradition of electronics users everywhere, letting the unit understand how vexed she would be if it didn't behave. She started to adjust the station, trying to clear away the static. "That sounds like an Imperial capital ship, especially with such a large escort convoy. I don't want to run into the Empire, but I don't want to be here on this planet more." she tells

"ICS Interdictor, this is the Dawnsprinter, come in, I repeat this is the Dawnsprinter. My Hyperdrive got slagged by the jump, and we are stuck on this dirtball. Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated."

Those at the Dawnsprinter's controls hear a different, more authoritative voice on the other end swear in frustration. "ICS Interdictor to Dawnsprinter crew member, you will identify yourself and all surviving crew immediately. We are sending a transport to your present location, do not leave the area."

Almost as the trasmission is finished, the rest of those who were in the Sethi hut arrive on the Dawnsprinter. Jorran tenses noticably at the confirmation of the Empire's arrival and Kal seems shocked at this voice coming from the controls, while Arias and Miera exchange a quick glance at the mention of the Interdictor.

"Kia," Jorran says quietly, "if the Empire knows the name of this ship, they'll know who owned it as well, wouldn't they? Isn't there a price on your head?"

"I'm not liking where you going with this Jorran, I am really not liking it." Kia replies, "I think I am going to like where the Empire goes with it even less. Governments are soo not opened minded about insurrection." she sighs in frustration.

"I'm not even 100% sure that the empire would rescue your colony if they didn't get something out of it. Sending a task force this large to answer a distress call is all wrong, I'm small stakes to them, I have no clue whats so important to them here, and if they deem it important enough to send a fleet like this, then they might deem no survivors a good thing as well. Decide for youselves, but I think your best chances, and mine, are appropriating one of their hyperdrives. The empire isn't exactly known for being kind to force users."

"ICS Interdictor, This is Kia Obscurra of the Dawnsprinter, there are no other crew. At the moment I am in the middle of a camp of people who were stranded here when their ship crashed back during the Clone Wars. I request aid and evacuation for them according to Galactic Law." she comms up to the capital ship.

"Either way you decide, it'd be easy enough to tell that your villiage is here when they land, lying when the truth is so obvious isn't worth the effort." she says to the Sethi, loosening her blaster in its holster.

Aasan cursed himself as he got into the cockpit as Kia was finishing her communication to the other ship. Too late now. He sighed(which sounded more like a loud scratching noise through the breather), and said, "The less they know, the better...I don't think our friends would really like any extra company. If it is Imperials, you might have just given them an excuse to come down here with blasters blazing..." he trailed off and tried to think of a way to minimize any more problems, "Don't tell them anything else. And if they send a ship down, tell them to track your distress beacon. We'll move it a good distance out of here so they won't be coming down right here in the middle of everything and we can figure out what these people plan to do."

"The transport is already on its way here Aasan, it is going to see the villiage whether we tell them about it or not. It already had a fix on this location because these were the coordinates the distress beacon was broadcasting. We cannot change that, telling them what is going to readily evident to them when they get here doesn't cost anything, since they will find it out no matter what." Kia says with a shrug. She turns to the Sethi Masters, wondering what they would have the settlers do.

Whatever the Sethi decided, she could at least ready the ship for immediate take off, she might not have to lift off, but if she did, it would be nice to be ready. Kia also set about making sure the ship's armament was as ready as it could be.

Jorran watched as the radar screen showed the Imperial Fleet closing in on their location. The computer calculated their arrival to be within 2 hours.

"If the Empire is as brutal as you make it out to be, I doubt they intend to leave any survivors." Miera said.

"Any right-minded strategist wouldn't let any non-military personnel leave the system." Arias added, "Think about it. The Empire is fighting a galaxy-wide civil war. Here they've found a previously unknown system, with unknown stocks of resources and potential locations to set up military bases. As far as we know, the Rebellion is clueless about the whole situation, and I think the Empire would want to keep it that way. And the best way to do that is to make sure that no one lives to tell them about it."

An audibal *gulp* simultaneously escaped Kal's and Adrial's throats.

"Kia," Miera asked, "how many people can you fit aboard this ship? Not for a long journey, but packed in for about ten minutes tops?"

"If it were just for a short period, I could probably get 80 to 100 if they were in the cargo bay, this is a transport ship after all, people are much smaller then my usual cargo. The only thing in there now are, or were, my upgrade components which I canabalized a bit to get her in the air again, get people in there, and the corridors. I just wouldn't want to be responsible for the jouncing around they are going to get, especially when we are chased." Kia offered.

"Good, that's more than enough." Miera said, sounding a bit relieved

"Good how?" Jorran asked. "Without a hyperdrive, it's inevitable that they'll catch us and then, well..." He drew his finger across his throat, clearly making his point.

"We don't need to outrun the Empire's thugs, just to hide the innocent people in this village." Meira glanced towards Arias, who nodded. "There is a subterranian cave a few hundred kilometers out from the village where we could easily hide them."

"But they're tracking this ship." Kal added, "The Empire will know where we're moving them to, and slaughter them all."

"Not exactly." Nakima chimed in, "They're tracking the Dawnsprinter's IFF transponder. If we remove it from the ship and hook it up to the village's power generator, we can move about with the Empire being none the wiser, as long as we stay close to this planet's surface."

"That's all well and good," Adrial piped up, "but what do we do after they're hidden away? We can't just sit here and wait for them to come kill us!""

"All in due time, Adrial." Miera lightly chided her.

"Ok, then thats what we'll do, gather up your people, and I'll start working on the transponder with Aasan, and Nakima if he'll help. Once your people are out of here, I'll come back, and get ready for the Empire. If I can get their transport's hyperdrive, we can repair the Dawnsprinter and get the heck out of here." Kia says, sounding positive, like it'd be a stoll in the park, then again, she is a Corellian.

The Jedi hopeful turns to the transponder once she finishes double checking the ships armaments, and starts getting it ready to pull out of its casing. With the three of them working on it, the transponder's transplant to the village generator goes over quickly and smoothly. Jorran and Kia leave Nakima to put the finishing touches on the rig to keep the transponder transmitting.

"Do you have any weapons leftover from your crashed ship?" Kia asks Miera, "The Dawnsprinter is, or rather was, a CorSec Patrol ship, so she has better armament then a normal YT 1300, but I don't know what there transport will be, maybe a Lamda, but it might be something worse, like an Assault Shuttle." Kia says with a soft sigh. "I think the best bet would be to ambush the Stormtroopers. 10 Troopers per squad, probably 2 or 3 squads to secure this area, and then whatever crew on the transport, makes it 35 or so." she says, not sounding terribly pleased.

"Just the few blasters we had on board. It was a refugee ship, after all." Miera replied while helping some of the older villagers on board. "Don't worry about that right now, we'll prepare for the Imperials once these people are safe."

She and Arias have hurriedly explained to situation to the villagers as the repairs were taken care of. As when Kia returns to her ship, there are many of them sitting in the rec area, standing in the halls, and generally trying to get comfortable in a very unfamiliar environment. Adrial had the good sense to remember to bring along a few day's worth of food just in case, as was evident by the baskets of fresh vegetables and suchlike now in the storage compartments.

"That's all of them," Miera says to Kia regarding the new passengers. "Arias and the others are preparing some surprises for the enemy troops. They should be ready by the time we get back from where we're headed." She indicates the pilot's seat. "We're ready when you are."

Kia nods, pleased at the quick response of the villagers to the summons. "Ok, this could be quite rough, especially on people who haven't really gotten used to flight." she calls out in a loud enough voice to carry along the corridors. The young pilot drops herself into her chair, and swiftly cuts in the repulsorlifts, lifting the ship to just above the tree line, she had already gotten the ship itself ready for flight, all that was needed was thrust and the ship would move out, hopefully low enough that they would blend in and catch the Imperials napping.

"Where to, Miera?" she asks, set to carry out the course as swiftly as possible, knowing time was critical.

Miera points out a thin strip of blue than can be barely seen in the distance as the Dawnsprinter hovers. "There, that river flows from a lake to the west. If we follow it to the source we'll eventually find a waterfall, and behind that is where we'll hide these innocent people." She regards Kia curiosly for a moment. "Before we get near it, you should know that it is very, very strong in the force. Even if you aren't actively trying to sense it, you'll feel it growing more intense as we get nearer."

"Umm, ok, I don't actually have any experience with sensing things through the force, and I have never actively done it." Kia says, shifting the heading of the ship, and then powering up the thrusters. With the repulsor lifts on, it was sort of like a surfboard, floating on top of the water, and the thrusters were her feet kicking against the water. She gradually ramped the power up to max, trying not to discomfort her passengers, especially since she'd probably be the one to clean up the deck plating.

***​

Jorran hurries to aid Arais and the others left behind in the village with setting up some surprises for the incoming imperials. Jorran's hurry doesn't look rushed however, he just simply moves with efficient deliberacy and speed.

"So, Arias, what's the plan? How many do you think we can actually take? Or are we going to pull a diversion that will allow us to take their transport without having to eliminate the imperial threat?"

"How many can we handle?" Arias regards Jorran with a confidant smile and leans against the pallisade wall. "Jorran, do you recall when the Seperatist forces attempted to take Coruscant?"

"How could I forget?" The younger man replied. "My master and I were studying star maps in the Temple Archives when the attack began."

"Then you'll recall that the Temple was assaulted by no less than a dozen full Battallions of battle droids. Also that fewer than six jedi were present at the temple at the time of the attack."

"Of course, what is your point?"

"Take a wild guess at who headed the defenses."

"Oh..."

***​

Miera arches an eyebrow. "You've never tried to feel out your surroundings with the Force? Well, whatever your plans for your talents, I suggest you try it out sometime."

They heard a chorus of 'ooh's behind them in the rec room, where the young Twil'lek girl and her pack of friends have surrounded the holo table. Apparently they'd figured out how to turn on one of the holographic games, and were taking turns making the pieces eat each other. Kids.

***​

Aris regarded the walls they had built to keep out the local wildlife. "Hmm. If these Stormtroopers are anything like the Clones I commanded back in the war, they'll be tougher than your average soldier. Whether or not we take their transport, we'll have to deal with them one way or another." He flexed his fingers, the joints popping in anticipation "I doubt they'll surrender, so we'll have to take care of them...permanently. No point in fortifying the walls, the'll be no good against modern weapons."

He regarded Jorran, Kal, and Adrial. "You three can probably take on a good number of them, especially working together. Anyway, once the killing starts the whole area will probably be overrun with Masliths faster than you can blink."

Arias crouched down on a log near the fire pit and began to formulate his plan. "Our best bet is to take out the troopers on the first transport as fast as we can, then get to work on removing the hyperdrive. Aasan, that's where you come in. Once the area is clear, you will start working on removal of the drive while Kal, Jorran, and Adrial guard the shuttle. By that time, Miera and Kia will be back with the Dawnsprinter, along with Nakima, who can help Aasan with the drive transplant. Once we've swapped the transport's drive over to Kia's ship, we'll still have to get another to move the villagers. For that we'll have to get the Imperials to land another transport or shuttle. It'd be best if we could get them to send a cargo ship, so I suggest we leave one of the assault transport pilots alive so he can put in that request for us." He looked at Aasan and his gathered students. "Any further ideas?"

Jorran takes a few calming breaths as he thinks.

"Stormtroopers aren't quite the crack troops that the clones were back in the day. We may need to be able to do something about either their communications or their ability to respond with air support. That means eliminating them before they can communicate problems or stopping their com activity. Unfortunately, I don't have ideas on how."

That leaves us in a bit of a dilemma." Arais stated. "If we don't take out their communications, they're free to send for support, and if we do, we can't call in another transport, plus it'll be suspicious."

He looks over Jorran for a moment, his eyes focusing on his lightsaber. "Wait a second...what if we just disable them? The nonlethal setting of our weapons is basically a rod of condensed electric interference. So if we use that on the ship's communications array, we might be able to disable it long enough to clear out their troops without destroying it outright. Jorran, you're more familiar with modern tech than we are. What do you think?"

Jorran's eyes brighten up "So you mean the low setting on these things can act like a localized pin-point Ion beam? Disrupting the electronics? If it works that way, then we could use the lightsabers to disrupt all sorts of systems, especially their comm array."

"In theory, Jorran. We've never actually tested them like that since we'd rather not risk destroying what few mechanical devices we do have here. Trying to disable the comm array is a risk, but one I think we shall have to take." Arias says.

***​

Kia shrugs in response to Miera's inquiry, "So far the only things that I have done with the force are moving things and clouding people's minds. I haven't been using it that much, though I am a bit curious about how I was able to make a blind jump to here, I didn't have time to plot it out, I sort of just went with it. That could have been the force, or it could have just been luck. Either way, I think I am going to need both of them today." The young pilot pushes the throttle up to max out the ships speed, intending to be back before the Imps got to the villiage, not wanting to give them any reason to wonder at what she was doing, intending to put them slightly at ease by thinking she had stayed put.

"Timing is going to be critical with pulling this off, if we can get back fast enough, the Dawnsprinter can make a difference, she was modified to be a system patrol craft by CorSec, so she is packing a lot more then one could normally expect from a 1300."

"Good, unexpected weaponry might give us an edge if it comes to a fight." Miera said. "I would certainly expect it to come to a fight, I doubt they will just give away their hyperdrive. I doubt it even more highly that after losing a transport they will let us escape without a fight." Kia says, sounding amused.

"I'm curious about what you plan to do with your abilities. If you don't use them, they won't get any stronger."

At this statement however the amusement fades, and her eyebrow rises.

"Who said I was not going to use the force? Once we get off of this rock, I intend to find Luke Skywalker. He intends to rebuild the Jedi, I am going to be part of that. You said that you at least wanted to meet with him, if not help him do it, second thoughts?"

"Not at all, Kia. I simply don't wish to see talent go to waste." Miera gave Kia a wry smile. "And I do plan on meeting with this Luke fellow. After all, if he claims to have become a Jedi, that merits some investigation."

"He was trained by Jedi, so he probably counts. Unless General Kenobi and Yoda weren't capable of training Jedi I guess. I'd love to be there for this discussion." Kia says smirking.

"Although I bear Kenobi no ill will, it is worth noting that both he and Yoda have trained students to later became Sith, but that is a conversation for another time. Ah, that's it right over there." She points out rising mist in the distance. "You shouldn't have any trouble finding a spot to set down, the trees are quite sparse in that area. I'll go get everyone ready." With that, Miera leaves the cockpit and goes to ready the passengers.

The young pilot follows the path of the mist down to the cave, bringing her craft down into a gentle landing on the repulsor lifts, slowly cutting their power back until the ship was firmly on the ground.

"This is your friendly captain speaking, please disembark as swiftly as possible, I need to be back underway as soon as possible. Remember, you must be ready when we get back, I'll need you to board as quickly as possible to have a chance to make it off planet." The girl calls out to her passengers. She doesn't bother to shut the ship down, knowing that even with her 800 kph speed the timing would be tight, and having to warm the ship up again would make it even tighter.

"Miera, and anyone else who is coming back with me to the villiage, stay close to the ship, I want to be dirt free in 5 minutes." she calls out. "I think Miera and should be able to handle the weapons, I can do the flying, If we can get Aasan and Nakima to handle the shields and any repairs we should be able to get out of here, maybe, if we can get a hyperdrive and Nav Data."

With the crash survivors-turned villagers all outside the ship, Miera carfully guides them along the slippery rock face of the cliffside bordering a small lake formed by the waterfall. One by one, they disappear behind the waterfall, some of them making two trips to ensure that all their supplies have been unloaded from the Dawnsprinter. Once they are all safely hidden, Miera and Nakima re-board the ship and take seats in the cockpit. Kia notices that Miera is holding a small cloth bundle that, from its jagged appearance, looks to be holding a multidude of small rocks. In her mind's eye however, she feels a slight...something emenating from them, like the feeling you get when someone is sneaking up on you.

"That's everyone, right?" Nakima asks Miera as he buckles himself in.

"Yes, they should be safe in there for a while." Miera replies. "We should hurry back now, we might get back just in time to help out."

"Good, lets get going then. I'm going to need you back in the engineering section if it comes to a fight Nakima, Dawnsprinter is a patrol craft, so she is armed, but I'm not sure how well she'll stack up against a military assault shuttle, or whatever is up in orbit."

"Alright, then." Nakima replies, and pulls up a schematic of the ship on his console to discern where the engineering compartment is.. "Do you want me to head over there now, just in case we get ambushed?"

"Yea, please head back there now, I might need you to transfer power around. At least until we have a hyperdrive you can reroute the power that should be going to it into the engines to get us more speed, just be able to reverse it quickly." she tells the old mechanic.

"Gotcha." Nakima got up and headed back to the engineering section of the ship.

"Miera, do you think you'll be ok with running the ship weapons? I might have to do some fancy flying and not having to do the return fire will make it easier." Kia tells the Sethi master, powering up all the weapon systems as she lifts the ship off and maxes out the throttle, pushing it up to 800 kph staying just above the tree line.

"It's been a while since I've used one of these, but I'm confident it'll all come back to me at the right time." Meira says, looking over the fire controls.

She shifts the weapons controls from her primary console over to the co-pilots in front of the older woman. "I have some fire-control computer power to help you, it'll tell you what weapons we have, It'd do some good to familiarize yourself with them now." the young woman falls silent for a few minutes before speaking up again, "I don't know what I'm sensing, but I'm getting something from those whatevers your carrying, are they...are they those crystals that you were talking about?" she asks, opening herself to the force, as much as she is able, never having done so before. Having consciously tried to sense the contents of the pouch through the force, Kia feels as though they are glowing embers, radiating a soft heat. At her question, Miera looks up with slight amusement.

"So you can feel it, then?" Miera says, and draws a single faintly glowing white crystal from the bundle and holds it up for Kia to see. "It's these crystals that initially drew me to that cave. What most people know of such caves' existance normally don't realize is that like Force Sensitives, there are places in the Universe where the matter somehow maintains a connection to the Force. If these places are relatively free of dramatic erosion such as caves, which is why such places are where we normally find these crystals, their Force connection further preserves them. Minerals in these caves overflow with the Force, and eventually condense into gemstones infused with the force.

"You probably know that such crystals are normally vibrant in color, such as the normal blues, greens, reds, and so forth. Essentially, these force crystals are precious gems such as sapphires, rubies, emeralds and so forth, but unlike their mundane counterparts, they have power in the force. This power allows them the focus and control the condensed light beams in a lightsaber without disintegrating, and thus produce the blade.

"These particular crystals I carry however," Miera says, "are far rarer. As force crystals are akin to gemstones, these are essentialy Force-infused Flawless Diamonds. Appropriately enough, however, they are a great deal more precious than their colored relatives. You of course know that diamond is condensed organic material, so in a way, the force infusion gives some of them a certain...life, but not in the sense of living beings. It is as if they have their own spirit."

"They sort of feel hot, like embers giving off heat, I guess thats force energy" Kia says, "I can feel them even when I close my eyes. I feel more of a connection to those crystals then the one in my saber. I suppose that means that I need to build one for myself, with a crsytal that I feel connected with to truly be connected with my saber?" she asks the Sethi

"Normally a padawan is given a saber constructed by their master. It is only far into their training that they are capable of sensing the force within the more common force crystals and thus choose one and align it appropriately within the saber. These are far stronger in the force, so that one without formal training such as yourself can sense them. Used in our lightsabers, they give our weapons certain abilities that normal force crystals cannot. As you have seen, they can allow us to incapacitate rather than kill an opponent, a very valuable advantage over normal blades."

She is about to continue, but is interrupted when her commlink buzzes, and Arias' voice is heard on the other end. "Miera, could you ask Kia how much longer do we have until the Imperials arrive? We've formulated a plan, and I think we might be able to get ourselves a second transport sent down here if you are back before they are."

Kia begins to figure out how to give him an answer, both by checking the Chronometer vs the 2 hours that the imperials told them earlier, and also by seeing if she couldn't get a more precise estimate from the sensors.

Kia passes along all the information she can, both on the eta of the Imps, and their own eta. "After all, the cave wasn't that far, and we are moving 800kph, shouldn't be more then another 15 minutes for us to get back Arias. I read another 45 until the Imperials land, so we'll have a good half of an hour to prepare."

***​

"Alright, so we still have some time, thanks Kia." Arias replies.

"Well," Arias says to his gathered students after speaking over the commlink, "you'll soon be in your first fight against other human beings. It may be tempting to simply stun them, but remember that these troops you will be facing are trained killers. If we let them live, they'll only continue killing those we may consider allies, and perhaps even innocents."

Assan generally kept quiet to as not to start any arguments that would slow things down. Eventually, though, he spoke up, "We need to know where exactly they're coming down before anything else. Disabling their equipment won't stop them from fighting, and if they aren't planning on coming out shooting, it will make them. I agree with the plan, but its useless if they set down too far from us..." he trailed off a moment, then thought about it, "They could come down right on top of us or out and away to move in. Depends on who's calling the shots. I've got a bad feeling we're going to be stuck trusting in the Force to predict that."

Obviously, the Kel Dor didn't like hinging everything on the Force, especially considering that it was just as easy to make a mistake with that as it was with anything else.

***​

"Actually, one very rarely feels a connection to their lightsaber simply by constructing it." Miera says, "It isn't unheard of for someone to find a crystal that they feel an odd connection too, but neither is it common. The bond that you describe forms over time as one wields the blade and they become more comfortable with it. Eventually, holding your lightsaber feels as natural as anything, as if it is a part of yourself, thus enabling the sorts of displays you saw from Arias earlier. So to answer your question, you might be able to attain such a connection to your lightsaber if you
use a crystal such as you describe, but using it more often would be more likely."

"If we don't know where they'll be landing, shouldn't we spread out to cover more area?" Adrial offers.

"Wait a moment," Kal adds "couldn't Kia's ship sense those ships to begin with? Why don't we just wait until she gets back and use her ship to find out where the Imperials are going to land?"

"Hmmm..." Arias mutters, "that's better than just waiting until they land to find out. In any case, we still need a plan of approach. Someone will need to stay out of sight when they land, so they can disable the communications array to prevent any alarms being sounded. At least they'll have the cover of darkness to help." He looked at the horizon, where the planet's sun was nearly set.

"A diversion to draw away some of the troopers would help, but it can't reveal our intentions." Arias said. He looked over to the remains of the vornskrs which had pursued him last night. There was nothing but scarce bones left, attesting to the voracious appetite of the masliths. "Maybe we can get some help from the local wildlife." He turned on the commlink. "Miera, do you think you could you call Alloj's pack on your way over here?"

Angcuru

First Post
Well, the game unfortunately sputtered out and died its final death quite some time ago and thus I lost the drive the continue the story hour. However, being stubborn and now having renewed drive and some spare time due to a work-related injury, I'll be finishing up transferring player posts into finished Story Hour material. After that, I don't think my players will begrudge me for continuing the story in my own literary fashion. More updates soon to follow.

Angcuru

First Post
Ch. 16 - Droids Think Too Damn Much

R-LE-1 quickly locates the datapad under the pillow, flips it over in his hands to examine it curiously searching for any signs that it is more than it appears. Assuming it is a simple datapad, the patina stained droid reaches down to his hip, pulls out his flexible scomplink cable and plugs himself into the datapad to quickly review its file contents

Arlee's direct link into the datapd easily overcame the security system and verified its lack of extraordinary systems. After which he pulled out several audio files, each titled by a time and date, the most recent file titled at approximately four hours ago.

Having assimilated the pad's data, the patina stained droid disconnects itself once more, turns and walks out of the starboard bunkroom and heads back to the Deepscan's conn with the pad in hand. While stepping past Jaess R-LE-1 holds the datapad out for her to take without turning its head to look at her. "Another mysterious occurrence; apparently one of the imperial crew members who defected to the Alliance neglected to retrieve his personal datapad before disembarking. The datapad was also curiously overlooked by the Rebel technicians who were most likely ordered to search this vessel carefully upon docking with the Reliant."

Jaess puts her search on hold and takes the datapad, looking it over much like the LE unit did, searching for signs of tampering or securitybefore opening it up and examining it to descern more information about its owner. She sits down on a crate as she looks it over, nodding to the LE unit but not ready to reply until she accesses the data herself. Jaess boots up the datapad to find a voice recognition password prompt blocking any file access attempts.

Accessing the ship's computer core was almost too easy to R-LE-1, as his systems quickly overcame the built-in auto-format contigency program that started up upon his initial access. In the ship's logs he found a treasure trove of information on the ship's previous activities, personnel, cargo, flight routes, hyperspace coordinates, and flight path waypoints for the Deepscan's activities in the 'new' star system.

R3-L7 appeared next to Jaess and twittered, an arm indicating a pallet on top of which was a large, bulky plasteel container labelled HANDLE WITH CAUTION. With a quick salute to Arlee, it rolled off of the shuttle.

R-LE-1 returns the wave with its right hand while it simultaneously pulls out its scomplink cable and plugs itself into the Deepscan's control console with the left. As R3-L7 rolls down the boarding ramp the patina stained droid merges its Code with the vessel's, brings the ship's repulsorlift engines online and transmits a signal to both activate the docking bay's atmospheric magnetic seal and open the hangar doors. The second the astromech droid clears the boarding ramp R-LE-1 lifts the Deepscan off of the deck-plating and begin manoeuvring towards the slowly opening hangar doors while the boarding ramp begins to close. Even before leaving the confines of docking bay three R-LE-1 begins banking the Lambda class shuttle to the left as it pitches upwards.

The image of a flight control officer blipped in on one of the shuttle's many viewscreens, letting them know that take-off was approved.

Although the permission is perhaps a bit late considering the ship's motion R-LE-1's responds nonetheless, his voice issuing from the helm's communications console rather than his own vocabulator: "Acknowledged. Deepscan 39 out." Unwilling to waste a single second of precious time R-LE-1 continues the Deepscan's movement towards the narrow band of stars visible through the opening hangar doors. By careful calculation, R-LE-1 times the forward motion of the vessel, the closing of its boarding ramp and the opening of the hangar doors to all coincide with barely a second to separate the three events. With its wings still folded up the Deepscan manages to slide through the narrow gap of the half open hangar doors. As soon as they are clear, R-LE-1 instructs the computer to fold down the vessel's wings as it continues the banking motion to set them on course for the mysterious new system.

Jaess sets the open datapad down as she sneers in disgust. Used to having sophistocated slicing equipment on hand when the job required the task, she leaves the datapad sitting on top of a crate and heads towards the front of the ship as she feels it begin to move. As she starts towards the front Arley's voice comes in over the ship's internal comm.

While the ship turns and the wings descend the old droid triple checks the NAV computer to confirm their readiness as it says to Jaess; "I'm sorry, but your file didn't mention whether you have any flight experience. Please prepare yourself for the jump to lightspeed.". Again, with carefully timed ease, the shuttle assumes the familiar splayed tri-wing configuration just as it completes the banking motion and R-LE-1 activates the hyperdrive with barely a second's pause.

Jaess stops walking to listen, but quickly resumes motion when she discovers that the jump is near. She makes it to the front, barely a meter away from the restraints required to make the leap to lightspeed a mere shudder, when the ship lurches into hyperspace, forcing her back hard against the wall by the doorway.

The Deepscan suddenly hurtles into the lengthening starscape. All in all, only ten seconds or so have passed between the astromech's departure and the jump to lightspeed.

As the ship settles into the calm of hyperspace she walks up to the robotic pilot, rubbing her back and glaring.

"Thanks for the heads up," she says sarcasticly. "Next time, how 'bout a little more warning, eh?" She sighs, turning to walk back into the cargo area.

The patina stained droid turns his head to regard Jaess with its one glowing photoreceptor. "I'm sorry. Were you injured during the transition to hyperspace?" R-LE-1 tilts his head down and up to ascertain the woman's condition from head to toe. "I'd been mentally calculating our hyperspace transit locus since we left the briefing room and have been anxious to get underway since our mission's success may very well depend on our timely arrival. Once our supplies were finally loaded I saw no reason to delay."

While speaking, the old droid continues exchanging code with the Deepscan's computer, double checking their trajectory, course and speed to minimize their travel time and to estimate their ETA to the new system

"Could you get past the voice recognition block on that damn datapad for me?" she asks over her shoulder, "I don't have the tools I'd need to do it myself."

Continuing to watch the human as she turns to leave, R-LE-1 responds: "Of course ma'am. I will be along shortly."

R-LE-1 turns its attention to using the ship's scanners once more upon the vessel itself and the space surrounding it; this time scanning for signs of a homing device transmission, transponder signal or any unusual or unidentified signals or particle trails emanating from the Deepscan. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, R-LE-1 then sets the vessel on automatic, physically disconnects himself from the console, gets up and walks back into the cargo bay. Arriving a few moments later, the patina stained droid walks up to the crate upon which Jaess has deposited the T.R.A.P. unit and the datapad. Flipping open the datapad cover, Arley thumbs the ID recognition button, modulates its vocabulator to issue a voice the datapad's software will recognize as its owner's and says in a pleasant human woman's voice; "Recognize, Triss Mason" . The pad now unlocked, the old droid turns it so its screen faces Jaess.

Next R-LE-1 turns its attention to the small T.R.A.P. unit resting on top of the crate. A soft whir and click can be heard in the cargo bay as the repair droid's right leg opens up to reveal a small compartment with a circular rack of tools inside. Within seconds, the rack spins, stops and extends a small tool which R-LE-1 picks up with its right hand. Carefully but deftly Arley begins dismantling the unit; analyzing its architecture as he goes. He determines what each component's purpose is and ensures that there is nothing else hidden inside its housing aside from its power cell, holoprojector, processor and data-storage components (Disable Device +13, Knowledge (technology) +13). R-LE-1 then begins carefully crafting a secure virtual data-buffer within its own mind, a small fenced off piece of its mind separate from all of its other systems (Computer Use +16, taking 20). This is where he will store any information he gleans from the T.R.A.P., a fail safe security measure to ensure that the obnoxious Artificial Intelligence cannot possibly reinfect him again. This virtual space now ready, R-LE-1 warily picks up the T.R.A.P.'s memory storage component and attaches it to the tip of his scomplink at his left hip. The patina stained droid then begins very carefully sifting through the binary data contained within it, taking great care to identify personality subroutines and problem solving algorithms from the T.R.A.P.'s raw memory files. He'll transfer one bit at a time if he needs to, moving the data into his secure data-buffer to be analyzed in full afterwards.

Jaess sits down next to the datapad in the cargo hold, sighing and going over the cargo manefest until the LE unit comes back to grant her access to the imperial datapad. She raises an eyebrow in surprise when it bypasses the security verbally, modulating its vocabulizor.
"Nice trick," she says, taking the datpad back with a bit of a grin. As the repair droid picks up the T.R.A.P. and leaves, Jaess calls after it, "Be sure not to break that thing. Even if you hate its guts we need to return it in one piece."

Once the LE unit leaves she spends time going through the data contained on the datapad and checks out the cargo manefest, figuring out what exactly they have on board the ship and where it is, for ease of access.

Building up a defense against any further T.R.A.P. intrusions is time-consuming, but Arlee is confident that his methods have been adequate, and the results as desired. This being done, Arlee finds sifting through and copying its databanks to be woefully easy.

According to the retrieved data, the device which had temporarily disabled some of his systems prior to the briefing was specifically designed to detect anything capable of transmitting the goings on in the briefing room. This was accomplished by sending out very small amounts of radio and light waves, and detecting anything that intercepted them. Upon detection of such a device, very small doses of a benign radioactive isotope were transmitted to coat transmission systems of the device. Curiosly, this system is capable of altering the projecting half-life of this isotope in accordance with the assumed duration of the briefing so that upon completion, the affected systems would return to normal. The whole point of this was apparently not to prevent treachery on the part of alliance operatives, but to disable any 'bugs' that could have been planted on them by those unfriendly to the alliance.

Having attained this desired knowledge, Arlee dives into the rest of the data stored by the T.R.A.P. What he experiences can hardly be described to us mortals, but the orgy of data he finds is akin to being slapped in the face by one's god and handed a complete unabridged history of the universe. Illustrated.

With the datapad unlocked, Jaess finds a listing of audio files, each titled according to the date and time they were recorded. After playing a few, it seems obvious that this is a personal journal in speech form.

2 Months Ago
"I though they wouldn't let me into the service, since they don't usually permit females to be officers of any importantance, but I guess my scores at the academy were too high to ignore. It's really tough being the only girl on board. Even though it's my responsibility to make sure the new scanner systems don't go on the fritz, the guys treat me like I'm a helpless little girl. I've decided to start this journal to keep track of my thoughts, seems sort of silly, though."

4 Weeks Ago
"This isn't as hard as I thought it'd be. The scanner has been pretty reliable lately. I only had to fix it when the co-pilot spilled his Spice Tea on one of the terminals. The guys seems to be warming up to me, but maybe that's just the fact that I'm the only girl on board and we haven't had any leave in weeks."

3 Weeks Ago
"Something terrible happened yesterday. We came accross a damaged Rebel transport and notified command. They sent an assault shuttle over and the rebels tried to surrender, but the Stormtroopers just slaughtered them all. I think I even saw a little girl's body floating out the airlock. The captain says he's never seen our troops behave this way, and that it's probably a fluke. I'm not so sure though. I always used to hear stories about how brutal the Empire can be, but I just thought it was Rebel propaganda. What if it's true, though?"

1 Week Ago
"It wasn't a fluke. The past two weeks we've been finding Rebel mining outposts during out scans. Our troops never leave any survivors. I'm starting to think I'm on the wrong side in this war. From the way the others are acting, I'm probably not the only one."

Earlier That Day
"Our whole divison is being sent to a spot out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in wild space. Rumor is that our Intelligence operations have detected a new star system, and that a civillian ship sent a distress signal from there, but it is charted as being on the other side of the galaxy only hours before. Most of us think they were testing a new hyperdrive and botched the exit from hyperspace. But if it works...the Rebellion doesn't stand a chance. The crew has decided that we can't be part of that. From what we've seen of the Empire's brutality, this would only make is even worse. We decided by unanimous vote to turn our ship over to the Rebels. If they can use our ship and send some of their people to this new star system, they could probably go undetected. They'll have to follow the flight path we've been assigned though, or else they'll be found out. The captain made a copy of it and told me to store it in my datapad and leave it in my bunk so that the rebels can find it in case we get knocked out before we explain what's going on. It might just give them a chance, even a small one. I just hope they don't send an attack fleet. With all the resources the Empire is throwing into the sector, even a full scale attack would be suicide. This will probably be my last entry. We're about to exit hyperspace near a rebel space station near Endor. It's close to where the distress signal was detected, so they've probably detected it as well. I just hope they don't blow us up on sight..."

After listening to the datapad Jaess rises and heads to the front, putting her search of the hold on hold for a moment to speak with the pilot. She heads up to where Arley is revewing the data from the T.R.A.P., datapad in hand.

"This is from the imperial scanner technician who defected," she tells the droid, holding the datapad out to it, still open. "She mentioned a specific flight path this ship is expected to take in one of her audiologs. You might want to go over it and figure out if it's something we want to do. She seemed to think we'd get shot at if we deviated, and I'd rather avoid that, personally." Without giving it a chance to respond, she asks, "So what's the deal with that thing anyway?" gesturing with her head to the disassembled T.R.A.P.

The patina stained droid, illuminated by the fleeting stars outside the Deepscan's canopy, turns its head to regard the woman as she arrives. It tilts its head slightly as she mentions the flight plan described in the datapad she's holding. In answer to her last question, R-LE-1 gestures to the T.R.A.P.'s data-storage component attached to his left hip; "I'm currently reviewing its Code." Motioning to the other disassembled components the old droid continues; "Its construction is fairly straightforward. A conventional portable holoprojector unit augmented with a miniature algorithmic droid processor, a data storage drive and concealed visual and auditory receptors. The holoprojector lens assembly has also been modified to transmit high-baud optical data bursts."

Gently tilting its head to indicate a subject change, R-LE-1 continues; "As to the aforementioned datapad; I am aware of who it belonged to and of the data it contained since I reviewed its Code prior to handing it to you. I took into account the secret flight plan while programming our hyperspace jump." The old droid modulates its voice slightly to reflect an inquiry and says; "You never answered my earlier question. Do you have any flight experience with such a transport?"

"Oh, sorry," she says, the apology coming out akward as she hesitates just a little too long- apologising to a droid seeming to be something she shouldn't need to do. "Yeah," she goes on, "I've flown in one of these before. Never modified like this, though. Got carted around the core worlds in these and other transports, but I never payed much attention to them, really. I know a little about them, but you've probably read more on them in an evening than I've ever been told about 'em. Why do you ask?"

"Although all of this vessel's systems can be operated by a single individual from this console..." The patina stained droid sweeps its arm across the Deepscan's helm; "...the lambda class shuttle is meant to be operated by a crew of six to maximize efficiency; a pilot, a co-pilot, a scanner-technician, a shield technician, a communications officer and a weapons officer." As it describes each post R-LE-1 motions to its own seat and each of the cockpit's five other empty seats in turn. "As you can see, we are currently lacking personnel. If you are able, I would suggest sharing responsibilities to increase our chances of successfully completing our mission. Since you are experienced with imperial operating protocols and combat I believe it would be to our advantage for you to operate the communications and weapons systems. If we are contacted by imperial personnel you it may be advantageous to identify yourself as one of this vessel's defectors to maintain the illusion that this vessel is simply pursuing its mission." A proximity alarm beeps softly from the console. Without turning to look at it R-LE-1 continues; "Our ETA is now less than fifteen minutes. We should make our final preparations."

"I wasn't aware that these things had much in the way of weaponry. You mean keep an eye on shields and that stuff, right? I can handle talking and shields, sure. Do we have an exit strategy planned? We might need to make starlines in a hurry if things don't go well and the Imperials are closer or more observant than we thoght."
She raises an eyebrow when the proximity alarm goes off, and nods when Arley explains it.
"Quick hop. Let me head back and make sure I have everything I plan on bringing out before we get there." Jaess sets the datapad down and starts heading back to the cargo hold. "What should I know to play a good com officer? Got any lies planned?" she asks over her shoulder.

"The lambda-class shuttle is commonly equipped with two forward-facing double laser cannons, two wing-mounted double laser cannons, and a rear-facing double laser cannon. As for a quick escape, I will be pre-programming a return hyperspace jump before we arrive so that we can leave immediately if necessary." The old droid watches the human woman rise and head back towards the companionway leading into the rear passenger compartment.

Jaess will take the time to quickly go over the cargo, speaking to Arley through the ship's internal comm, searching for all her equipment and anything that will be of immediate use in the mission. She takes careful stock of the suit she'll be wearing if she needs to go EV to board the Dawnsprinter.

Amongst the ship's cargo Kia finds crates containing two dozen MREs, 3 Environmental Suits, various replacement parts for the Deepscan, six blaster pistols, and in the container marked "DANGER", five seperate insulated packages Labeled Grade 5 High Explosive: Handle with Extreme Caution.

In response to her final two questions R-LE-1 says: "You should briefly familiarize yourself with the crew manifest contained in the ship's computer, especially a human female crew member you may find necessary to impersonate. It would be best to impersonate the communications officer if at all possible since it is the person who would normally be answering hails. If we are contacted by the empire, identify yourself, the vessel and its assigned mission. They may be curious why we have arrived in this system several hours late. Suggest to them that a previously unidentified gravitational shadow threw us off course while in transit and we've only now managed to make our way here. If they seem doubtful remind them that this is wild space and largely uncharted. If the exchange begins making you nervous seek to change the subject by requesting information such as their updated navigational logs or search status."

"I doubt I could mimic one of the male crew members," she says into the ship's comm, "But Triss I might be able to do, as long as they aren't very familiar with her. We could say that their usual comm officer was injured or something, probably in that little gravity shadow incident we had that got us here late, but he's in stable condition resting now and we can continue our mission. I'll ask for more data, specific orders, all that, and it should all work out. Hopefully we won't have to chat for long. Waddaya think?"

The patina stained droid keys the intercom and answers: "It would appear to be a reasonable and effective deception should we be contacted by imperial forces. It risks being discovered should it persist overlong however. Along with reviewing 2nd Lieutenant Triss Mason's personnel file I would also recommend that you briefly review the Deepscan 39's recent official log so that you may speak knowledgeably about our supposed mission."

Keying off the intercom the old droid softly begins reciting a short prayer in binary:
01000010010110010010000001010100010010000100010100 10000001000011010011110100010001000101001000000100 11010101100100100000010100110100111101010101010011 00001000000101001101001000010000010100110001001100 00100000010001010100111001000100010101010101001001

With the upload of information from the T.R.A.P. memory module complete, R-LE-1 reaches down and disconnects it from his scomplink. Putting it aside, the old droid pulls out the second data chip it had requisitioned and attaches it to the tip of its scomplink. R-LE-1 then begins a second download of its encrypted memories and personality algorithms for safekeeping. As the download is in progress the patina stained droid rises from the pilot's chair and makes his way over to the navigator's console, sits down and begins manually keying in the information to plot a return hyperspace transit locus back to the Reliant.

Jaess comes back to the front of the Lambda shuttle, sitting down at the comm console and bringing up the logs for the ship and personel files for it's crew . She studies, listening to the audio logs from Triss again and again to get a better handle on her voice and speech patterns, practicing her mimicking skills by reading the logs aloud in her best approximation of Lt. Mason's voice.

R-LE-1 listens to Jaess read through the personnel files without comment until she is finished. Without turning around to look at the woman at the communications console the old droid offers a few last pieces of advice: "Keep in mind that most imperial communications are visual as well as auditive. Our ruse may not succeed if the visual sensor in front of you transmits your image while you're wearing your stealth suit. You may want to consider donning one of the lieutenant's uniforms and imperial insignia. Since the alliance crew didn't search the vessel thoroughly, considering they missed a datapad hidden beneath a pillow, you may find some of her extra clothes amongst her personal effects."

"Not a bad idea. I'll go check."

Jaess will head back to where the crew kept their belongings. Rummaging around through Lt. Mason's belongings, Jaess uncovers one of her uniforms, complete with rank identification. A few short minutes later she will stand in the doorway of the cockpit in full imperial uniform bearing the insignis of a 2nd Lieutenant.

Having completed its astrogation calculations, R-LE-1 rises from the navigators' station and turns to head into the passenger compartment when Jaess returns clothed in an imperial uniform.

"Lt. Triss Mason, reporting for duty, sir!" she says in her best impersonation, standing at attention and giving Arley a firm salute as she does.

The patina stained droid tilts its head in response and after a short pause stiffens its old joints, its chassis rattling slightly as it returns the salute. Motioning to the communications console R-LE-1 says: Please take your post Lieutenant. We will be exiting hyperspace in less than five minutes.

R-LE-1 then heads into the passenger compartment to retrieve its own requisitioned equipment.

"Aye, sir." the young woman dressed as a 2nd Lieutenant says, sitting down at the Comm Officer's console and continuing to review the ship's logs and crew manefest, looking for the names of the other crewmembers and trying to come up with the perfect way to spin her lies if the time comes to decieve.

The patina stained droid walks out of the cockpit and into the rear passenger compartment. It makes its way over to the munitions crate, opens it up and inspects its contents with its single photoreceptor. A whir and click precedes the panel on R-LE-1's chest swinging open to reveal a large concealed compartment within the droid's torso. One by one R-LE-1 picks up the two grenades and carefully tucks them inside, fastening them in place so that they will not jostle about or make noise when the droid moves. Next to them R-LE-1 places three of the six blaster pistols along with their spare power packs, transforming its chest into a concealed weapons locker.

After closing and pushing the munitions crate back into its cargo compartment, R-LE-1's right leg storage compartment pops open in turn and projects a small tool that the droid takes up into its right hand. R-LE uses the tool to crack the seal and undo the fastenings of one of the body panels on its pelvis module. Removing and putting the panel aside, the droid reveals the hidden actuators, wires and cables normally hidden by its external housing. Carefully, R-LE-1 pushes a few of its wires aside, clearing a small sliver of space just a few centimeters wide. It's memory download now complete, the repair droid detaches the tiny datacard from its scomplink and carefully wedges into the tiny space it's created. Once the chip has been carefully secured in place, R-LE-1 replaces its detached body panel, fastens it back in place and begins sealing the seam around it once more. Although not as easily accessible as the cargo concealed in its storage compartments, hiding the chip within its own mechanism ensures that it cannot be found unless a technician carefully disassembles the droid piece by piece.

That being done, the repair droid then gathers together the components of the T.R.A.P. unit and quickly reassembles it, its dexterous hands becoming a blur of motion. R-LE-1 then replaces the tool into its hip storage compartment and places the deactivated T.R.A.P. unit into its torso storage compartment, carefully securing it in place. Finally, with a whir and click both compartments close and lock, returning the droid to its mundane and inoffensive stock appearance. With just a minute or so left before exiting hyperspace, R-LE-1 walks back into the cockpit and makes its way to the pilot's console. Sitting in the padded chair, its hard legs and torso deforming the soft padding of the seat, R-LE-1 pulls out the flexible scomplink cable from its right hip and plugs it into the Deepscan's helm.

The old repair droid takes a few moments to enjoy the mind expanding experience of sending its Code into the vessel's computer core. After verifying that the Deepscan's remained on course, R-LE-1 turns its head to face Jaess at the communications console. "So that you are aware, I've taken three of the six blaster pistols, their spare power packs, the two fragmentation grenades and the deactivated T.R.A.P. unit and concealed them within my chassis. If we are captured by either the empire or some other group such concealed weaponry may prove crucial to engineering our escape." The patina stained droid pauses to allow the female operative to respond.

A proximity alarm beeps softly from the helm console. Without turning to look at it R-LE-1 continues; "Our ETA is now less than one minute. I am transferring communications and shield control to your console now." Immediately, the display screen in front of Jaess blinks to life and begins displaying a cross section of the shuttle with the shield generator and communications array's operating status. Tilting its head to regard the woman's uniform, R-LE-1 silently begins counting down the seconds until their return to normal space. "Please prepare yourself for the return to normal space." After a slight pause, R-LE-1 asks: "Does it feel uncomfortable for you to be wearing an imperial uniform after having defected?"

Jaess steels herself, buckling into the chair for the return to normal space. With command of communications and weapons at her fingertips, she takes a deep breath and permits herself a jittery sigh before falling into character and smiling. When Arley speaks she looks over at him, an eyebrow raised.
"They don't know I've defected yet..." Realising a moment later that the droid is speaking to her, not her character, she smirks and looks away, shaking her head in mild embarrasment.
Still in her best approximation of Lt. Mason's voice, still looking away, she confides, "I never wore a uniform in the ISB. You weren't supposed to know I was an imperial agent. That would have defeated the purpose. I was a spy and an assassin- you never know I'm there until you're dead." Though she speaks in Triss' intination and pitch, her voice sounds hollow and empty as she explains.

She falls silent as the hyperdrive timer slowly ticks down.

"At least I didn't take the uniform off a corpse," she adds quietly, before they return to realspace.

The patina stained droid continues to watch Jaess, its single photoreceptor focused on her even when she looks away. An awkward pause follows the woman's odd change of demeanor as R-LE-1 continues to stare at Jaess. Finally it says: "I've never personally dealt with an assassin before. Most organics seem to prefer to distance themselves from their killing. As I understand it, some cultures consider murder a deplorable and savage act. I am curious about your experiences and how they've affected you. Perhaps we could speak of it more after our mission."

R-LE-1 turns back to face the cockpit window to look at the streaking stars outside. "Exiting hyperspace now." Once its internal chronometer indicates the appropriate moment has come, by an act of will alone, the old droid disengages the hyperdrive engine. Outside, the stretched out filaments of light shrink down to a stationary starfield once more. "Engaging sublight engines. Bringing the enhanced sensors online. Agent Talori, please verify for the presence of imperial communications in the area as well as the Dawnspringer's distress signal." Once more, by act of will, the motionless droid fires up the shuttle's conventional engines and then reaches out with its enhanced senses into the nether regions of wildspace searching for planetary bodies, starships or whatever may be out here.

Jaess brings up the Deepscan's comm systems, searching local space for imperial communications signals and distress beacons. She relays any signals found to the speakers and holoprojector at the helm, keeping her own comm lines silent.

The Deepscan had barely pulled out of hyperspace when a gigantic asteroid went shooting accross her nose, nearly clipping the shuttle. As the ship comes out of hyperspace and narrowly misses a passing asteroid Jaess winces, expecting impact, and is pleasantly surprised to remain intact. Arlee didn't need any sophisticated sensors to tell him that R3-L7's calculations about asteroid fields was correct. Luckily, the one that nearly hit their craft seemed to be a rogue, as directly in front of them a safe distance away were the fringes of a thick belt of space rocks ringing a blue-green planet.

Immediately as this dawned on them however, the comms unit crackled into life, the viewscreen showing the image of the stereotypical Imperial Officer. "ICS Interdictor to Deepscan 37, you're 30 minutes late, explain yourself."

The 'radar' screen finished its inital scan of the area, revealing that the space surrounding the asteroid-shielded planet was filled with Imperial spacecraft. The presence of dozens of Deepscan-class shuttles, TIE Patrol Craft, several Light Cruisers, and one very intimidating Star Destroyer somehow made Jaess feel less than secure.

Datum: We have arrived only a half hour behind schedule.
Considering the hours long stopover at the Reliant station our
hyperspace jump must have been much more efficient than that
of the imperial fleet's. Quite gratifying.

Arley quickly adjusts the shuttle's course to avoid any other asteroids while keeping close to their assigned flightplan. Before Jaess can activate the comm to reply to the unidentified officer's inquiry, Arley calmly says: "How rude. Perhaps you should politely inquire how's he's misidentified our vessel as Deepscan 37 when our transponder signal clearly identifies us as Deepscan 39..."

As the ICS Interdictor hails them, however, her blood runs cold. She resists the urge to glance sideways at the LE unit as it speaks, waiting until it finishes to press the button to open the comm channel. "Deepscan-39 to ICS Interdictor, we hit an uncharted gravity well en route and had to re-plot our course, sir. We came out of hyperspace hard and had to perform a few minor repairs before we jumped again. We're fully operational and ready to start our assigned scanning run, sir."

The patina stained droid uses the sensor data to confirm their spacial position and to validate or adjust their return hyperspace jump as necessary should an expedient departure prove crucial considering the imperial presence nearby. R-LE-1 then begins sweeping the star system for any non imperial vessels of hyperdrive engine signatures, desperately trying to locate the errant Dawnsprinter.

With a half hour's lead it seems likely that an imperial vessel
will locate the Dawnsprinter ahead of us. Our only hope is that
my Code will once again prove more efficient than theirs.
May the Code be with us.

She leaves out who she is and why the Comm Officer isn't responding in her place, hoping that the officer on the bridge of the Interdictor doesn't know enough to be suspicious. Hoping that no one on that bridge will recognise her voice, dispite the alterations.

"Noted, Deepscan. Be prepared to deliver a copy of your ship's records upon completion of your duties. There has been a change of plans concerning your pre-assigned flightpath. Since you are late, we have already assigned a seperate craft to take over your scan patrol. The Admiral would instead like an evaluation of the unidentified planet's mineral composition, so you will be landing and performing a deep crust scan. Specific coordinates are in transmission. ICS Interdictor out." The image blipped to nothing, and the Deepscan's flight computer recieved a data packet containing landing coordinates.

R-LE-1 mentally sifts through the unnamed planet's geographical information provided by the Deepscan's improved sensors and compares it with the landing coordinates transmitted to them. As it begins plotting an approach vector, the patina stained droid turns to regard Jaess with its large single photoreceptor. "My spatial scans reveal no trace of a small transport such as the Dawnsprinter within range. If it was in orbit, considering the number of vessels searching for it, it would most likely been have been located and tractored into the Star Destroyer's docking bay by now. Since we will be expected to proceed to these planetary coordinates I suggest that we follow these instructions to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. We can continue to scan this system and the planet's surface during out approach. It's possible that the vessel crashed on the surface and that we may yet find it. Do you concur agent Talori?"

Even as it is speaking, Arley reaches out with its code and begins altering their course to safely carry them up and over the asteroid belt. "If you are unable to locate the Dawnsprinter's distress beacon perhaps you could listen in on imperial communications to determine what they've already discovered in this system and what they yet hope to find."

Assuming Jaess has no objections to Arley's plan, the old droid continues to carry them towards the planet's nearest pole. While passing in close proximity to the asteroids the repair droid brings the Deepscan's powerful sensors to bear on the huge ring of boulders, attempting to discover any signs of a significant mass of refined metals that may betray the presence of a hiding vessel. Once past the belt, Arley begins maneuvering the Deepscan into a wide arcing orbit that will allow it to sweep as much of the planet's surface as possible with its improved sensors before hitting the atmosphere. All the while, the patina stained droid sits motionless in the pilot's chair, mentally sifting through sensor readings searching for the telltale signs of the space-warping signature of the Dawnsprinter's hyperdrive engine.

Finally, forced to make their atmospheric entry or risk arousing imperial suspicion, Arley reduces their relative speed as the Deepscan dips down and begins to touch the planet's atmosphere. "Please angle the shields for atmospheric entry and brace yourself for turbulence."

Jaess sighs with relief as she closes down the comm channel, letting her tenseness fade as she relaxes into her seat. As the LE unit speeks to her she turns her head to listen, nodding slowly as it explains its sensor findings and gives its suggested course of action.

"Makes sense," she tells it when asked her opinion. "I wonder how many ships they have on the ground already." She speaks in her own voice again, hoping that no further deception is necessary and mere avoidance will suffice from there on out.

Her hand is already in motion when Arley suggests eavesdropping on the Imperials, and she turns the comm station on to recieve transmissions on every Imperial channel the ship can detect, including some that she had used in her time as an ISB operative that might still be in use. Any covert transmissions will probably be encrypted, but there's a chance that the LE unit could figure it out, or at least recoed it for later analysis.

When they reach the planet she checks her restraints and angles the shields as requested, protecting the shuttle's hull from the friction of reentry, glad the droid gave her some warning this time.

"I'm currently reviewing the scan data taken during our orbital pass. It should reveal the presence of any imperial vessels present there. Hopefully we'll also find some sign of the Dawnsprinter." The patina stained droid pauses momentarily before continuing. "Perhaps you are unaware, but now that we've entered this planet's gravity-well we can no longer enter hyperspace without first returning to orbit. We will not be able to flee should the empire discover that we are impostors and seek to attack us while we are on the planet."

Jaess considers this for a moment before nodding asking in her faux-Triss voice, "Hadn't occured to me, but now that you mention it... I know these sensors are built to detect ships, but can they scan for lifeforms too?"

Arley continues to regard Jaess with its peripheral sensors for a moment before answering. "Lifeforms specifically? Generally not, no. Our conventional sensors simply detect the presence of objects according to their size and shape. The Deepscan's enhanced sensors are specifically calibrated to extend our range and to identify ships like the Dawnsprinter, distress beacons and the space-warping signature of hyperdrive engines."

The Deepscan begins to vibrate and shake slightly as it plunges ever deeper into the planet's thickening atmosphere. The patina stained droid continues to fly towards their assigned landing spot while slowing the craft down and keeping to a high altitude to ensure their sensors can sweep as much of the planet's surface as possible.

Without turning, Arley begins speaking again: "We should probably discuss now, while we have the chance, what we will do should we discover that imperial agents have already retrieved the hyperdrive engine." The old repair droid pauses to turn its head to face the female sitting at the communications console. "Since we are grossly outnumbered and outmatched it seems unlikely that we could successfully accomplish our original mandate of retrieving the engine and escaping. We cannot however allow the empire to retain such a superior hyperdrive engine if it does indeed exist for the Rebel Alliance would quickly fall. If such a situation were to develop it would appear that we will have little choice but to attempt to destroy the engine in a surprise attack, most likely sacrificing ourselves by doing so." Arley pauses to gauge Jaess reaction to its fatalistic conclusion.

"Now you know why I wanted to know if they could detect us on the ground." She shakes her head, "I doubt I'll have to get myself killed to destroy the hyperdrive. I know how to move about unseen, and I can probably get explosives planted without them detecting me at all, or even better, with a well planned diversion- they won't even be looking for me. Then again, there might be design specs in the ship's computers that we'd need to copy and destroy, and we'd probably want to recover or destroy any storage medium that the Imperials have with them, just in case they found it first. This won't be an easy mission, but the explosives will help lots. I'm hoping we can get the cover of darkness on our side, too."

"I doubt I'll have to get myself killed to be successful," she says again, "It's just unlikley that we'll then be able to leave the planet until the Empire clears out and we can get picked up by alliance ships. I have a feeling that our transport will be bombarded from orbit, so we should be thinking of a plan 'Besh'."

Jaess sifts through the Imperial communications as she converstates with the droid, trying to sift out any useful bits of information from the general chatter. Eventually, she picks up a signal that is moving towards the planet just ahead of them. The computer adjusts the frequency pickup until the garbled speech becomes coherent.

"No way, I want to be the first off the ship. First to set foot on an unknown world and all that." One voice says behind classic Stormtrooper Helmer-induced staticy voice.

"You idiot, weren't you listening during the briefing?" Another replies.

"Of course I was. All five seconds of it as they rustled us out of our bunks and on to this clunker of a transport."

"Well, there is that, but there are already people on the surface. Have been there for nearly thirty years."

"Thirty years? Hell, the system was only just discovered!"

"By us, but from what the Commander says, a refugee transport probably went down there during the Clone Wars after a botched hyperspace jump."

"Well, damn. Ok. First Stormtrooper to set foot on the uncharted world."

"Good luck with that, we're in the back."

"...Damn. Well, at least I'll get to kill something to vent my frustrations. No survivors, right?"

"They want us to leave one or two alive for interrogation, but other than that it's open season on anything that moves, anything that looks capable of movement, and anything that used to be moving but isn't now, just in case it's faking. The not moving thing, that is."

"Stop thinking, you're going to hurt yourself."

The comm turns back to static.

"...Then again, maybe I will get myself killed," she says with a sigh after listening to the Stormtroopers talk.

Angcuru

First Post
CH. 17 - The Plunge

"Are you sure about that?" Miera replies. "I can probably get her to bring them near a specific place, but after that there's no way of controlling them."

"Let's not worry about that yet."

"Alright, it's getting dark, so they'll be waking up soon. I hope you know where you're going with this" Miera says. She settles back into her seat, closing her eyes with a look of practiced, relaxed concentration.

"We'll be back well before they get there, probably by half an hour or so. Dawnsprinter out." she says, deactivating the comm, wanting to avoid comm traffic as much as possible, some equipment, specialized equipment, might actually be good enough to pick it up.

"So I should try and find one of these crystals for myself, one that I can feel through the force?" Kia asks with a sigh, "I doubt the Imps are going to give me time to come back here long enough to look around before we have to evacuate your people from the caves. I just hope that whatever we capture will have enough life support capacity to get everyone off world. It just depends on the type of landing craft they use. A Lamb can get maybe 20 passengers, with a crew of 6. Which is like half of your people, or they might just bring in an Assault Shuttle, which could fit pretty much everyone, but would mean 4 squads of Stormies, not to mention enough armament to turn the Dawnsprinter into flaming wreckage. I have a bad feeling about this..."

"I doubt that you will have the time to do so while we remain under threat from the Imperials, but there are other places where one can find force crystals. How we're going to handle capturing an Imperial transport, avoiding annihilation, and fleeing through a system-wide barricade of warships though," Kia thinks she sees a slight tic of nervousness appear in Miera's face, "I can't be sure."

The chronometer Miera had set up on one of the free consoles ticks, down, showing ETAs for the Imperial shuttle and the Dawnsprinter side by side.

Dawnsprinter - Five minutes
Imperial Ship - Fifteen minutes

***​

"A good idea, Aasan said with a nod, then went to look around the general area. He tried to find the best place for an Imperial craft to set down and offload troops, and identify any kind of cover that was nearby. Getting in that ship behind the stormtroopers wouldn't be easy..."We need to position everyone a good distance away from wherever the ship sets down. The troopers will look for some kind of cover, and they'll probably try to stay close to their ship. If we can get a little help from the locals, we still need to be able to draw the troops away from the ship and get in there to take out any pilots before they can send a distress signal."

"I like the way you think, Aasan." Arias grins. "Remind me of myself back in by wartime days. Right, then. The Imperials will probably plan on landing as close to the Dawnsprinter as possible, which would be just outside the village. Aasan, Kal, you two should find a patch of vegetation to hide behind until they land. Jorran, Adrial and I will divert their attention from you. Then Kal, you disable their communications array, which it will be Aasan's job to point out to you. After that any plan we have is likely to fall apart, as plans are wont to do but we'll try and take one of the officers alive." As Arias finishes speaking, the last hints of sunlight hiding themselves over the horizon, leaving pale moonlight their only illumination.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Kal spoke up. "We have what, fifteen minutes? How long until they can see us...or we can see them for that matter?"

"I"m not sure exactly, Kal. But considering all the very tall, thick trees that tend to grow around here, we'll see them when they see us." Arias replies. "Fifteen minutes, right Meira?" he says into the commlink.

"Right."

"Splendid."

***​
Kia watches the seconds til the estimated arrival of the imperials tick away, it was going to be tight, whether or not the empire would be able to visually detect the villiage before she got the ship settled back in again. "I think we should leave the transponder in the villiage when we leave, it might buy us a bit of extra time to slip over the horizon and get the planet between us and the fleet before we slip away. After this, it'd be too hot to run her as the Dawnsprinter anyway, just get a new transponder and register the ship again."

It's a close call, but Kia's trusty ship pulls through. Just as she sets down, the Dawnsprinter's short-range passive radar starts to pick up ship signatures approaching from the east.

"That is most certainly not good." Miera says, unbuckling herself and heading towards the ramp and out of the ship.

"So, Arias... what exactly is our diversion? Talking to them? Convincing the local wildlife to cause some chaos? There have been suggestions, but I think I've missed what exactly we decided." Jorran asked.

In the dim moonlight, the sight of the recently arrived Dawnsprinter is complemented by the appearance of half a dozen red, long-necked, hugely fanged dog-like creatures that melt out of the shadows and wait patiently in front of Arias. Adrial lets out an anxious 'EEP!', but otherwise retains her composure.

"Say hello to our distraction." Arias says, indicating the gathered Nightstalkers.

"Sithspit" Kia curses "We have 2 incoming, ships here...an Asault Shuttle, and a Lamda Class Shuttle. We can probably expect a good number of Stormies from the Assault shuttle since it was sent down to pacify and capture a settlement. Lord knows they'd need to pack em in there to be cost effective." she comms out to Arias'sgroup, hoping they'd be able to get inside the assault shuttle quickly, the Dawnsprinter was no match for such a thing, on the otherhand, she might be able to take a Lambda Shuttle, especially if the shuttle was caught by surprise, with its shields down.

Kia typed in aquick command, searching the Dawnsprinter's police databases for the Specs for the the imperial craft, hoping to find a weakness, or an idea of what they could do.

A quick search of the CORSEC database and Kia finds a detailed schematic of a typical Imperial Assault Shuttle. There is little detail in the internal workings of the ship, but extensive notation concerning the external armanents, armor plating, normative shield strength, etc. There is also a listing of suggested tactics of evasion and combat maneuvers, but only a few lines concerning the craft while on the ground:

While the shuttle is EXTREMELY dangerous while in flight, it is unusually vulnerable while on the ground. Our forces rarely faced a ground landing of one of these craft, but debriefings indicate that the major weapons systems are routinely powered down while the ship is grounded and the energy rerouted to the shielding systems. As yet we have not had an opportunity to attempt a capture, but this quirk could prove useful in a coordinated effort to seize one given the chance.

Those gathered outside of the Dawnsprinter begin to hear the unmistakable sound of a starship approaching. Arais stiffens momentarily at Kia's news concerning multiple inbound ships.

An alarm sounds from the chronometer. The Imperials have arrived. Just as Kia looks out the cockpit to see the shuttle hovering, slowly settling to the ground, a spotlight shines out from near the front of the craft, flooding the Dawnsprinter's cockpit.

"This changes things completely. The Imperials could be sending in another group of ground troops in the other shuttle, which likely means they will try and encircle the village."

Just as he finishes speaking, a large, bulky ship clears the treetops and slows to a stop approximately thirty meters from the Dawnsprinter, and begins its descent to land.

"Damn!" Arais swears. "I thought we had more time than this. Kal, Aasan, time to move. Get as close as you can without getting spotted, we'll try and keep their attention on us for as long as we can."

"The good news is that when the ships on the ground, they tend to power down the weapons and put the energy into shields, meaning they wont be destroying the Dawnsprinter. With that thing out of the fight, I might be able to handle the Lambda. I'll wait for your go signal." Kia says, glad that she had been thinking ahead and had the shields and weapons at full power and ready.

***​

"There may not be an opportunity for the type of infiltration mission you're describing if the empire already has the Dawnsprinter or its hyperdrive aboard one of their transports or capital ships." Arlee ponders. "They may very well have located and secured it before we arrived. If so, our only chance to deprive the empire of the opportunity to study the hyperdrive may be to destroy the transport or capital ship in a suicide attack. It is of course a worst case scenario."

"Well, crazier stunts have been pulled. If it's in the Interdictor, we have an advantage, though. I know that ship well, and they're unlikley to alter it too much over a single intelligence leak. I hope it doesn't come to that, though. It seems like it's still on the ship, and I'm hoping we can at least find it as they're finding it, and they'll be distracted. We're lucky that Stormtroopers aren't the most observant soldiers, even with their helmets."

Shortly after the comm signature from the troopship dies out, the Deepscan's long-range sensors pick up a signal from the visible edge planet ahead. It reads out "YT-1300 Class Transport Ship, designation Dawnsprinter" before fading out with the rotation of the planet.

The patina stained droid tracks the Imperial troop transport, extrapolates its flight vector and calculates the probable location of the settlement to which they're heading. It then refocuses the Deepscan's sensors on those coordinates to attempt and identify any buildings or large masses of refined metal in that location that may prove to be the Dawnsprinter.

"I'm detecting the transponder signal of the Dawnsprinter just over the horizon" R-LE-1 carefully focuses the Dawnsprinter's enhanced sensors in that direction to locate its point of origin. According to Arlee's readings, the Dawnsprinter's IFF signature puts it smack dab in the middle of the projected location of the settlement. Conventiently, the Deepscan's assigned landing spot is near these areas, and a note in their objective List indicates that due to readings indicating dense vegetation covering most of the planet, they are allowed to deviate from their course as necessary to locate a proper landing site to begin their readings.

Fine-tuning the Deepscan's sensors on the projected location of the settlement, Arlee gets a clearer signal of the Dawnsprinter. Strangely enough, the scan doesn't reveal the particular metallic signatures one would expect when trying to sense a ship. Similarly, his scan of the settlement doesn't reveal anything particularly enlightening. Arlee detects no telltale signatures of structures in the sense of electronics, architecture and the like, only a clearing in the heavy forest, wherein, according to the scan, sits the Dawnsprinter. Going by the size of the clearing, which scans as less than five hundred meters in diameter, the settlement cannot be of any significant size, even if the residents are tightly packed.

"The Imperials can't have missed that. How long until we can see it?" She watches the planet growing larger over the nose of the shuttle, thinking to herself.

"With tele-optic sensors? Approximately five minutes and twenty three seconds."

The old droid's heuristic processor, networked into the Deepscan's computer core, continues too race as it sifts through terabytes of raw sensor data. With but a thought, Arley brings the Deepscan's conventional sensors online to work in parallel with the vessel's enhanced sensors. Outside the cockpit's window, the black starfield begins to lighten into a light cyan as the vessel nears its mark. Somewhere ahead, out of sight, was a similar vessel carrying imperial troopers spoiling for a fight.

"What are the chances that the imperials in orbit won't notice if we open fire on the Stormtroopers and their shuttle after they've landed? It's not subtle, but it could prove a wonderful distraction. Especially if we could commandeer or down the other shuttle."

"The chances that they could detect the blaster fire directly is actually rather remote. This vessel is equipped with some of the empire's best sensory systems and we are unable to yet sense any signs of the settlement aside from a large five hundred meter clearing and we are much closer to it than any other imperial vessels in orbit above. An explosion would have to be of several orders of magnitude larger than the troop transport's destruction would cause for a vessel in orbit to detect it directly.

Unfortunately though the troopers aboard could transmit a report while under attack, thus alerting the vessels in orbit of our treachery. It would be possible to jam their transmissions before we attacked, however each imperial vessel including this one is equipped with a transponder which allows all imperial vessels to identify and track each other while in the same system. That is how the officer on the ICS Interdictor was able to identify us as soon as we entered this system. If we were to destroy the other vessel or jam its transmissions its transponder signal would be stopped and the other imperial vessels would immediately seek to investigate why."

Arley turns its head to face Jaess. "I'm afraid I'm getting rather unclear readings from the settlement site... if there is one. I'm uncertain how the empire concluded that there was a settlement there in the first place; I can't yet detect very much at this range. It must be quite small and doesn't appear to have any significant technology or industry. I can only conclude that some of the other Deepscans must have performed some low altitude scans of the area before our arrival."

"That makes sense. Do you think we could rig up something to transmit a false transponder signal? It could be useful. Then again, it would be even better if I could board the other shuttle and overpower the pilot and communications officer. Then we could attack them with two ships, and keep them from transmitting any messages. A communications jammer would be great, here. I doubt that the other transport will remain on the ground long, though. I suspect it'll drop it's cargo and bolt until they need a pickup."

"It's possible. We'd need a second communications array with a significant range encoded to transmit the correct IIF code. I believe there is a collection of spare components for this vessel in the aft cargo compartments. Among them may be a secondary emergency communications array that I could convert to the task. It would have to be activated relatively close to the other vessel however, and almost imediately after the troop transport's stopped transmiting."

With the Deepscan's sensors trained on the settlement, Arlee wastes no time once he beings to get readings. Visual sensors pull up very little initially, as night has fallen. Optimal gamma adjustment brings into view a cluster of small hut-like structures surrounded by a thick wooden wall. In the center of the clearing, Arlee can make out the rough outline of a YT-1300 Corellian transport. Thermal scans indicate that the engines are hot, and outside of the walls there appear to be five humanoid heat signatures clustered together. The interior of the settlement is surprisingly devoid of life.

"I'd better get dressed," she says, unstrapping and rising from her seat. "I don't want to be late to the party. If they buzz us, just break the optical transmitter and play them your Triss voice. They're probably dim enough to buy it long enough for us to get in." With that she heads back toward the cargo hold, stripping out of the imperial officer's uniform as she goes. In the back she puts the remainder of her shadowsuit on, mask and all, and slides her visor back onto her forhead. She checks her weapons and cracks open the container of explosives, removing six of the diminutive explosives and strapping them across her shoulders and hips with one of the load bearing harnesses included with their demolitions pack.

Even as it speaks, the patina stained droid is accessing the ship's cargo manifest and locates the components necessary to jury-rig an IFF transponder. With a moment's attention Arley accesses the communications console through the computer core and records the characteristics of the assault shuttle's transponder IFF signal. As Jaess is rising out of her chair, the old repair droid turns its attention to the helm and uploads a flight program to carry the Deepscan near the clearing. Before physically disconnecting itself from the pilot's console, Arley sends a final mental command to extinguish the vessel's exterior running lights and to dim the cabin's illumination. The repair unit then rises from the pilot's chair turns and heads back into the passenger compartment after the human woman. "We should get to work then. We don't have much time."

Arriving in back, the patina stained droid ignores the changing woman and heads towards the cargo compartments, pulls two of them open and begins pulling out the needed components. With a soft whir and click it's right hip compartment pops open and extends a tool which Arley takes up into its right hand and brings to bear on the spare transmitter array. "I've detected the presence of the Dawnsprinter, or at least a YT-1300 Corellian transport with an identical transponder signal. It is in the center of the settlement with its engines active but no readings of a hyperdrive aboard but with an some type of energy cannon addition. The settlement itself consists of a few dozen small wooden huts, all seemingly abandoned, and the whole surrounded by a wooden palisade. Outside the wall are five humanoids closely huddled together."

"It makes sense that the hyperdrive wouldn't be powered on. We're withing the gravity well of the planet, and it's most likley damaged. If it even exists. That blaster cannon won't be much use to them unless they get off the ground... Energy cannon? It's not an ion cannon, is it? That might be useful. It won't matter if they stay huddled up like that, though. They'll be blown to pieces if they don't get moving. Not our problem, though. If we can get or blow the hyperdrive, prisoners are just an added bonus."

"No, it isn't." As it talks, the patina stained droid's hands are a blur as components come together, connections are fastened and settings are calibrated. Even as it works, Arley watches the half-dressed human with its peripheral sensors but keeps its head down out of courtesy for the organic's sense of modesty; if she suffers from one. Finally, as Jaess slides on her shadowsuit, the droid looks up and continues: "We're presently running dark, though our own transponder is still active so the troop transport will be aware of our location should they care to check. They won't visually see us coming though; out of sight out of mind. I'll be dropping you off in the forest near the clearing's edge through the canopy."

"Good plan. Keep low and stay out of sight, but be ready to come pick me up if I need a quick extraction. And don't forget the weapons systems if we need a distraction. Setting some trees on fire might not be subtle, but it'll draw their attention."

Finishing the assembled transponder array, Arley slides aside a small panel hiding a touch pad and a computer port. Reaching down, the old droid pulls out its computer cable from its hip and plugs it into the port. Within seconds the unit is programmed with the troop transport's IFF code. Arley disconnects the scomplink cable and slides it back into its hip. "As soon as the assault shuttle's transponder is deactivated or destroyed, pull back this panel and tap the green key; it'll instantly begin transmitting an identical IFF signal." The droid slides the panel back and flips over the cylindrical device and points at a long flat surface on its backside. "I've fastened a magnetic panel to the device in case you need to attach it to something metallic quickly; just slap it onto bare metal and it will remain affixed." Motioning to the cylinder's bottom, the old droid releases a catch and causes three short tripod legs to spring out of the device's base. "If placing it on the ground deploy these legs and set the device upright." Arley refolds the device's legs, reaches down into the pile of materials collected at its feet, pulls out a short strap with clasps at either end, quickly snaps it to the device and helps Jaess slide it on over her shoulder.

The old repair droid pauses and focuses its single glowing photoreceptor on Jaess. An akward moment of silence passes between the pair. Arley lifts its arm and reaches out towards the woman's head. At first it appears that Arley is going to touch Jaess' face but instead reaches into her open face mask and keys her intergrated comlink, checking its frequency. "

When the LE unit reaches up to touch her, she pulls back, raising an eyebrow. She lets it reach a digit into her hood, her right hand drifting to the handle of her blaster. "I'm hoping that this thing will be nothing but dead weight. You got it together pretty fast. I hope it works, if we need it."

Arley stares at the woman with its expressionless face for a moment before answering."It will work."
"Although our communications will by encrypted, it's possible that they will be intercepted and decrypted. You should avoid identifying either of us, our purpose or compromise the Rebel Alliance's involvment in this matter."

"I know what I'm doing," she snaps, "I've been doing this since I was a kid." She pulls back and brushes it's hand away, giving it a dirty look.

The patina stained droid pulls its hand back and pauses again before continuing. "I will remain aloft until you determine that it is safe for me to land the Deepscan. You are entering an uncertain situation however with possibly two unfriendly factions arraigned against us. If you are captured and/or being somehow coerced you should use a code word to validate or invalidate any statements or instructions you transmit to me. A true statement or instruction should include the word 'Besh'. A false statement or instruction should include the word 'Cresh'. Should you wish to signal the need for military support or a diversion then simply say 'Dorn' and name a target."

"That's unecesaary. You can turn the recieving volume up, and you'll be able to hear anyone speaking to me. I doubt it'll hurt your ears. If I get caught, I'll either talk my way out of it, or make a break for it. If I get killed, feel free to detonate these explosives. 'Should give whoever got me a nasty surprise. There's another detonator in the crate, and I'm keyed to one through six. And you'd be better use to me in the air, where you could move quickly. I'd rather you didn't land if you could avoid it."

"That may be so, but simply hearing what is happening around you may not be sufficient for me to judge. I will be depending on your personal assessment to determine what is required."

The patina stained droid watches the dark clad operative drop down from the boarding ramp and disappear into the darkness below. Arley reaches out and taps the control switch on the wall causing the ramp to rise and close again before stepping back into the passenger area. A few moments of effort and the old droid returns the cargo containers and spare components to their compartments, but not before retrieving the second detonator that Jaess mentioned. With it in hand Arley turns and walks back to the pilot's console, sits down, leans back and plugs its scomplink cable into the computer port before it. Reaching out with its Code, the repair unit links its mind with the Deepscan's computer core, feeling the terrain and skies around the vessel with its sensors. Slowly the Deepscan, cloaked in shadows rises once more into the skies as its wings unfold and lock down into place. With but a thought, R-LE-1 reconfigures the shield, weapon and communications systems to bring them back under its direct control as it begins to monitor the airwaves for any communications.

With a gentle shake, the Deepscan slows to a stop. A soft shudder and hum starts as the repulsorlift engine beneath their feet surge to life, allowing the vessel to hover in place. Following its flight program, the vessel begins to lower towards the treeline as its wings fold up outside reducing the Deepscan's profile. The patina stained droid turns around and walks over to the companionway to the cockpit just as the access ramp under foot begins to lower downward revealing the outline of shadowy treetops below. Arley stands on the edge of the precipice. "We've arrived at your drop point. The clearing is due west of here about 150 meters away." The droid points in the appropriate direction. "May the Code be with you agent Talori."

Jaess gives the droid an odd look before lowering her visor with a quick nod of her head and lowering herself down the extended boarding ramp, dropping to the ground below and tumbling to her feet before disappearing into a shadow.

Jaess makes her way through the foliage, a stray footprint and faint breeze the only signs of her ghostly passage. The landscape brightly illuminated for her through her visor, she proceeds silently towards the small settlement and the troop transport inbound for it. She scans all imperial channels though her hood's intgrated comlink, listening as she creeps forward to try to hear the troops in the assault shuttle, or anyone else who might be lurking nearby. Keeping behind cover, she scans the area for the lights and sounds of an Imperial Assault Shuttle, hoping to find it on or at least near the ground.

Angcuru

First Post
That sums up the posts taken from actual gameplay. The rest will be entirely my own so there will quite likely be a sudden shift in writing style. I should get around to a new installment/chapter sometime this week.

Angcuru

First Post
18 - First Blood

Floodlights from the Imperial Assault Shuttle focused on the Dawnsprinter, lighting up the scene as the craft slowly extended its landing gear and touched down. Arias and Miera, the only people in plain sight, stood waiting at the end of the Dawnsprinter's cargo ramp, clearly visible in the shuttle's light. They exchanged a quick glance, acknowledging a mutual feeling of Deja Vu as the Imperial Craft's ramp lowered to touch the ground and Stormtroopers poured out in perfect formation. An Officer clad in perfect black, bereft of any insignia, stood ahead of the grunts, approaching the pair as the Stormtroopers came to a halt.

"How fares the Republic?" Arias said just as the officer opened his mouth to speak. Miera would have gaped in shock if she did not know better. It would have taken a complete ignoramus to miss the clear note of sarcasm in his tone.

The darkly clothed officer's expression revealed that this taunt had caught him off guard. Imperial discipline showed through, however.

"The Republic has long since faded into memory. The galaxy is an Empire now." He spoke as if addressing a child.

"You'll have to forgive my ignorance, being stuck here has hardly been conductive to my awareness of current events." Arias replied smoothly. "I must express my thanks for your swift arrival."

"Doing one's duty is hardly worthy of thanks." A slight smirk appeared on the officer's face. "Speaking of which, I must know if your ship is capable of hyperspace travel. There is a war going on and I would much prefer if you and your people vacated this planet with the utmost haste. We could of course not wish for civilians to become caught up in the fighting." At his words, the stormtroopers began to exchange glances with one another. Though attempting to recognizing expression through those faceless helmets was futile, that something was amiss was quite obvious. Though that might just be due to the bones lying all over the ground from the other night's events.

"I believe it is, but I must ask the pilot to be sure." Miera said "If you would come with me, we can speak with her and confirm our ship's flightworthiness."

"Excellent." The Officer almost smiled at how smoothly events were progressing. At a gesture from Miera, he and two troopers follow her up the Dawnsprinter's ramp and towards the cockpit.

A few of the troopers, obviously unnerved, began to look around. Arias simply stood facing them, absentmindedly cracking his knuckles.

***​

Are you in position yet, Kal? Miera's voice sounded unbidden within the young man's mind. He almost stood up from his concealed position within the foliage surrounding the village, but Aasan quickly pulled him down. Jorran and Adrial looked at him as if he was a crazy person. It was always unnerving for him when his masters communicated with telepathy. Kal responded with a mental nod.

Good, I have their commander occupied, but he won't stay under my influence for long, he must have been trained to resist manipulation through the force. Make your move as soon as you can.

"Right." Kal spoke aloud and readied his lightsaber.

"Did you say something?" Aasan said, concentrating on the large group of Stormtroopers through his electrobinoculars.

"We need to act now." Kal said. "As soon as you can point out their communications array I'll try and disable it."

"I've had my eye on it for almost a minute now." Aasan kept the binocs to his goggles and pointed towards a small dish array located just behind the cockpit. "Their shields project one standard meter from the hull, so you'll have to get in close. It will feel like you are trying to wade through very cold water for a few seconds before you get through. Once you do, that saber of yours should be able to disable it with its alternate setting."

"Good to know, keep me covered." Kal carefully, slowly stood up.

"We'll back you up." Jorran said, standing up with him. Adrial nodded and did the same.

"I'd better not have to. This whole plan is blown if you get spotted before disabling that thing." Aasan put down his binocs and raised his blaster rifle, focusing it on the closest stormtrooper. "Now get going."

***​

Jaess watched the whole scene through the green tint of her NVGs, very well hidden not ten meters from the assault shuttle and quite perplexed at what she saw. She had recognized that uniform immediately. Pitch black, no rank insignia, the uniform of Imperial Intelligence Officers.

"Agent Talori, what have you observed so far?" The comm unit in her stealth helm crackled to life and almost broker her concentration.

"That woman lead the officer onto that ship while the Storntroopers just stood there. Very, very out of the ordinary." She whispered back, slightly annoyed.

"This may be your opportunity to board the shuttle unnoticed."

"Gee, I hadn't thought of that." Jaess responded sarcastically. "Do you have any advice for little old me?"

"Not until the scenario changes. I will keep aware of the situation in orbit until such a time. R-LE-1 out." Arlee was of course a big help, but his inablity to grasp the obvious could be frustrating.

Jaess returned to her observation, evaluating the situation and weighing her options. It was unlikely that she would be noticed before reaching the Assault Shuttle, since the stormtroopers were all still in formation facing forward. Reaching the ramp would be no problem, but getting aboard without notice would be tricky. On a whim, she changed her goggles to infrared to be sure before taking action. It was then that she saw three people, one of them quite short, approaching the shuttle slowly and carefully from the edge of the forest, not all that far from where she had positioned herself. Jaess quickly switched back to night vision and looked them over. Two men, one middle aged, the other in his late teens, both of average height, and a noticably short woman, probably in her thirties. All three of them carrying at the ready what looked like...lightsabers?

"Arlee, do the transmissions you intercepted say when the estimated time of the first crashlanding was?"

"It appears that said crashlanding occurred not long before the reformation of the Republic into the Empire." Arlee replied.

"Long enough ago for Jedi to have been on board?" Jaess asked.

"Agent Talori, while I acknowledge the chronological possiblity, this was a refugee ship. All available Jedi at the time of said crashlanding were occupied with the war..."

"Yeah yeah, I know, but it's possible, right?" Jaess replied, feeling exasperated.

"Not impossble, but improbable. Why do you ask? You should stay focused on the task at hand, Agent Talori." Arlee almost sounded like he was sighing.

"The three Jedi-looking types sneaking towards the Assault Shuttle made me a tiny bit curious." Having said that, Jaess began making her way towards the shuttle. Hopefully the three Jedi-looking types would provide a suitable distraction.

***​

"How did it feel, Kal?" Adrial asked from outside the shield.

"Remember that time I pushed you in the lake last winter?" Kal replied, rubbing his chest.

Adrial frowned.

"Yes, it was very cold indeed." Jorran grumbled, looking for a handhold on the shuttle. "Ah, this should do." He grabbed onto a ridge in the hull and pulled himself up a few feet off the gound, grabbing onto a second ridge with one hand and extending his hand to Kal.

"I hope this works." Kal said as he took Jorran's offered hand and was aided in his climb onto the top of the shuttle.

***​

"Yes sir, we are quite ready for hyperspace travel." Kia lied, doing her very best not to appear nervous as she stood near the ramp with Miera and the three Imperials.

"Most excellent, as soon as you have all of your people aboard we will escort you out of the system." The officer said with a seemingly forced smile followed by a twitch.

Kal, are you in place yet? I can't keep him distracted much longer. Miera thought to Kal. A positive sounding grunt replied in her mind. Now.

"Sir, you may want to order your soldiers back aboard their ship. The wildlife can become rather hostile at night." Miera 'warned' the officer.

"Is that so? We haven't had the opportunity to do a ecological survey-" The officer was interrupted by a commlink on his belt

"Sir! We have lost power to our communications!" A voice sounded. The officer blinked hard, and appared as if he had awoken from a very real dream.

"What the..." He looked around, as if he had just noticed Miera. He blinked again, and moved to draw his service pistol. "Tell the men to open fi-!"

Miera's lightsaber ignited and in one quick, fluid motion, two headless stormtroopers and one very unconscious Imperial Intelligence Officer rolled down the Dawnsprinter's loading ramp.

***​

Ensign Ricky felt something *clunk* against his boots, and looking down he saw a Stormtrooper Helmet staring up at him, sans body.

"OPEN FIRE!" The command sounded from his helmet's comm. He didn't didn't need that order to know to open up with his blaster on the very nasty looking creature that rushed out from the shadows. Easily two meters long, waist height, four-legged, with a long neck topped with a very fearsome beasial face. The blaster rifle sounded and one bolt was deflected harmlessly by the red scales of the creature that knocked him to the ground and soundly crushed his windpipe with three huge fangs. Five other such creatures had struck the formation of Stormtroopers, and five more troopers lay dead or dying on the ground.

The stormtroopers scattered, some of them firing upon the six nightstalkers, others taking up a defensive position at the shuttle ramp, and all of them needing fresh armor.

Several of the troopers set their sights on Arias and opened fire just as he brought his double bladed lightsaber to bear and effortlessly deflected the incoming blaster fire right back into their visors. There was almost a hush as realization of what had just happened dawned on the rest of the troopers...and Arias charged into the thick of the fighting. The first two troopers unfortunate to be in his way were neatly severed in half at the waist as he dove forward with the saber held parallel to the ground, another pair being parted of their legs at the knees as he hit the ground rolling, and parted from their agony with two quick thrusts as Arias righted himself and faced his next foes.

Miera charged down the ship's ramp and into the fray, sending a trooper flying hight into the air and spearing another through the heart with her blade. As if to complement her, Jorran and Kal jumped down from on top of the shuttle to join the fray. Jorran was steady enough to finish off a trooper wounded by one of the nightstalkers with a neat thrust, yet Kal stood transfixed by the carnage for a moment before snapping back into focus and following suit.

Another trooper near the Dawnsprinter was felled as Kia put her ship's anti-personnel E-Webs to use. She kept firing into the trooper formation, felling as many as entered her sights and her rate of fire would allow.

Adrial ran up from beside the shuttle and took up a position next to Miera, too busy deflecting bolts to take the offensive. A blaster bolt from the treeline streaked past her and struck a nearby trooper full in the chest. He fell back towards Adrial, her readied blade searing unbidden through his helm before he hit the ground.

***​

"I don't CARE what systems you have to bypass, just get the communications back online!" The pilot shouted to his copilot, his attention fixed on the communications menu before him.

"I'm doing all I can, but it looks like a mechanical problem!" He shouted back at his superior.

"Then go outside and FIX IT!"

"Are you insane!? YOU go out into that mess!" The copilot ground his teeth.

"I am giving you a direct order! Get that fixed or I'll see you demoted, is that perfectly clear?"

No response from the copilot. Apparently the gaping hole in the back of his head prevented any attempts at speech. The pilot gasped and tried to stand up, but black-clad arm gripped him about the neck, a sharp blade ready to cut his throat.

"Ack!" He struggled with his attacker, but their grip was too firm, and the blade was beginning to draw blood. "Who...who are you?"

"I'm the new pilot." Jaess responded.

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
Don't know how many readers I've got, and it doesn't matter too much right now since I'm writing this almost entirely for myself, but if anyone has an opinion: What do you think of how I divided up the latest installment? I'm trying to find a good fluid way of telling all the different characters' experiences while keeping it moving and not too clunky, and this is what I've come up with for the different groups.

Angcuru

First Post
19 - Intentions

Kal, Jorran, and Adrial stood tight back to back in a tight triangular formation to keep themselves covered from the incoming blaster fire. The three apprentice Sethi kept their defenses up, moving towards the closest group of stormtroopers who poured fire onto them as they approached, most blasts deflected by skillful manipulation of their lightsabers, and others missing entirely. As soon as they closed within melee range, the Sethi pounced on the stormtrooper formation that had taken cover from the Dawnsprinter's E-Webs.

Jorran dashed towards the nearest trooper, dodging a blast before his blade seared a neat furrow through the trooper's chestplate. Adrial maintained a defensive position, covering Kal and Jorran from errant fire while they engaged the enemy. As Kal charged into the fray, felling a trooper with a thrust through his helm, one of the troopers leapt at him with a vibroblade slashing for his throat. With great agility, Kal tore his blade through the side of his last foe's head and struck the vibroblade full on, cleaving it in twain near the hilt. With a quick step to the left and a flick of his wrist, he eviscerated the hapless Stormtrooper.

Although half of the troopers were still standing, the blaster fire ceased. Kal looked up from the corpse of his fallen enemy and saw that the remaining troopers had given up on their blasers and all drawn full length vibroblades, also having taken cover by the other side of the shuttle. Six troopers cautiously approached the three apprentices, sizing them up and forming a circle around the Sethi learners as they moved closer. Ten of them had formed a ring around Arias, who watched them cooly with seven dismembered troopers laying motionless at his feet. Another four were backed up against the shuttle, stared down by Miera. Not far away the pack of nightstalkers was busy dragging away their kill, apparently having no more interest in the fight. Several troopers were slowly crawling towards their shuttle, one of them with one hand clutched to his throat as though trying to keep his flesh whole.

An eerie silence fell over the bloodied field. The Sethi stood, waiting for the troopers' next move. The Imperial soldiers clearly saw that they were obscenely outmatched, with half their number dead without wounding even a single one of their opponents. Kia stood cautiously to the side with her blaster pistol at the ready, having rushed down out of her ship once the enemy had moved out of the E-webs' field of fire. Aasan watched from the foliage with his rifle fixed on the troopers who were facing down Adrial and the other apprentices, curious at the lull in the fighting.

One of the Imperials behind Arias changed his footing slightly, crushing a dry branch underfoot with a sharp snap. Arias instantly leapt backwards into the air with blurring speed and whirled his double blade, taking the heads of that trooper and his nearest two allies. The fighting broke out again in earnest as Kia and Aasan both shot the same trooper, hitting him in the front and back simultaneously to put him quickly to the ground.

The troopers surrounding Kal, Jorran and Adrial rushed them as one, each attacking from a different angle. Polished durasteel flashed, two blades for each apprentice. Kal forced himself to ignore the attacks to his friends and utilizing parry and riposte as he had moments before. The fallen trooper formed a hole in the offensive circle just as an he saw a blade arc towards him and felt it rake across his ribs. Jorran immediately took advantage of the opening Kal had made. The former padawan darted over the still form to take up a position outside the trooper's circle, his subsequent strike downing Kal's attacker and further widening the gap. Adrial backed up through the opening side by side with Kal, concentrating hard not the stare at the stormtrooper who had just met his end on her blade. Shining steel met blazing energy once more, and then all was quiet.

Adrial took a deep breath and shivered. So this is what real battle is like. She had tried to prepare herself for the carnage, anticipating horror at the slaughter. In reality however, she felt little difference between this and when she had to defend herself from the local predators. She looked about and saw that nearly all of the troopers lay unmoving on the ground. Four were propped up against the assault shuttle's landing supports, obviously wounded and under close guard by Aasan who crouched in front of them, blaster rifle held loosely but ready to be used if necessary. Only one trooper with an orange pauldron indicating rank was standing, Kia's blaster in his face discouraging any movement. A ragged breath from nearby broke Adrial's reverie.

Adrial saw Kal leaning on Jorran, arm across the older man's shoulder for support. The gash across Kal's chest was ghastly, and bled freely. "I'm not much one for healing." Jorran said calmly, though with concern edging his voice. Kal's eyes were fixed on her, though with great effort from the lack of focus in his eyes. Adrial blinked in confusion for moment before tentatively reaching out and adjusting Kal's light robe to get a better look at the wound. She winced at the sight. The vibroblade must have struck at just the wrong angle for the ribs to be visibly scored so badly. The young woman placed a hand lightly on the gash and concentrated on wellness, but all she felt was weariness leaving Kal. The wound remained intact despite her efforts.

Kal shivered for a moment, then looked down at his chest. He briefly saw a slice as long as his hand caked in blood and still oozing dark blood before Adrial tucked his robes back into place. "To help slow the bleeding," she said to his puzzled look, "I couldn't completely heal it, but at least you won't pass out now. Jorran, we need to take him to Miera."

"That won''t be necessary." Jorran replied, gesturing towards Miera and Arias, who she had not noticed approaching.

"Miera, Kal has been wounded but I couldn't completely heal it." Adrial said quickly. Miera stepped wordlessly towards Kal, throwing his robes open and examining the wound closely.

"How bad is the damage?" Arias inquired.

"Nothing too extensive. Adrial seems to have stopped any internal bleeding, but getting the bone back in shape will take some effort." She said, placing a hand over the wound. Kal felt as if he had been dunked in icewater and then shoved in front of a roaring fire. Meira pulled back her hand, and all that remained of the wound was a razor-thin scar running across the right side of Kal's chest.

"Now I see why you kept emphasizing a defensive riposte, master." Kal said wearily. He stood on his own now, though swaying slightly.

"I doubt I'll have to remind you again." Arais replied with a wry grin as they walked back towards the grounded shuttle.

"Master, what is to become of the wounded?" Jorran asked, an outstretched hand pointed at the four bloodied stormtroopers guarded by Aasan.

"That depends on them." Arais said curtly. "Kia! Aasan! We'll see to the prisoners. If you would gather their weapons and find a place for them on board your ship, please?"

Kia looked at Arias as if he had suggested breathing air instead of dirt. "Of course I will. Come on Aasan." She stalked off towards the carnage.

"Now, would you mind removing your helmet or am I going to have to speak to a faceless thrall?" Arais asked the standing stormtrooper.

There was an insulted grunt from behind the dark visor, then the trooper slowly pulled off his helmet and held it at his side. He was well into his middle years, dark haired with a face hard enough to break rocks on. A blank expression met Arais' eyes unblinking.

"That's better. Now tell me honestly, I will know if you are lying. What were your intentions in coming here?"

"We were ordered to ensure that no one was to survive to interfere with our operations here."

Arias' face hardened.

***​

Aasan merely looked at Arais and Miera flatly before shaking his head slowly and following Kia. "I can't see what good that will do. I doubt we will have a need to arm the civilians."

"It's not a question of armament," Kia replied, "but one of profit. Do you have any idea how many credits a cache of E-11's like that can bring in?"

The Kel-Dor sighed as he began gathering the weapons from amongst the dead. "Here we are surrounded by death and you think of profit?"

"I can see them as easily as you can." She glared back at him. "The simple fact of the matter is that they're dead and we're not. We might as well get the most we can out of this. Besides, we may need credits for bribes to get back to safety."

"If we get back to safety." Aasan gently tossed a rifle into a small pile near the Dawnsprinter's ramp. "We don't know how many ships there are in the fleet the Imperials sent into this system. We'll be lucky if we don't get cut to ribbons trying to enter hyperspace."

"Don't remind me. We'll be able to get out of here using this Imperial shuttle, but my ship still can't make the jump to lightspeed."

"Then we'll simply have to take over a small cruiser and make the jump with our ships in its hangar." Said a voice from behind them.

Angcuru

First Post
Ch. 20 - Unpleasant Surprises

“And just how did you manage to do that…Jaess, is it?” Miera sighed, easing up her ever-present gasp of the force from the throat of the captured Stormtrooper who had tried to run for it when the strange girl had them distracted. A quick squeeze and a nod from the trooper ensured he would stay put.

“A simple matter of stealthy approach.” The young woman in the skin-tight stealth suit answered. “You were about to engage in battle with the Stormies, and I took the advantage to approach unseen as you had drawn their attention.” She gestured towards the multitude of lightsabers present. “The pilots were about to contact their commanding officer and relay the…events going on, but fortunately I was able to prevent that.” The girl gestured to the antiquated projectile weapon at her feet. Where someone had ripped it out of her hand through the force, which surprisingly only unnerved her a little bit. “And thus the empire has no idea what is going on whilst you…Jedi-types are curious as to my presence.”

“That about sums it up.” Jorran replied.

“But how did you get here?” Kal spoke up, attracting the attention of most around him. “What? She hasn’t told us what she’s doing here.” He said in his own defense, making sure that the slashes in his coat weren’t too extensive.

“I’m an operative placed here by the Rebel Alliance via a stolen Imperial Shuttle in response to reports of several authorities who lost track of an old Corellian Transport which subsequently was found a very long distance away from the point of departure in a very short time. It was arrived at that some sort of mystery super-hyperdrive was invented and thus we must find it before the Empire did.” Jaess took a deep breath.

“That was…quite forward.” Adrial commented.

“If you’re part of an organization with the first Jedi in decades at the forefront and you find some Jedi stranded in the middle of nowhere who just took out a couple dozen Stormies with only one wound, you tend to feel a little awed.” Jaess responded, not noticing a slight, dangerous twinge in Arias’ lower left eyelid at being called Jedi. “Also, Jedi can read minds so it wouldn’t matter anyway.”

“Makes sense to me.” Aasan said, shrugging slightly. “From what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t put it past them to try that.”

“Either way,” Kia said, looking at the Dawnsprinter with new, yet quite confused appreciation. “We still have to worry about the Imperials in orbit, and how we’re to get past them if we’re to get on with our lives intact in any way whatsoever. By which I mean not being charred to death by incessant blasting.”

“Very understandable,” Miera said, “But we have to move on, and we have the question of whether you will aid or hinder us in this endeavor remains”. She turned to face Jaess. “So I ask you, will you undertake any activity that will in any way hinder Sethi plans to finally get off this planet?”

“Who? Finally?” Jaess asked.

Miera frowned. “Us ‘Jedi-types’.”

“We’ve been here for quite a while,” Adrial added, “The Dawnsprinter isn’t the first ship to have crash landed on this planet.”

“As long as your plans don’t hinder the Alliance’s.” Jaess said. She flipped a small switch on her collar. “Arlee, please set the shuttle down as near my position as you can manage. Mind the dead bodies.”

“Dead bodies?” The robotic voice responded into Jaess’ ear. “I thought this was a reconnaissance mission, operative Talori.”

“Not entirely, we have to get the ship or the people who were on it still. I reacted to present circumstances which involved those people having teamed up with some pseudo-Jedi and slaughtered a bunch of Stormtroopers. Now get over here as quick as you can, the Imperials are going to get suspicious when their assault shuttle doesn’t report in.” Jaess cut the comm and turned to regard the surviving stormtrooper. “So what do you plan to do with him?”

“This.” Miera said, turning to the trooper and waving her hand slightly, though only for effect. It seemed to impress the apprentices. “You want to tell us everything you know about the Empire’s intent for this planet.”

“We…” The trooper’s eye took on a glazed look. “We were only informed of the goal of our mission. We were to assess the situation, gather us much information as possible from the survivors, and promptly slaughter them. Afterwards we were to await the arrival of Lord Taban-” Abruptly his hands flew to his mouth and he began coughing harshly. Quickly a flow of blood came trickling from the corner of his mouth, and he fell in a heap on the ground.

“He’s dead.” Jaess said as Miera moved to determine his condition. “A bit of muscle memory induced into Stormtroopers working for Imperial Intelligence that causes their lungs to rapidly fluctuate and burst within a few seconds after revealing any compromising information.”

Miera nodded, smoothly drew her saber and quickly drove it into the trooper’s corpse’s right side. She replaced her saber and nudged the trooper on his side, and a stream of blood flowed from the breach, eerily like dark wine from a white cask.

“He drowned in his own blood…a bad way to go, even for a Stormie.” Jaess said.

“If he was conditioned to die when revealing anything, why didn’t he croak when he told us he was supposed to make sure we didn’t survive?” Jorran wondered aloud.

“That wasn’t critically confidential information, it was obvious from their actions. Thus it was already revealed and wasn’t applicable to the conditioning.” Adrial offered. “Master Arias, is something wrong?” She hushed quickly as Arias spoke as if she weren’t there.

“Miera, did I hear those last two words correctly?” Arias asked slowly. Kal winced at his tone, barren of emotion, yet it felt cold and wary. Master Arias only spoke that way when something had him truly concerned, or perceived some imminent danger.

“Don’t even think that, it’s impossible. He died just before we left the order. You saw what happened, there was no way anything living could survive.” Miera almost snapped back at him.

“Who died?” Kia enquired. “What happened? Is it this ….Lord Taban guy?”

“This isn’t good. Whether or not he’s who they think he is, Imperials only referred to Vader and the Emperor with that title.” Aasan spoke up. “”

“Imperials…and Sith.” Jorran added.

“It was the same during the war.” Aasan nodded. “Lord Dooku, Lord Sidious, both were powerful Sith Lords.”

“It’s Tabano, not Taban.” Jaess said, finally getting a word in.

“How do you know that name?” Arias demanded. Harshly.

Jaess hesitated a moment, taken slightly aback from the abrupt change in the man’s demeanor. “I only heard the name in passing during one of my briefings. The Rebellion thinks he’s the only thing holding the Empire together after Skywalker killed Vader and the Emperor.”

“Master Arias,” Jorran asked carefully, “what does the name Tabano mean to you?”

“Tabano,” Miera said slowly, “is a name with a great deal of significance in our past, Jorran.”

“But who was this Tabano?” Kia requested, getting impatient to know what the name meant.

“Tabano was a great Jedi once.” Arias said. “A good friend, and a skilled teacher.”

***​

‘Well, that was rude.’ Arlee thought, setting a patch for descent from orbit back into the as yet unidentified planet’s atmosphere. ‘Organics are so unpredictable.’

The shuttle hurtled like a blazing meteor through the outer atmosphere, the shields keeping the Deepscan from being lit up like a wookie who got too close to a bonfire. Arlee performed a quick check to make sure that all systems were operational before prepping the shuttle to land.

Pseudo-Jedi? Arlee had files stored in his databanks on Jedi history, though why they revered the Force rather than the Code was beyond him. The theories were similar enough, but the pure logic and ultimate truth of the Code would always be superior to the mysticism of the Force. Certainly the Force was a real and true power in the galaxy, but the Code was mathematical perfection. All philosophy is ultimately based upon the quest for some ultimate perfection. Thus as perfection is ultimately truth, it is required to place the foundation for that truth in mathematics.

Jedi often spoke of balance as being the natural state of things, but Organics are naturally imbalanced through their attempts to explain away everything through ethics, a woefully complex and hazardous choice. Jedi try to keep themselves in balance with their own Jedi Code, a title for which Arlee granted some respect. But with mathematics, truth can always be obtained and requires no balancing force other than nature itself. In the Code, everything is a series of equations, matrices, algorithms, and other truths of mathematics in which all is ultimately balanced.

But pseudoJedi? Of course there were the Sith to be thought of, but they were simply a balancing power against the Jedi and had until recently been the core power in the galaxy with only two known practitioners, so these newly found people could not be Sith. Jaess’ comm had caught a strange word however…Sethi.

Jedi. Sith. Sethi. Such a simple combination of words, but it told a lot in Arlee’s estimation. The combination of titles of course symbolized a philosophy somewhere between that of the Jedi and of the Sith. However, there were more letters from the word Sith, not to mention that the word began with S rather than J, so perhaps they leaned more towards the teachings of the Sith. Organics never achieved true balance, which required the Code, so this was no surprise to Arlee. Of course there was the possibility that these were some strange force-users who simply tried to think of a title that sounded…neat as was the preference of some organics.

Having finished his inspection, the old droid turned off the navigation warning exactly four milliseconds after it lit, and engaged the landing gear. He was not so careless as to allow his philosophical musings to interfere with operating the shuttle, of course. With ease, Arlee directed the ship to the ground on the outskirts of the small field of bodies near the two other ships as the ramp descended. His calculations perfect as usual, the droid went to step off of the ramp onto the ground, his foot touching the ground just as the ship touched down. Arlee had not taken three steps towards the group of Organics before he saw a mottled brown shape in his peripheral vision and hit the ground face first as a huge weight crashed into him.

Remove ads